What is Your Grail Amp? Will You/Do You Own it or Will You Just Play Modelers?

Those are great amps. I have this theory that it is Randall's/Mesa's take on a Bogner. I think the ED was
inspired by the Shiva, to be honest, as they share a LOT of sonic similarities. Great clean channels, and
super thick and meaty Overdrive. Even the knobs chosen for the ED scream Bogner Shiva.

I could be wrong, but have owned both a Shiva and an ED. Neither ended up working for me, because
I couldn't get the slicey-dicey Mids I crave out of either of them. I tend not to dig "thick" tube amps.
I sure can appreciate them, though. :beer

phd3qiyolrf0b2duw8uw.jpg

I have heard that before about Dyne/ Shiva similarities. I think there’s a Shiva model in the FM9? I should try it.

You don’t see a lot of Bogners up here (Canada), so I’ve never tried a real one, either. Also, I couldn’t get past the logo/font, to be honest… :eek:

I don't think I have a Holy Grail either. I went through quite a bit of amps in the mid-2000's, and the ones I seemed to have loved the most were the Riveras, especially the Knucklehead, Knucklehead Reverb, and Knucklehead II.

I also bought more than one Peavey Classic back in the day as well.

Reactions: mk5
I haven't really had any good amps. My only tube amp was a Carvin MTS3200 head that had a meh OD and good clean, and didn't know what I wanted (didn't know shit about gear at the time) when I wanted a change so I went with modeling and haven't left yet.

I have no idea what amp I'd consider a grail amp for me.

I bought a Hot Cat and I really liked it, but I sent it back because the volume was basically off or on, I couldn't get it to play at a reasonable level and at that time I was playing in church so volume was an issue. But I recorded our practice session when I used the amp and the tone was awesome, both clean and dirty. Since then they came out with that new master volume circuit so I've been thinking of giving it another try. It really was a special amp, I just couldn't deal with the high volume at the time.

That's a worthwhile heads-up, thanks. Amps have come and gone through my collection for similar reasons. I suppose that's why you buy with a good return policy.

I haven't really had any good amps. My only tube amp was a Carvin MTS3200 head that had a meh OD and good clean, and didn't know what I wanted (didn't know s**t about gear at the time) when I wanted a change so I went with modeling and haven't left yet.

I have no idea what amp I'd consider a grail amp for me.
To an extent, I'm all for this.

At the end of the day, these items are tools, and separating yourself from the minutiae of the tools and concentrating on playing/making good sounds is no bad thing.

To an extent, I'm all for this.

At the end of the day, these items are tools, and separating yourself from the minutiae of the tools and concentrating on playing/making good sounds is no bad thing.
I can definitely get caught up in the little details with modeling, and even picks apparently ;)

Mostly in my head, but I have a bit of FOMO, especially when looking at rigs like yours 😱

I can definitely get caught up in the little details with modeling, and even picks apparently ;)

Mostly in my head, but I have a bit of FOMO, especially when looking at rigs like yours 😱
Don't be, the thing about getting your grail is that it becomes the norm.

You can choose to keep go down the rabbit hole or realise you've got a nice wee setup.

There are a few that I’ve played that I’ll probably never own, but they stay in my mind as a template when I’m dialing in a modeler:

Two-Rock Coral
Fuchs Lucky 7
old ass Gibson Ga-8t
old ass Fender Princeton

Mesa Boogie MkIIc+. Used to own one; will likely never own one again; will more likely use modelers from here on out.

I have an issue with “grail amps”, because for the longest time, I tried to shoehorn myself into amps that my heroes played, the Mark series specifically. But I found I’m not a Mark guy.
As much as I’ve played it and pined for one, I’m still convinced I’m a Badlander guy. It’s got a smattering of Mesa Recto, but also some pissed off modded 800 elements to it. I don’t need a billionty options, just two good channels.

Agreed ^^
I lusted after a Mark for years and finally got one in 2016. The Mark V 25.
Not a ‘big’ Mesa, but I was SO EXCITED!

Kept futzing around with it for a long time, convinced that it was an amazing amp that I just hadn’t figured out yet. Well I read the manual about 6 times in those years and eventually gave up. Gave it a fair chance. We sold it last year when I realized that I’m more of a Marshall guy anyway. Cleans on the Mk were nice, but it just didn’t do the thing I was looking for.

I honestly prefer my Amp1 Mercury by a landslide. Strange but absolutely true. That little guy kills! Been enjoying that when I want to play a real amp / cab, and also an FM3 for when I want to explore other stuff or play with the studio monitors / headphones.

Current grail amp is a BE-100. lol 😂
Probably won’t ever happen but a guy can dream 😭

Last edited:
I have an issue with “grail amps”, because for the longest time, I tried to shoehorn myself into amps that my heroes played, the Mark series specifically. But I found I’m not a Mark guy.
As much as I’ve played it and pined for one, I’m still convinced I’m a Badlander guy. It’s got a smattering of Mesa Recto, but also some pissed off modded 800 elements to it. I don’t need a billionty options, just two good channels.
The first part for me as well.

Agreed ^^
I lusted after a Mark for years and finally got one in 2016. The Mark V 25.
Not a ‘big’ Mesa, but I was SO EXCITED!

Kept futzing around with it for a long time, convinced that it was an amazing amp that I just hadn’t figured out yet. Well I read the manual about 6 times in those years and eventually gave up. Gave it a fair chance. We sold it last year when I realized that I’m more of a Marshall guy anyway. Cleans on the Mk were nice, but it just didn’t do the thing I was looking for.

I honestly prefer my Amp1 Mercury by a landslide. Strange but absolutely true. That little guy kills! Been enjoying that when I want to play a real amp / cab, and also an FM3 for when I want to explore other stuff or play with the studio monitors / headphones.

Current grail amp is a BE-100. lol 😂
Probably won’t ever happen but a guy can dream 😭

Man I am right there with you guys. I tried and tried. But eventually I grew to hate that 5 band EQ. "Well that sounds good, but what if I moved this slider (Look away D.I.!) a bit more..."

I tend to love a lot of tones, and can never seem to zero in on what I want. That would seem to make modelers ideal for me, but... I end up with the same problem... "That tone is really good! I wonder if I can get it better with this other model..."

Ended up with a 5150 III 50w. much better for me with less options, and killer tones... but... now I'm lusting for a Pink Taco V2. Lol! That reads totally differently than how I meant it...

Ah, one other amp tale... 5 years or so ago I grabbed a used Mesa Boogie 2x12 slant cabinet from the used stuff at GC online. Had it shipped to the nearest store. When I went to pick it up I asked if I could try it out before taking it home. The guy said sure and we wheeled it into one of the isolation rooms. They had used a Splawn 50 watt something-Rod head there. With all the "gears"... Giant friggin' thing, like one of those extended 18 wheeler trailers... Way wider than my spiffy new cabinet...

Anyway, I plugged it in and tried it out, and it sounding freaking amazing... Grail tone for sure... No fx, no verb, just a glorious tone I could play for hours. I played for an hour or so, then packed up my cab and went home. Thought about that sound a bunch of times and looked up the amp online. Sure enough it was listed at my local GC, $950.

Couldn't get over the size though...

That head stayed in the store for maybe a year, I checked in on it every few months. Then, they dropped the price to $450... I called them and somebody bought it just ahead of me...

I waited 10 years to get this one and it was 100% worth it!
Just picked it up back in the late summer....Bogner XTC 20th EL-34
Such a great sounding amp.

XTC EL-34.jpg

Friedman SSv2 is on the way next week as well!
Looking forward to this one as well. I sold off a pile of gear over the past few months to get both of these.
No regrets!

Back