What is Your Grail Amp? Will You/Do You Own it or Will You Just Play Modelers?

Ah yes
I’ve liked most of the amps I’ve had, and would have been content with more than a few of them if I stopped, (lulz) but I have yet to get an amp that made me stop the tone quest or gear churn.

So the “grail” amp for me is just whatever I’m eyeing next, which at the moment is the Friedman SS v2. (Kidney donation and all)
Ah yes, the SS v2. If only they would make a JR!

Ah yes

Ah yes, the SS v2. If only they would make a JR!

I’m curious if they will sell a 50w, but ultimately only being a few DB quieter and only likely a couple hundred cheaper, might as well just get the beastly version. lol

I wonder if a 20w JR version would retain all the awesomeness. :rofl

I’m curious if they will sell a 50w, but ultimately only being a few DB quieter and only likely a couple hundred cheaper, might as well just get the beastly version. lol

It won't. Stupid el84s.

My Synergy+Axe rig is kind of my ideal because I can get any tone I've ever wanted with it and with absolute authority. Mixing the Fractal stuff and the Syn preamps at will on the fly in a single rig is just amazeballs.

The only time I’ve missed That Which Shall Not Be Named, is with the Synergy rig. I had a pretty epic preset that utilized the top two rows for native models, and then the bottom two rows for the 4 channels of the SYN2, mixing and matching OD captures and effects with the modules. An amazing blend of digital and analog. Really almost a gluttonous setup. (Thinks back to being 15 and using a Peavey Rage combo) :cool:

Own em.

Everything: Herbert. This thing can do anything.

Straight metal: 5150 II. You know the deal.

Doom/metal: Orange Dual Dark and OR15.

The OR15 is in my truck with a Mesa 1x12, rest are at home and get used with a Suhr RLIR and an HXFX to replace my pedalboard which was getting out of control.

I still use plugins once in a while; the AmpCraft 5150 is awesome and so is all the Mercuriall stuff.

I have mine, which is my Mesa Electra Dyne. It has its quirks, but overall it is the perfect amp for me. My favourite crunch rock sound ever on the blue channel and huge, incredible cleans on the green (don't use red much). Takes pedals really well and can be an absolutely monstrous 90W Simul-Class or 45W Class A. I use 90W at gigs and 45W at home.

I own two of the heads, one to leave in my basement with my Lone Star 2x12 cab and the other, smaller headshell version to take to gigs and practices (it sits by my front door, along with my Recto 2x12). I would like to get the combo too, at some point, to complete the obsession/collection. :grin

image_6483441 (1).JPG

My Synergy+Axe rig is kind of my ideal because I can get any tone I've ever wanted with it and with absolute authority. Mixing the Fractal stuff and the Syn preamps at will on the fly in a single rig is just amazeballs.

The SLO30 is probably going to be a 'keep it for life' amp for me, too. My Driftwood absolutely slays, too.

For amps that I've always wanted mess with but have never had the opportunity, I'd call out the Metaltronix M1000 and Cameron CCV. I do have the Salvation Cameron module which sounds a zillion times better than the Axe's CCV and the Quad Cortex CCV captures I've played, but I still would absolutely jump at the chance to play a real one.

A 'DAR' amp would be fun to kick around just on principle, too.
What's the appeal of the Synergy modules over the Fractal models?

Ben is awesome. I had a Verellen I had to sell in 2020. Guess why?? ;)

It was a custom build--Marshall based. 2 channel with a boost that engaged another gain stage.

I hate myself. :(

i3iijzjvgjmv72uixes8.jpg
That Mesa cab looks :love

I have mine, which is my Mesa Electra Dyne. It has its quirks, but overall it is the perfect amp for me. My favourite crunch rock sound ever on the blue channel and huge, incredible cleans on the green (don't use red much). Takes pedals really well and can be an absolutely monstrous 90W Simul-Class or 45W Class A. I use 90W at gigs and 45W at home.

I own two of the heads, one to leave in my basement with my Lone Star 2x12 cab and the other, smaller headshell version to take to gigs and practices (it sits by my front door, along with my Recto 2x12). I would like to get the combo too, at some point, to complete the obsession/collection. :grin

View attachment 921

Those are great amps. I have this theory that it is Randall's/Mesa's take on a Bogner. I think the ED was
inspired by the Shiva, to be honest, as they share a LOT of sonic similarities. Great clean channels, and
super thick and meaty Overdrive. Even the knobs chosen for the ED scream Bogner Shiva.

I could be wrong, but have owned both a Shiva and an ED. Neither ended up working for me, because
I couldn't get the slicey-dicey Mids I crave out of either of them. I tend not to dig "thick" tube amps.
I sure can appreciate them, though. :beer

phd3qiyolrf0b2duw8uw.jpg

One can only hope. I’d like to see Friedman build the SS v2 with two el-34’s at 20 watts like Marshall did with the Studio Classic and Blackstar did with their 20-watt head.

I don't know if I have a grail amp anymore, but the biggest grail amp of my guitar playing life was a Bad Cat Black Cat.

I'll never forget the first time I played a Bad Cat at a store I was completely blown away. I couldn't believe it was possible for an amp to sound that good and I just sat there for hours playing it (driving the store owner crazy).

That amp made a bigger impression on me than any other piece of gear I've ever seen or heard. It was imprinted on my brain.

I finally bought my first Bad Cat (a Cub II) a few years later, and then a littler later I had the chance to pick up one of the first year Black Cats that was made by Mark Sampson himself out of mostly Matchless parts. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more. And I had it during a really fun time when I was doing some work for a couple indie bands and playing big loud rock shows at some of the best local venues where I could really crank my amps.

Best live tone I ever had :guiness
I’m here for the Bad Cat love. My Lynx rips. So much so, I’m looking into a Black Cat and/or Cub.

I’m here for the Bad Cat love. My Lynx rips. So much so, I’m looking into a Black Cat and/or Cub.
I bought a Hot Cat and I really liked it, but I sent it back because the volume was basically off or on, I couldn't get it to play at a reasonable level and at that time I was playing in church so volume was an issue. But I recorded our practice session when I used the amp and the tone was awesome, both clean and dirty. Since then they came out with that new master volume circuit so I've been thinking of giving it another try. It really was a special amp, I just couldn't deal with the high volume at the time.

Back