Who is this Sunn powered cab for?

So the new Sunn is putting out what appears to be an underpowered, featureless Mission Gemini 2 in 1x12 and 2x12 options and a few hundred $$$ more than the actual Gemini 2 (which has a few more bells and whistles). But for whom? Do doom and stoner guys want full-range cabs that don’t put out 200dB?

Also a range of 85hz downwards for an "FRFR" is... Your run of the mill Headrush "FRFR"-112 is at 46hz according to Thomann. I mean, those measures sometimes don't mean that much, but... 85hz is still quite "high" for the lows.

2300$$$$?????? WTF?

@BahamaDada sometimes the frequency range refers to the "linear" chunk of the spectrum reproduced by the device.
85Hz might mean that the cab is "linear" down to 85 and not that is uncapable of reproducing lower frequencies.

I can't understand anyone buying either

Hey, if all you want is a road-worthy "FRFR", the Powercab is actually a really solid option.

To be fair, i don't know if'd pay retail, but a used unit is probably going to be the best deal for a quality stereo setup out there. I've seen Powercab 212's listed in Reverb for ~$900.

Last edited:
The only thing that makes sense based on this and the outrageous 100s/200s pricing is that they're trying to position Sunn as their high-end brand. It's funny, because to me, Sunn will always be the weird off-brand that we got for cheap at pawn shops. I still have a pair of Sunn wedges out in the garage that I bought for $10.

Hey, if all you want is a road-worthy "FRFR", the Powercab is actually a really solid option.

To be fair, i don't know if'd pay retail, but a used unit is probably going to be the best deal for a quality stereo setup out there. I've seen Powercab 212's listed in Reverb for ~$900.
The 112; yes. The 212 at that price and weight; absolutely not.

Wow, this takes the sh*tcake, imho.

The powered speakers didn't show pricing info when they launched, but this is seriously laughable.

Goodbye Sunn, I know you tried, but you screwed up. Even "made in USA" won't justify these prices.

Sorry, not sorry.

Angry, rather. :D

Back