Well, I know how I'll be doing my album artwork.

DrewJD82

Staff member
I followed this link and ended up with some really, really cool stuff.

RevDrucifer_an_alex_gray_painting_of_a_man_pouring_music_out_of_f7cacd8e-b105-4001-8a5d-709d25...jpg

RevDrucifer_music_notes_blowing_out_the_front_of_a_biomechanica_7c629da6-c5ce-45a4-87fe-2e7e83...jpg

RevDrucifer_musical_notes_pouring_out_of_a_biomechanical_mans_h_569a4ca7-9c5c-419c-95f9-25b3b9...jpg

WizardMountain.jpg

I could play with that thing all day.....and this AI art thing, too!

I believe you get 25 free images then you can buy a subscription after. It's kind of like using a search engine in that the better you know how to phrase something or tell it what to do, the better results you get. The first one I just did "An Alex Gray painting of music bursting out of a man's third eye" :rofl

Yeah man, I used up all my free Midjourney images awhile ago and wasn't sure I wanted to subscribe cause it just sucks you in... I knew I'd play guitar less lol. But I did end up doing local installs of Stable Diffusion which is pretty damn good too but when Midjourney v4 came out that was mind blowing.

I tried to check it out and when I click the link, it takes me to a Discord page that says "invite invalid" #boo

I like the top 4 a lot. Super cool.

We're doing something that looks like the style of Spiritual Healing from Death but like a hospital delivery room for our name Dropped at Birth.

Is there an easy way to find your images after the fact? Seems like Discord updates so quickly my posts just get washed down the drain before I can really look at them fully.

Wow, mind blown, rabbit hole entered, hookah smoking caterpillar spotted! Attached here are a few that I generated in my rookie round (free account, generated 38 images and they say limit is about 25 for a non paying account). Totally agree on the thread title, I too will be using this to generate elements if not all of my next album's artwork! Thanks/I hate you for bringing this to my attention ;~))

Attachments

• Moondog_Wily_colorful_mushroom_planets_in_outer_space_with_cats_45ce7e13-c358-43be-9443-292832...png
    Moondog_Wily_colorful_mushroom_planets_in_outer_space_with_cats_45ce7e13-c358-43be-9443-292832...png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Moondog_Wily_paisley_psychedelic_cats_in_cannabis_tree_ab8c4716-daef-4e42-bc60-d0af9df1df4c.png
    Moondog_Wily_paisley_psychedelic_cats_in_cannabis_tree_ab8c4716-daef-4e42-bc60-d0af9df1df4c.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Moondog_Wily_hell_inside_a_snow_globe_b9c8565f-bdd5-4541-a63d-3b2f6c99f82d.png
    Moondog_Wily_hell_inside_a_snow_globe_b9c8565f-bdd5-4541-a63d-3b2f6c99f82d.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Moondog_Wily_devil_playing_violin_next_to_man_on_his_the_death__1a1481de-5c2b-4211-b694-fe5ffd...png
    Moondog_Wily_devil_playing_violin_next_to_man_on_his_the_death__1a1481de-5c2b-4211-b694-fe5ffd...png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Is there an easy way to find your images after the fact? Seems like Discord updates so quickly my posts just get washed down the drain before I can really look at them fully.

Sorry man, I didn’t see this when you posted it. I was just grabbing screenshots using my iPad. I had to scroll up a few times to snag them which was tricky, but not impossible!

