What’s the story on the Triple Crown?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I can’t believe I’ve never seen this one before, clearly I haven’t been paying attention to the amp world for a while.

On paper this looks perfect for me:
- three channels
- separate EQs
- master/solo/channel volume controls
- MIDI control
- built in load and cab clone

How are they in reality?

I have looked at them a time or 3. My mind tells me jack of all trades master of none but I have zero experience with them IRL. I want to say the cabclone is also the older iteration vs. the newest stuff?

I think @TubeStack and @texhex have had or have this amp?

I gigged extensively with a TC-50 and a HXFX based board via 4CM. I also used it 4CM with a FX-8. I really loved that amp but sold it after getting my FM9 + Mission Io "FRFR" pair (stereo is awesome). I swapped the stock speaker for a G12 Neo creamback for less weight and smoother sound. It takes EL34, 6L6, or 6V6 tubes. I preferred the 6L6 tubes for slightly looser feel. Cab clone isn't great. MIDI control is awesome. I did have to reprogram the MIDI default settings because the factory settings must have been created by an anti-social engineer. I simplified them to make it easier to remember.

It's an extremely versatile amp. Perfect for cover band gigs. I never found much fault with it. Some seem to think the FX loop suffers from tone suck (whatever that means). I never thought that was an issue.

I have looked at them a time or 3. My mind tells me jack of all trades master of none but I have zero experience with them IRL. I want to say the cabclone is also the older iteration vs. the newest stuff?

I think @TubeStack and @texhex have had or have this amp?

I had it very briefly, as I bought a floor model that had issues as soon as I got it home. It would work for about 10 minutes and then start being unable to switch channels and the effects loop wouldn't work.

I did have it long enough (one or two days) to realize what I always do (and I'm sure those who've read my posts before are sick of hearing): I like my Electra Dyne much better. :grin

The Dyne, however, is not an amp suited to @metropolis_4 's uses, I don't think. Too loud and too heavy and not enough control over the individual channels. Maybe the TC50 is...? I don't really think so, though. Something tells me it's too modern and overall "hard rock/metal" sounding.

Last edited:
Maybe the TC50 is...? I don't really think so, though. Something tells me it's too modern and overall "hard rock/metal" sounding.

Tube selection can make a big difference. The stock EL-34 tubes are tight and hard edged. 6V6 tubes get it closer to tweed like compression. The 6L6 tubes are almost Goldilocks balance between the others. More loose and dynamic feel. While the third channel is voiced classic Mesa high gain, rolling back the gain on that channel with a higher output gives a nice mid-gain tone that compliments the second channel.

People that have them love them, it was a real hit when it came out. Also a nice weight and size for a 50W tube head.

Midi capability makes it pretty useable/powerful with an FM3 or something, however when I had the amp and it was malfunctioning and I was troubleshooting, I was thinking "I don't really want all this midi crap in here, too much to go wrong," etc...

I played it a couple times at my local shop. (The combo) Easy to dial in, great clarity under gain, and you can gain stage each channel wonderfully. Came very close to buying it once, but something about the underlying tone felt generic for a lack of a better word. Not much personality. Just didn’t wow me enough to push me over the edge. But, that was a couple years ago, and I’d love to give it another spin now that I’ve churned an amp or 17 in the interim.

thats what i meant by it dosent quite recto and dosent quite marshall, it falls somewhere in between which on paper always sounds like a great idea, and while they do sound good its just always just like something isnt quite there.

That makes a lot of sense. I've had that complaint about Mesa's I've owned in the past.

When you try to be all things to all people you end up being nothing to no one. :wat

How about an Hughes and Kettner with that super fancy blue backlighting in the
chassis, @metropolis_4 ?

I haven't tried one. I did play Tubemeisters several times because I really wanted to like them, but I'm just not a fan of the H&K sound. It's too crisp and "hi-fi" for my tastes

thats what i meant by it dosent quite recto and dosent quite marshall, it falls somewhere in between which on paper always sounds like a great idea, and while they do sound good its just always just like something isnt quite there.
See that to me is it’s appeal
It sort of an enigma
It’s got some British inspiration but it not a Marshall closer to a Victory /Cornford or Hiwatt
It can do modern in spades and has a ton of gain but it’s smooth more like a Bogner
It really not British or American
Nor Classic or Modern
It’s got it own thing and a blend of both
And there where I think many have a problem w it

It sort of an enigma
It’s got some British inspiration but it not a Marshall closer to a Victory /Cornford or Hiwatt
It can do modern in spades and has a ton of gain but it’s smooth more like a Bogner
Nor Classic or Modern

i get that. its probably an unfair stigma that every mesa amp not trying to be a recto gets compared to a recto but i guess thats what happens when youve made a classic.

Thanks for that info, that’s really helpful!

How well does it handle pedals in front of the amp?

Yes, the clean channel is a very good pedal platform. Although I will say, the clean channel is the weakest tonally on it's own. I would typically run a low gain pedal in front of it to sweeten it up.

it dosent quite recto enough while not marshall'ing enough either if that makes sense.

You're right. It isn't designed to be a clone. Seems like people want it to be that but it has it's own personality. I always thought it sounds a bit like a HiWatt. It can get raw and forceful but not buzzy like a Marshall or Recto.

It sort of an enigma
Nor Classic or Modern

This, I agree (y)

Last edited:
Yes, the clean channel is a very good pedal platform. Although I will say, the clean channel is the weakest tonally on it's own. I would typically run a low gain pedal in front of it to sweeten it up.

Hmm, that’s a pretty big turn off for me. I’ve got to have a rich dynamic clean channel.

Back