Unexpected problem with Stainless Steel frets

I'm starting to think I might need to use different strings on different guitars based on the frets:

Pure nickel strings don't wear through my nickel frets as bad, but get chewed up by SS frets

NYXL and Paradigm chew through my nickel frets, but don't get chewed up by SS frets
That sounds quite reasonable. This thread has made me want to try some pure nickel strings, even if they don't last long on the SS frets.

Your just pressing too hard. I have a friend that goes through a set of nickel winds in a hour . I can make them last the same as any other set. Yes stainless steel frets can destroy soft strings but if they are there is something seriously wrong with your technique. It’s like when people get tall frets for the first time and bend everything sharp.

Your just pressing too hard. I have a friend that goes through a set of nickel winds in a hour . I can make them last the same as any other set. Yes stainless steel frets can destroy soft strings but if they are there is something seriously wrong with your technique. It’s like when people get tall frets for the first time and bend everything sharp.

I don't have the same problem with nickel strings on nickel frets. It seems like it just works better for me to keep nickel strings with nickel frets and steel strings with steel frets.

I'm a bit heavy handed, but I don't think enough that it's causing a problem. I'm using tall frets and partially scalloped fretboards, I think if I was pressing hard enough to dig steel through the nickel I'd be pulling strings sharp

Nickel on nickel will kill the frets as well but not as hard on the strings.

True, but it's not as hard on the nickel frets as steel.

I don't know much about the alloys used in strings, but there seems to be a difference in the plain strings and how they wear frets. The plain strings in my Stringjoy Broadway sets don't seem to wear frets as badly as the plan strings in the Paradigms and NYXLs I was using before.

True, but it's not as hard on the nickel frets as steel.

I don't know much about the alloys used in strings, but there seems to be a difference in the plain strings and how they wear frets. The plain strings in my Stringjoy Broadway sets don't seem to wear frets as badly as the plan strings in the Paradigms and NYXLs I was using before.
Also the stainless steel in different companies frets varies quite a bit too. Parker are the hardest by far.

funny, another thread posted he was disappointed his frets wore down prematurely. Metal against metal, something is going to wear. Better it be a string than a fret.

stainless steel is harder than pure nickel. maybe switch to nickel-plated steel? that's what most strings are, like d'addario XL and NYXL and ernie ball slinky.

Back