"What's not to like about KISS?"

“This is exciting, yes?”

IMG_0421.jpeg

I ain’t watching 33 minutes of KISS anything. :rofl

I’ve read a couple of Gene’s books, though. While the way his mind works is just about direct opposite of mine, it was really cool hearing how they made that band back in the day and his perspective on capitalizing on it. It was never really about the music.

I ain’t watching 33 minutes of KISS anything. :rofl

I’ve read a couple of Gene’s books, though. While the way his mind works is just about direct opposite of mine, it was really cool hearing how they made that band back in the day and his perspective on capitalizing on it. It was never really about the music.
It's timestamped at the "good part" :hmm

Kiss was like Saturday morning cartons.

tumblr_m8dcijopT61rbgzizo1_640.gif

Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Purple were the afternoon Creature Double Feature.

Hey, I bought several Kiss records when I was trying to think of #'s 9-14 on my initial Columbia Record House sign-up card (the trick is was to save those booklets that had every record they sold, and order from them when you signed up your dog, for the 2nd go around.) So I dug Kiss.

Then I grew up.

But hey, if ya like songs that sound like a 6 yo wrote them, and guitar solos that if you play them before you warm up, actually sound more like Ace, then what can I say?

Kiss was like Saturday morning cartons.

tumblr_m8dcijopT61rbgzizo1_640.gif

Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Purple were the afternoon Creature Double Feature.

With lyrics meant to appeal to thirteen year-old boys who just discovered what their dicks were for.

Last edited:
When I was 12 (1976) I started playing guitar mainly because both my older brothers were. My oldest brother gave me his old KISS albums and I was hooked. KISS ALIVE! was my holy grail back then. The early days they were just freaky looking dudes playing rock and roll.
Of course they were always doing it to get rich and famous.
Yes, the merchandising was ridiculous.
Yes, Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park was horrendous.
Yes, Gene is a tremendous tool.
Yes, Paul is delusional on their place in music history.
Yes, Ace is the coolest dude on earth completely derailed by alcoholism.
Yes, It was still powerful shit to a 12 year old.

Once in a while I take a trip down memory lane, and it's always a few rock and roll tunes from the early day like this.

Back