Which COMPACT expression pedal with toe switch for the HX Stomp?

If I was giging I think I would opt for this solution

I’ve done this setup. It works great, just not as elegant as an expression pedal with a toe switch.

I've found that every setup requires me to work against years of muscle memory built up of having separate wah and volume pedals.

You can set the FS inputs any way you like. It works with pretty much any footswitch (latch or momentary, plus you can reverse the polarity in the settings) and EXP pedals. So you could have, say, FS4 (referring to the Stomp here, the numbers vary on the Floor/LT/Rack) act as a switch and FS5 as an EXP input. Pretty much any combination imagineable is available, so I can't see why the Hotone wouldn't work.
But on the floor you can’t add switches in the expression pedal inputs this way right?

You can set the FS inputs any way you like. It works with pretty much any footswitch (latch or momentary, plus you can reverse the polarity in the settings) and EXP pedals. So you could have, say, FS4 (referring to the Stomp here, the numbers vary on the Floor/LT/Rack) act as a switch and FS5 as an EXP input. Pretty much any combination imagineable is available, so I can't see why the Hotone wouldn't work. Yes, it takes a while sometimes because the menus are small and not on one preference page (in fact, they're in 3 sections), so that might be a little confusing (it was for me), but it's all there.
The very thing lacking is a global curve parameter for the expression pedal, the only thing allowing for adjustments would be the volume block (and it's just linear and logarithmic you can select), so you're pretty much at the mercy of the EXP pedal maker. I really wish Line 6 would add that. I could not use an external EXP I had around as a wah because the curve was just so bad.
the Hotone doesn't work because the expression pedal has tip and sleeve wired together for some mysterious reasons. In order to make both switch and pedal work with the HX stomp (one cable) you have to rewire the internals.

As a side note about this tedious exchange, you should refrain giving advice about stuff you know nothing about.

the Hotone doesn't work because the expression pedal has tip and sleeve wired together for some mysterious reasons.

Ok, I didn't know that (and it's utterly stupid, if that really is the case - IMO it making no sense to use TRS outs anyway when there's two dedicated physically separated outs for EXP and switch), but in that case you still wouldn't have to open the unit and do it in there but just solder a dedicated adapter cable, which should be pretty easy.

As a side note about this tedious exchange, you should refrain giving advice about stuff you know nothing about.

My apologies. Sincerely.
Still, the problem should be easy to solve.

Oh, fwiw, I just looked up the specs on Hotone's page. It says the switch is momentary - wtf? That way, in case you'd use it to alternate between two things (which is what one usually does with such a pedal), you'd never be able to use the EXP portion globally (which the stomp allows for) because the switch would always only work as long as you stay inside a patch. Now, that's downright stupid.

Oh, fwiw, I just looked up the specs on Hotone's page. It says the switch is momentary - wtf? That way, in case you'd use it to alternate between two things (which is what one usually does with such a pedal), you'd never be able to use the EXP portion globally (which the stomp allows for) because the switch would always only work as long as you stay inside a patch. Now, that's downright stupid.
That really depends... Personally, I'd only want a momentary switch if using one in an expression pedal.

The hardware you use it with should be able to potentially treat a momentary switch as latching, but you cannot make a latching switch function as momentary.

For example, with a Fractal, I would make the switch the trigger for a Control Switch which can persist across preset changes.

The hardware you use it with should be able to potentially treat a momentary switch as latching, but you cannot make a latching switch function as momentary.

While that is derfenitely true, most devices don't remember the last used status after a patch switch,

Back