Wow, mind blown, rabbit hole entered, hookah smoking caterpillar spotted! Attached here are a few that I generated in my rookie round (free account, generated 38 images and they say limit is about 25 for a non paying account). Totally agree on the thread title, I too will be using this to generate elements if not all of my next album's artwork! Thanks/I hate you for bringing this to my attention ;~))

Man, those are killer but I REALLY love the first one. I’m not signing up and paying until I’m closer to the goal because I’ll waste so much time screwing around with images. :rofl

Man, those are killer but I REALLY love the first one. I’m not signing up and paying until I’m closer to the goal because I’ll waste so much time screwing around with images. :rofl
Totally feel ya'! Just did some "Dragon" guitar ones before my free account got locked ;~(( That's OK, I will sign up with a different email address but will not do so immediately because, yes, I will waste WAY too much time screwing around with images!! Totally inspirational but dangerous on a "time toilet" level!!! Once again, thanks and hate for turning me on to this! I will buy a subscription when I am ready to do some real artwork as well, totally on board with supporting this!

Attachments

• Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_05.png
    Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_05.png
    993.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_04.png
    Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_04.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_03.png
    Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_02.png
    Moondog_Wily_prs_dragon_guitar_full_size_including_neck_and_headstock_bird_inlays_02.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Moondog_Wily_PRS_dragon_guitar_05.png
    Moondog_Wily_PRS_dragon_guitar_05.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Moondog_Wily_PRS_dragon_guitar_04.png
    Moondog_Wily_PRS_dragon_guitar_04.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Although this is not an album, but merely a cover song, I can say without a doubt that I could not have done artwork this good if I was given weeks to make it. For informational purposes, I am going to display what my prompts were to show how I arrived at the end result. LMK if you have any questions.

I first did a query using the title of the song I was covering (Starfish & Coffee by Prince - my favorite song from him and NOT a hit). I did not use Prince in the command, just starfish and coffee. Here is the 4 pic grid I was provided with:
Theater_Of_The_Mind_starfish_and_coffee_01.png

Pretty cool stuff and could have stopped there and worked with it, but decided to take some of the very visual lyrics of the song and search with that. The query prompt was "starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam, butterscotch and a tangerine and a side order of ham" and I got this:
DreamDots_starfish_and_coffee_maple_syrup_and_jam_butterscotch__eef95bed-268e-4145-883a-02f385...png

I liked the image in the lower right the best, so I then said give me 4 variations on that image and it produced this:

DreamDots_starfish_and_coffee_maple_syrup_and_jam_butterscotch_02.png

Of those, I liked the one in the upper left the best, so I said give me a higher resolution/quality version of that one and I got this:
DreamDots_starfish_and_coffee_maple_syrup_and_jam_butterscotch__05.png

I then took that image and put it into a template that I use for my "Studio Live" cover songs. I put some text over the top for date, copyright, title and original artist and this is the final result (image links to the page on my server where this stuff is fed from if you would like to listen - this song is first on the page):
StarfishAndCoffee_2023Mar19.jpg

Generating the images took a few minutes. Choosing my fonts and putting that beautiful artwork into my template took me 15 minutes or so, but I believe it resulted in a piece that otherwise would have taken me MANY hours even if I could have conceived such beauty.

Here are some things I have learned.

1. It does NOT do text well. Many images with have text that is not readable, and what is readable often does not make sense. There is a huge discussion on the Midjourney system that talks about this and ways to get your images to show no text and/or get accurate text on your images. There is not, at this time, a definitive method to get exactly what you want when it comes to the text on your images.

2. You can get a free account, and with that account they say that you can produce about 25 images. I produced 51 with my first free account. They also say in the getting started material, that they know some people will just set up another account with a different email address, but they encourage you to eventually purchase a subscription. I am on my 3rd free account but I will certainly be purchasing a subscription as the results I have already received would constitute countless hours of work on my part to produce such material.

3. When I do purchase an account, I will be going with the pro version. The major reason is, from best I can tell, that is the only subscription plan that allows you to render your stuff in privacy. All other plans (free, basic and mid) have you working in a "chat room" where others in the same room see your work. Most of what I will be doing is artwork for songs that are not yet released and as a result, I would like privacy in developing that rather than exposing my thoughts and artistic ideas to the public. Another thing is, all paid subscriptions are granted general commercial license to use the produced images however they see fit. Not true with the free account from what I can tell. They ask that any corporate entity with >$1,000,000 in annual revenue purchase the Pro version.

