What's the best super-cheap option for a basic clean amp tone?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I need something small and cheap that will give me a decent basic clean amp tone. Doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to sound like a clean electric guitar amp and have a way to send that direct.

I'm thinking maybe one of the old Tech 21 Character pedals? What else is out there?

Cheap, you say?

behringer-gdi21-v-tone-guitar-driver-di_3_GIT0007405-000.jpg

In the budget options, Nux MG 30 or 300 gets good reviews.
Maybe used Atomic AFB mk I.

People at tdpri always rave about the Joyo emulation pedals, which are sub $50 I think.

Why super cheap ?

I'm going to be playing almost a whole show from the stage, but there are two songs I have to play from a separate control room so I need a separate rig in there. It's not something where tone is super critical, it just needs to be something simple that will give me a good enough tone to work in a dense mix.

I'd prefer to go cheap since it's for such a tiny use and it's not something I'm likely to have much use for after this show (unless I get something I can keep around as a backup).

I'm going to be playing almost a whole show from the stage, but there are two songs I have to play from a separate control room so I need a separate rig in there. It's not something where tone is super critical, it just needs to be something simple that will give me a good enough tone to work in a dense mix.

I'd prefer to go cheap since it's for such a tiny use and it's not something I'm likely to have much use for after this show (unless I get something I can keep around as a backup).
I see

But you own a Stomp ?

Go straight in and cut hard around 4-5k or so. Cant get cheaper than a cable.

This was my backup for a few years. I never had to break it out for that reason but I kept it in the gig bag of my #1 guitar for Justin and for headphone practice.

I still have it but also have other, newer options that have replaced it so it sits in a drawer and gets pulled out when I want it's quirky effects

Any of the old tech 21 stuff will get the job done, even the really old stuff like the various sans amp pedals. Also, the zoom g3 or ms stuff would get the job done.

D

I need something small and cheap that will give me a decent basic clean amp tone. Doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to sound like a clean electric guitar amp and have a way to send that direct.

I'm thinking maybe one of the old Tech 21 Character pedals? What else is out there?
Let us know what you wind up with.

Those look awesome, definitely interested!

I've used SansAmp stuff on and off for years - never loved it, but made it work. My last go round was the first FlyRig and I really didn't like it much as a direct solution. It was usable, but not even close to inspiring to play thru. Not compared to the Helix Floor anyway.

So far the best option I've found for my "direct" tone is the DSM Simplifier functioning like a clean amp with pedals in front/effects in the loop. I compared it directly to the Helix, an Ethos pedal, etc. and it was really much more of what I like to hear. But it's probably out of budget for what you want. On the other hand you might have the same reaction to it and it will be the cat's meow!

Gotta try this stuff out for yourself!

I've used SansAmp stuff on and off for years - never loved it, but made it work. My last go round was the first FlyRig and I really didn't like it much as a direct solution. It was usable, but not even close to inspiring to play thru. Not compared to the Helix Floor anyway.

So far the best option I've found for my "direct" tone is the DSM Simplifier functioning like a clean amp with pedals in front/effects in the loop. I compared it directly to the Helix, an Ethos pedal, etc. and it was really much more of what I like to hear. But it's probably out of budget for what you want. On the other hand you might have the same reaction to it and it will be the cat's meow!

Gotta try this stuff out for yourself!
Good seeing you here Dave!

Back