"What's not to like about KISS?"

I’m going to get permabanned for this but file KISS next to The Rolling Stones.

The Rolling Stones

Could simply not get the whole 'world's greatest rock n roll band' thing in the 70s. During their best era I was too busy with Zeppelin. And then 80s and 90s Stones just got ridiculous.

Then about 20 years ago I revisited the grad slam of Jimmy Miller produced albums they had - Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Listened to those 4 albums all the way through and back to back for a while and it all started clicking. From 1969-1972 they were hitting on all cylinders. The perfect marriage of British white boy blues, American gospel and R&B, rockabilly, some country and folk, and good old garage band rock and roll to get you moving.

Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man, Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Sweet Virginia..... those are just the radio hits. And when was the last time you really listened and paid attention to the production and arraignments? You get numb to it from being burned out on the songs from the radio. Crank em up with some good headphones - you'll be really surprised. They knew exactly what they were doing with the loose and greasy feel to everything.

Cut to the Chase:

This is as brilliant a song as anything that George Martin and The Beatles ever recorded. Take some time to listen to the whole thing LOUD. The way it builds with the orchestration towards the end gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:
Oh really? Could you spill, in a sentence of no more than 12 words?

He wanted to be the biggest band in the world. It was all calculated, but it was so innocuous I can’t do anything but respect the fact that this guy’s creative vision was a success at the size it was/is. He was studying all his favorite bands, actors and comic books when growing up and noting how they all made their impact, he rolled it all up in one big ole entertainment joint and the whole world has been tokin’ that thing ever since.

I say it was innocuous because they were so young and really at no point in time has it been logical to say “We’re going to start a really loud rock band, wear makeup, light shit on fire and be the biggest rock band in the world”, not before or after KISS, despite the amount of bands that have rode that wave ever since.

He wanted to be the biggest band in the world. It was all calculated, but it was so innocuous I can’t do anything but respect the fact that this guy’s creative vision was a success at the size it was/is. ...

Excellent synopsis. Thank you for helping me avoid reading a looong-ass book 🙇‍♂️

Because I was 12.
FYI: When I was 14 My favorite albums were Rush All The World's A Stage and UFO Strangers In The Night. So I was growing up quick.
band rush GIF by South Park

Come On Reaction GIF

What I didn't like about KISS, was that they confused me as a 90s kid who didn't know any better - - I expected much heavier music from a band with all the theatrics. It was pretty disappointing but interesting to learn about everything they did and how their famous live album was produced.

Back