What was your first amp?

Mine was a Traynor TS-25 I bought used in 1983, the same day I bought my first Guitar for the Practicing Musician mag. That lovely SS overdrive. That's part of what got me hooked on chorus, seemed to tame some of the squall.

Cool thread! :beer

I first played electric guitar through my dad's solid state '70s Yamaha 4x10 combo, which had a decent clean sound but an absolutely horrible distorted sound. Pic from Reverb (not the actual amp, but same model):

umuce38rpikotqqasguu.jpg

So, in search of The Sound Of Rock + something I could use in my bedroom, I got one of these as a present. The TubeStack™ distortion sounded glorious to me:

betytxuymsuktaqdvd0j.jpg

Later, in order to have something big and loud enough for a band, I mail-ordered a Rockman Distortion Generator up to Canada, from the back of a guitar magazine, and used it in front of the big Yamaha combo, which actually sounded pretty good with the DiMarzio Super Distortion I'd had put into my 80s BC Rich:

vbj7k82vnptfygrdneb5.jpg

And then, finally, I worked all summer as a custodian's assistant and saved enough money for a JCM900 Marshall half-stack. This was my amp for the next 10 years, through many bands and gigs.

Here I am at age 15 playing outside my high school with it:

IMG_4459.jpeg

My first one came with a 335 style guitar. Can’t remember the brand but it was very small and only had a volume and tone knob. Got a 10 watt Peavey Backstage after that.

I was 12 or 13 when my uncle sold me a crappy Fender Stage Lead combo for $10. Up until that point I had found a way to rig up the Teisco Tulip to use rca cables so I could plug it into my bedroom stereo, which also sounded awful.

I’ll never forget the day I discovered the overdrive channel. It changed everything for me. I finally started to get how this plinky sounding instrument might make all those big, crazy noises I heard Slash and Kurt Cobain make.

When I was 15 the channels stopped switching. I took the amp out back and smashed it with a baseball bat as was the style at the time.

Back