Walk thru my latest fever dream/delusion of grandeur with me, won't you? (Red Vinter thread)

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
So, a long time ago, in a state of mind far, far away, I was the front man for two different signed metal bands. Played piles of shows, toured, recorded in real studios, all that. It ended a long time ago, but I never stopped wanting to create music. That led to all the stuff I do on my own as seen in the TGF Challenge threads.

Late in 2021, as my life was falling apart all around me, I started two new "online" bands, cause that's what ya did during COVID.

Now, I'm single again, life is on the upswing and I've had more than one person tell me I need to get back into a real band. Most recently a really awesome lady I just met who is really plugged into the local scene, of which I know nothing cause I moved here with my ex-wife during the pandemic and essentially have no social life at all these days (also as seen in the TGF threads... lol), pushed me to get into another band.

I mentioned it to one of the bass players of one of my old signed bands yesterday and he told me to do it. Then pointed out how he and one of our old guitar players just got into a band together in DC and are having a blast.

Wheels started turning. Do I go back to singing? Do I just play guitar? Bass? I struggle to sing and play guitar at the same time, so this is likely out for live applications... but playing bass and singing... maybe...

Then I sat today listening to some of the local metal bands and decided I'd rather just start a new band as none of them are doing what I'd want to do.

Which led me to the same question above: just vocals, just guitar, just bass or bass and vocals... if I write most of the music, I can write the bass line and vocals lines in such a way that I can likely pull it off.

This, of course, ignites the GAS of "well, I'll need another bass... and a bass amp... and pedals... and..." :rofl

This is where YOU come in. Is this idea crazy? Or, more importantly, is it bad crazy instead of hell yeah crazy? Next: I've never played bass in a live band, much less in a band in the modern era so, what exactly would I need gear-wise? I already have two basses (a 4 & a 5-string) but I didn't get either with stage presence in mind, so that's as good an excuse as any to buy another bass, right?

Ok, lay it on me... thoughts?

Last edited:
decided I'd rather just start a new band as none of them are doing what I'd want to do
You're gonna have to start the roulette of jamfolk to see who sticks with your vision, who you think are the best fit for your vision and probably go from there. You might find/not find a bassist to fill the role you need and lack good enough guitarists. It could be the other way around but you just don't know because you're still relatively fresh to the scene. You might just find an awesome singer and fall back on just some strings. You've already got a Helix Rack and the strings needed so I think you're prolly good on the gear front (sans PA/space/idk?)

I'm in an almost similar spot -- origin stories aside -- getting the call for a bass cover gig I kinda want but not really -- not really interested in buying more gear -- especially bass gear because I'm not really into that, but I could buy some passive 12" PA 2-ways and finally have a complete PA system and use one of the PA cabs as a bass cab with the weighty rack PA amp I have. Maybe I'd make enough gig money to happily throw at a proper bass rig at that point...

Am I helping? lol

Playing bass at high level and singing equally well is a special skill not many have pulled off. Guys like Getty Lee, Sting, or Peter Cetera are pretty rare. If you can do it, I'd say go for it. You'll certainly get attention.

Playing bass at high level and singing equally well is a special skill not many have pulled off. Guys like Getty Lee, Sting, or Peter Cetera are pretty rare. If you can do it, I'd say go for it. You'll certainly get attention.
You have greatly overestimated the skill level of this new band. I appreciate the faith, but those guys are in no danger of me dethroning them. Ever.

You write like a madman. There's got to be something you can do with that on a bigger scope I'd think? Singing and playing bass would be awesome. I assume you have a good voice for metal? I am not sure your age range but that plus your location might make it either more or less difficult to get something original off the ground. You have the hard parts already covered (writing frequency and experience and instrumental skill). It might be cool to see if you can pilfer some local musicians and build yourself a dream team and see where it goes? :satan

I assume you have a good voice for metal?
You tell me:

The more I look into this, the more people are encouraging me to go for it, so pretty sure it's gonna happen.

Now just need to bass rig. I looked at a few of those "Best metal bass amp" blogs/web posts yesterday and while I'd absolutely love to have an SVT, it might be cost prohibitive for now.

Any suggestions on a great bass rig for practice, assuming I'll also need an XLR out to run to FOH in live applications?

Is this for fun or something more??? If it’s for something more, I’m with @JiveTurkey go for something on a bigger scale as you are very talented. Location is important as well. I’d never consider something other than for fun where I’m living now as the talent level of local musicians is nothing like what I experienced on the strip…

Whatever won’t cause you to feel like you’re limiting your output, do that!

If I were to do an original band again, there’s no way I could do just one thing, I’ll never be ‘just the singer’ in a band again, ever. I’d gladly be the singer if I were playing guitar as well, or even bass, but the years I was only singing were the most limiting of my musical life.

