Which Recto?

Jaji

Groupie
I've been GASsing for a rectifier amp. But, I have no need for anything over 50 watts. I've been comparing the Rectoverb 25 to the Mini Rectifier. Having reverb in the amp doesn't mean a whole lot to me, so that's not part of my decision. I found one YT video where those 2 heads specifically were compared. The downside to the video was the fact the settings were not available to compare. But, what I heard was more growl and low end coming from the Rectoverb - that is more of what I am after, but without seeing where the amp was dialed, it's hard to tell if both could sound exactly alike. The Rectoverb pulls a higher price on the used market from what I've seen.

Anyone here make a comparison between these 2 heads? I am very curious to hear what the real world has to say on this subject.

I've owned a Rectoverb combo in the past, and I didn't like it. I have a 2018 multi-watt Dual Rectifier now, and it is probably my favourite amp.

Sooooooo..... that doesn't really tell you anything, sorry!! I found the Rectoverb really fiddly to dial in, and the stock speakers were shite.

I've owned a Rectoverb combo in the past, and I didn't like it. I have a 2018 multi-watt Dual Rectifier now, and it is probably my favourite amp.

Sooooooo..... that doesn't really tell you anything, sorry!! I found the Rectoverb really fiddly to dial in, and the stock speakers were shite.

I kind of struggled with the recroverb 50 combo as well, but those share a name and pretty much nothing else with the newer rectoverb 25 amps AFAIK

Yeah, that's why I won't be going with a combo. I've got plenty of cabs as well as the speakers I prefer, so heads are the route I'm going.
Still appreciate your input! I've enjoyed many of your posts.

I do have and use a Bandlander 25, but we all know that amp is NOT a traditional Recto by any means. It is one hell of an amp on its own, though. I feel like that amp being branded as a rectifier was more of a marketing thing.

Many players don't like mini amps, and especially EL84 powered amps. I didn't care for those for a long time, either. It was the BL25 that changed my mind. I figured if Mesa can make me like EL84s in that amp, perhaps I will feel the same about a "real" recto.

To be fair, I did once have a Road King 1. I wasn't much of a fan and a lot of that was due to the size and weight. No way I will lug a 60 lb head around at 2 am after a high energy gig. I'm not in my 20s anymore, lol! I was also one of the non-traditionalists in that I preferred the sound of EL34s on the gain channels over the 6L6s. But, hey, we all like what we like.

Recto’s aren’t so much about volume as HEADROOM. They sound best running pretty quiet anyway, I’d go for a 100W minimum. You can play them pretty quiet and they sound killer that way. The 50W versions get mushy quickly and you can’t really get the same range of tones as a result.

Any of the 2 channel versions are great, Tremoverb’s are often a bargain, and MW are awesome too. 3 channels get a worse rep online than what they deserve but I’d also try and find one of the others first (unless there’s a 3 channel local or cheap or something).

I had a mini recto, I was disappointed and ended up giving it to a friend when I got the big boy 100W. I suppose it really matters what you are wanting to play. To me the mini didn't have what I call that Recto Scoop..

For me it’s either 2 channel Dual Rectifier or the multi-watt. The multi-watt is more versatile than the 2 channel variants, while the 2 channel models might slightly more accurately target some of the 90s recto tones people sometimes chase.

Are you dead set on it being a Mesa? There are alternatives on the market like the Driftwood Purple Nightmare and the Laboga Hector for instance. Don't know about the Hector but at least the Purple Nightmare is offered in lower wattage versions.

BTW..... taking all requirements out of it.... IMHO..... the 2018 multi-watt 100-watter is the GOAT Recto.

I did play a Rev F at a studio here in the UK, and it was good. Particularly with a TS808 in front of it. But I didn't like it as much as my modern MW one.

Samesies.... but I am spoiled by experience with the big boys.

To me the tiny Rectos are Rectos in name only. :sofa

Samesies.... but I am spoiled by experience with the big boys.

To me the tiny Rectos are Rectos in name only. :sofa
And weight-wise, it isn't heavy. Like, at all really. Nowhere near the back breaking humpitude that the Orange Rockerverb is anyway!!! It really isn't that much heavier than my bandmates 50-watt 5150III.

BTW..... taking all requirements out of it.... IMHO..... the 2018 multi-watt 100-watter is the GOAT Recto.

I did play a Rev F at a studio here in the UK, and it was good. Particularly with a TS808 in front of it. But I didn't like it as much as my modern MW one.
Coming from a tireless revision G fanatic, the MW is the Rectifier to beat. Often times we trade tonal purity for versatility but the MW delivers both. It’s a bonus that they can often be scooped up on the used market for a lot less than the revision F/G too.

Recto’s aren’t so much about volume as HEADROOM. They sound best running pretty quiet anyway, I’d go for a 100W minimum. You can play them pretty quiet and they sound killer that way. The 50W versions get mushy quickly and you can’t really get the same range of tones as a result.

Any of the 2 channel versions are great, Tremoverb’s are often a bargain, and MW are awesome too. 3 channels get a worse rep online than what they deserve but I’d also try and find one of the others first (unless there’s a 3 channel local or cheap or something).

This. Don’t go low wattage on a recto even if you don’t plan to play loud. Nothing good happens when you push a recto. Going small is not your friend. Get the headroom.

If you would want 50 watts in a Marshall or Fender style amp, go 100+ for the same application for a recto.

D

Back