Who Still Visits Guitar Stores?

Just remember to keep your nose up and don't dare touch anything at Righteous! :facepalm

Every time I'm there, I think 3 times in the past couple months as the wife and dil were at Avalon or Northpoint - I have to hear the same shit when they let me in. I KNOW already, I can't touch anything, thanks for setting the tone right from the start. Maybe I don't dress well enough? :unsure:

Needless to say, didn't buy shit any of those 3 times. I get that they pander to the upper crust, with upper crust cork soaked relics all over the walls - but they just ruin the buying mood every time for me. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

Also find it a bit odd how many of the owner's used PRS are on the wall. I know I'm being weird about that but it's just mind boggling how many there are. I know too much I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That store should be taking my money all the time, it's very nice inside, great aura, visually - but add all of the above up, plus the high taxes there and the fact they won't negotiate nor give even GC level trade values - and bah - they don't seem to take my money. Guess it must be working for them so more power to them.
Totally understand. There was a certain aura around the staff. :grin
I was there for a potential business opportunity but it didn't pan out for a number of reasons. In hindsight it all worked out for the best. It's not a store I'd go back to for gear purchases either.

Totally understand. There was a certain aura around the staff. :grin
I was there for a potential business opportunity but it didn't pan out for a number of reasons. In hindsight it all worked out for the best. It's not a store I'd go back to for gear purchases either.
I bought my first PRS there in Oct 2019 and was treated totally differently. So there's that. Forgot the sales guys name but haven't seen him there for years. Also met the owner then, and he was nice and friendly - but seem to miss him ever since.

Just remember to keep your nose up and don't dare touch anything at Righteous! :facepalm

Every time I'm there, I think 3 times in the past couple months as the wife and dil were at Avalon or Northpoint - I have to hear the same shit when they let me in. I KNOW already, I can't touch anything, thanks for setting the tone right from the start. Maybe I don't dress well enough? :unsure:

Needless to say, didn't buy shit any of those 3 times. I get that they pander to the upper crust, with upper crust cork soaked relics all over the walls - but they just ruin the buying mood every time for me. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

Also find it a bit odd how many of the owner's used PRS are on the wall. I know I'm being weird about that but it's just mind boggling how many there are. I know too much I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That store should be taking my money all the time, it's very nice inside, great aura, visually - but add all of the above up, plus the high taxes there and the fact they won't negotiate nor give even GC level trade values - and bah - they don't seem to take my money. Guess it must be working for them so more power to them.

Self Righteous Guitars.

I'd flip the fuckers the bird and walk the fuck out backwards with two hands flying.

I loathe that kind of mentality.

Dungeons And Dragons Middle Finger GIF by Alpha

Self Righteous Guitars.

I'd flip the fuckers the bird and walk the fuck out backwards with two hands flying.

I loathe that kind of mentality.

Dungeons And Dragons Middle Finger GIF by Alpha
Yeah, I just keep getting tempted to go back by the cool first feeling of seeing sooo many guitars strung up 25 or 30' (or more?) on 3 walls. It's really something and I guess what they rely on the most? That and a lot of peeps with lots of disposable income in that area.

Was great - loved the place, then staff changed. I even got an attitude when I bought my MII Jackson there and figured they would clean the nasty ass frets while changing strings. They didn't, I then asked nicely and was furnished with an attitude lol. Only good part of that is that guy no longer works there. So there's hope?? Idk.

I'm out of Righteous "stories" now lmao.

Yeah, I just keep getting tempted to go back by the cool first feeling of seeing sooo many guitars strung up 25 or 30' (or more?) on 3 walls. It's really something and I guess what they rely on the most? That and a lot of peeps with lots of disposable income in that area.

Was great - loved the place, then staff changed. I even got an attitude when I bought my MII Jackson there and figured they would clean the nasty ass frets while changing strings. They didn't, I then asked nicely and was furnished with an attitude lol. Only good part of that is that guy no longer works there. So there's hope?? Idk.

How tf are you supposed to try out a guitar if you're not allowed to touch anything? :unsure: :facepalm

I won't say the guy's name, but it may be the same dude. But yeah it's cool to see so many guitars on a wall in one place -- being a lover of instruments.

How tf are you supposed to try out a guitar if you're not allowed to touch anything? :unsure: :facepalm
Well you have to ask nicely! :grin And I'm guessing they've had enough morons browsing and fingering everything up before to make them do this?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's just always there in the 1st or 2nd sentence when they let you in the locked door. I guess it's built up over multiple trips to start to annoy me lmao.

Still plenty of small music shops in my area. I live within 20 minutes of two Guitar Dumpsters Centers and there's a third across a bridge in SF. That's a bigger store. Across another bridge is a Bananas at Large. Those two would be a day trip
We must be fairly close to each other... I'm in Vacaville.

Our local store is closing in the next couple months - the owner decided to retire. Pretty good for a mom and pop shop

Have you checked out Danville Music?

Well you have to ask nicely! :grin And I'm guessing they've had enough morons browsing and fingering everything up before to make them do this?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's just always there in the 1st or 2nd sentence when they let you in the locked door. I guess it's built up over multiple trips to start to annoy me lmao.

Walking into the store: "We are closing in 15 minutes!!" :hmm

As if no one ever knows what time it is, or that clocks exist. :facepalm

We must be fairly close to each other... I'm in Vacaville.

Our local store is closing in the next couple months - the owner decided to retire. Pretty good for a mom and pop shop

Have you checked out Danville Music?
Yes we are! Pinole here, right behind Green Day High School.

I used to work in Danville but have never been to Danville Music :sofa

There's a GC 5-10 minutres away of me. Selection is pretty decent. I bought 2 guitars there since the start of the year. There's a other GC maybe 20 minutes away, I go there sometimes too. There's also a couple a mom and pops closeby. S'all good, ain't no thang.

I still have an SM58 I bought at Chuck Levin's way back before the creation of time. And it still works just like it did when it was brand new. Also bought a Mashall JCM900 there that I wish I still had, among other things.

These days I hit the local stores at least once a month. There's 4 GC's within a 30 minute drive, 4 Music Go Rounds, and more indy stores than I've visited.

Some local metal guys just opened a place called The Shred Den that I want to visit, but from what I've seen so far, you better be ready to buy some higher end gear there and I don't currently need any big ticket stuff.

I still have an SM58 I bought at Chuck Levin's way back before the creation of time. And it still works just like it did when it was brand new. Also bought a Mashall JCM900 there that I wish I still had, among other things.
Cool! That's where I bought my JCM900 too! (Don't wish I still had it though. :rofl)

Nearest Guitar Denter is an hour away, and there’s one last music shop that I pop into every now and then to visit some of the workers that I’ve known for a long time. I also go there if I’m hurting for a cable, strings, or want something odd like a slide or a strap or something like that.

Supporting local is getting harder and harder. “I can order it, it’ll be here in two weeks” 😔

It’s kind of a ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t’ kind of situation around here. There’s plenty of nice gear, but not in the stores. If you stock high dollar items, they’re going to gather dust because people in that market know exactly what they want.

Last edited:
Back