With as much output as you have, I’d be really cautious about how much you limit yourself in the band. If it’s a situation where you end up playing bass but are still able to contribute guitar riffs, f*ck it, do it up, but we all know how other musicians can be when it comes to stepping on their territory!

Is this for fun or something more??? If it’s for something more, I’m with @JiveTurkey go for something on a bigger scale as you are very talented. Location is important as well. I’d never consider something other than for fun where I’m living now as the talent level of local musicians is nothing like what I experienced on the strip…
At this stage in life, it's all about the fun. Oddly enough, I took all my bands super serious when I was younger, then started one as a drunken joke and that band went further, faster than any of the others (in the end it didn't achieve what the serious ones did, but we were on compilations albums and getting overseas fan mail in the first 6 months). That taught me to always just do it for fun... if success follows, so be it. Thankfully, I'm not in a place anymore where I put all my eggs in the starving artist basket.

And, thanks for the encouragement and kind words!
Whatever won’t cause you to feel like you’re limiting your output, do that!

If I were to do an original band again, there’s no way I could do just one thing, I’ll never be ‘just the singer’ in a band again, ever. I’d gladly be the singer if I were playing guitar as well, or even bass, but the years I was only singing were the most limiting of my musical life.

With as much output as you have, I’d be really cautious about how much you limit yourself in the band. If it’s a situation where you end up playing bass but are still able to contribute guitar riffs, f*ck it, do it up, but we all know how other musicians can be when it comes to stepping on their territory!
This is why I'm in the "start a new band" camp. I want to be the main song writer - at least to start. Ideally I'll find some talented players who can rage but prefer someone else writes most of the music. But, I'm also open to the super-cool synergy that comes from multiple people contributing and creating something none could do on their own.

You tell me:

The more I look into this, the more people are encouraging me to go for it, so pretty sure it's gonna happen.

Now just need to bass rig. I looked at a few of those "Best metal bass amp" blogs/web posts yesterday and while I'd absolutely love to have an SVT, it might be cost prohibitive for now.

Any suggestions on a great bass rig for practice, assuming I'll also need an XLR out to run to FOH in live applications?

Sounds like you have a good voice for German thrash. Despite not being German? You'd do well to find some other dudes who are brutal AF with a penchant for old school and go that route :satan

Bass amp wise; an old school peavey from the 90s could do some damage. Not sure on what the XLR out situation was back then?

Sounds like you have a good voice for German thrash. Despite not being German? You'd do well to find some other dudes who are brutal AF with a penchant for old school and go that route :satan

Bass amp wise; an old school peavey from the 90s could do some damage. Not sure on what the XLR out situation was back then?
Thanks! Funny story: back in the early 90s, there was a brief period where Destruction needed a singer and someone in DC started a rumor I was that guy. For months everywhere I went someone would come up to me and congratulate me on joining Destruction and ask when I was moving to Germany. To this day, I've still never seen them live and/or met any of them, but one of my roommates from that time period ended up touring with them as a roadie in the late 90s.

As for amps, I think I'm focusing in on getting a Hartke HA3500... chatted with Pete from Abominog & Tranquil Terror for awhile this morning and he also recommended that one and said get a 410 and a 115 for cabs, so I found a set locally and just waiting on the seller to reply.

Another idea I'm toying with is getting an HX Stomp and a power amp, since my bass tone right now is a Helix thing that I get with an SLO100 amp sim... But, old school Peavey is always classic metal!

The answer is always yes to the question "should I start a band?" imo.

I'd say deciding whether you want to play guitar or bass could be steered by what your local scene of available musicians that are on the same page as you is like. Bass players have always been the hardest roll in a band to fill in my experience, so going all in on bass might be the quickest way to get a new band up and off the ground. I say go for it!!

Band leadership is a nightmare, where everyone else's issues become your issues. Just ask @Bob Zaod . : :idk
What do you mean? It's no harder than herding cats... when the cats have chemical dependencies... and ego problems... and totally lack any sense of personal responsibility... and drive unreliable vehicles so they can give all their money to their crazy girlfriends so she can ruin your next gig.

Band leadership is a nightmare,

Yep it certainly can be. Something that sounds so simple can be so hard. it's a matter of having the right ones. I have had entire lineups that lasted 4 years which IMO anything over 2 is a minor miracle. This new bass player (whoever it ends up being) will be exactly the 20th new member in close to 10 years.

I'll never be the main guy/leader ever again. Never! People end up hating you for the wrong reasons,
and leaning on you for the wrong reasons, and bailing on your for the wrong reasons, and testing
your patience for the wrong reasons, and letting you and your fellow bandmates down for the wrong
reasons. :facepalm

I like the democratic ideal, and am not into autocracies in any form, be it bands or politics. The notion
of the benevolent dictator is a fun notion in theory, but in practice it doesn't seem to work out except
in rare instances of people's imaginations. :idk

Everyone does their fair share is also nice in theory, too, eh? :LOL:

Back