When nature meets the city

Ok, true story.....

About twenty years ago I was working for my cousin doing htng/ac work. We were putting in two full systems in a big-ass brand new log cabin
that was being built out in the middle of nowhere. Because of a shallow water table in the area, there was no basement....all crawl space. So, as you can imagine, we spent the better part of a whole week underneath hanging ductwork.

Well our last day under was on a Friday, and when I got home and went to take a shower, I noticed a little bit of dried blood on my ear lobe, but just chalked it up to a scratch.......well, when I woke the next morning, the whole side of my head, face, and neck felt like I got hit with a baseball bat! It eventually wore off later that day, and just thought I had a sore throat......until, I happened to look in the mirror at my ear again, and now I can see two small puncture wounds side by side!

So I call my cousin up telling him about it and he's giggling! I'm like what are you laughing at...and he says, "well, Friday morning when we got out there, I killed a big Copperhead and a bunch of it's babies by the crawlspace opening, but I couldn't get them all....and I didn't want to tell ya cause you wouldn't have wanted to go under then" ! Needless to say, I didn't work for him much longer! So much for family! View attachment 5159
Why did you leave out the part of the story where you "50 yd field goal kicked him" in the crotch?

One of our tenants informed us last week that we have some burrowing owls who made a home in the corner of one of our buildings-

View attachment 5143

I don’t have any better pics, but that’s the mama and my lord, such a beautiful, tiny thing! There’s a father as well but no one has seen the babies yet. I heard them this morning when I roped off the area to prevent our landscapers from taking them out.

Tag this one as “Stuff added to my list of work I could never anticipate”. The tenant had done their research and informed us it’s a protected species and wanted to know what we’d do to protect them, we try to be as non-evasive as we can across the property, part of my job is maintaining our LEED/Green certifications and it’s certainly something we take a lot of pride in as a company, so this is just an extension of that, IMO. So I had to figure out how long they’ll be around for and what their nests look like, in the end I just caution tape’d the whole area off.

Hahaha the employees that work in the area that pic was taken are SO protective of them that when I went to put caution tape out a couple came running out thinking I was having the trees cut down. :rofl I went inside so I could get a better look without scaring it and immediately realized that these owls are their version of that episode of The Office where everyone is waiting for the words in the screensaver to hit the corner of the screen.:ROFLMAO:

Kind of interesting it found it’s way here as there‘s actually plenty of areas where they can be surrounded by trees in the vicinity, especially being that we have an airport directly across the street and the noise outside gets pretty crazy, but we’re happy to have them here for a little while!
Dude, it's like a real-life version of one of my son's fave books. Except with people doing the right thing:

Yeah, they don’t mess around!!!

Growing up in Maine, which has plenty of unpopulated areas, we all kind of knew since birth-

Don’t f*ck with raccoons.
Don’t f*ck with a moose.
If you’re close to the woods, be prepared to lose an outdoor pet to whatever animals are hungry in the woods.
Really, don’t f*ck with raccoons.
We saw three fisher playing around in our back yard at dusk one evening last summer...

Oh, the cute bear cat things that can also tear your face off! :rofl
With the trendy new craze of raising chickens by people who don't know wtf they're doing, also the source of many child trauma. "Mommy!!! Let's go see the Chickies!!". "not today kiddo, not today." "But yes, mommy, I wanna....". "NO!! I SAID DON'T GO OUT...

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! BLOOD AND FEATHERS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO LITTLE CHICKIES?!?!?!?"

Yeah, they don’t mess around!!!

Growing up in Maine, which has plenty of unpopulated areas, we all kind of knew since birth-

Don’t f*ck with raccoons.
Don’t f*ck with a moose.
If you’re close to the woods, be prepared to lose an outdoor pet to whatever animals are hungry in the woods.
Really, don’t f*ck with raccoons.
Yeah man when I lived in the Hollywood Hills when the cats got out it was a matter of who is faster…me corralling them ir coyotes ‘coons.

In Topanga it was rattlers and scorpions, same in the Sta. Monica Mountains plus Mountain Lions, and Coyotes.

Back