4. The different plans are based on the amount of "render" time you use. This is why they estimate that you will get about 25 images from the free account, which allows you 0.4 hours of render time before account gets locked. The paid plans increase the amount of render time and the features available. So with my first free account, I got 51 images, second account 46 images, third account is still running. this is because the images I generated did not use as much rendering time as others might and because I did not use any advanced quality render settings.

5. Just sitting in one of those chat rooms though can be inspiring both in what is produced as well as the commands used to produce it. There are a lot of variables/parameters that can be used to get specific looks/feels to the produced images, and I have learned a lot by looking at what others are producing and what they used in their parameters to get such results. That said, the simplest commands can produce amazing stuff, but when you get into it, you start to realize that you might want to go in other artistic directions and these parameters help you to do so.

6. You may have noticed in the commands above and the images produced, that I was not served a side order of ham in my requests. That is one way that the system falls short on occasion. Only one of the images produce maple syrup as well, but I ain't complainin', just sayin', there are limitations on the accuracy in addition to the text problem.

As mentioned above, if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer as best I can. Many have talked about the loss of work for artists, and although that is true to some extent, there is still the fine tuning and display elements that need to be added. It is also a great way for artists to get inspirations and look at things different at times, so it is also an assistant to artists. Peter Gabriel recently did an interview where he talks about AI and said "we are not going to stop it, so we may as well dance with it"! I agree!

Happy AI'ing all!

Here is another one I did as I was inspired by the Wizards playing guitars as posted by Drew at the beginning of this thread:
Theater_Of_The_Mind_wizard_playing_guitar_riding_on_top_of_a_tr_226bf8ff-b96c-4731-9576-16fcf2...png

If anybody is still playing with Midjourney, I would recommend you do the new "Tuning" feature. Blows my mind how consistently I like now what is being produced once I did the tuning. Here is how it works.

1. You spend some render hours to do your "tuning". I think the simplest tuning costs you 0.3 rendering hours.
2. At the command line, type /tune and then type a phrase or words that you would like to "tune" your preferences to.
3. You will then be given the choice of 16, 32, 64 or 128 "directions" for tuning. I think they "cost" you 0.3 GPU hours for each level. So 16 would cost you 0.3 GPU hours and 128 would cost you 1.2 hours. I Did the 128.
4. You will also choose "Raw" or "Default" tuning settings. If you never use the "Raw" setting, choose default.
5. You will then be presented with X rows of 3 boxes with differently "styled" renderings in two of those boxes. The number of rows will be the value you chose in step 3. The left box will have a render, the center box is blank and the right box will have a render in a style different than the left.
6. In each row, you choose one of the 3 boxes (center box with no render is highlighted by default). If you like the image on the right better than the one on the left, you click it. If you don't like either of the renders, just leave the center box selected.
7. After you get to the end of the rows, you will be given a synopsis of what you did. I made choices in 97 of the 128 rows. The other 31 I left on the middle selection as I did not like the style of either of the renderings in those rows.
8. You will now have a "Tuning" code value that you can save and/or share as you like. It takes your choices you made in selecting different renders, and then applies those style principles to all renderings you attach that style to.
9. To attach your style code to a prompt, you then just type --style XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (the X's are your tuning code they provide you with).
10. I attached my style code to my /preferred suffix but you can also use the "Sticky Style" button in the /settings dialogue box.

Since I did this, I am liking 90% of what is rendered on prompts when I use my tuning code whereas previously I probably liked 20-30% of renderings. Here are a few of my latest with tuning turned on!

2023Nov07_2_14.jpg

2023Nov07_2_51.jpg

2023Nov07_2_84.jpg

Hope y'all dig it! And you can do as many "tunings" as you like to reflect different styles. Each tuning does cost you time though, but well worth it in my opinion!

Back