Tubes are better than digital…

metropolis_4

Shredder
… except when digital is better than tubes. Digital is more reliable than tubes except when tubes are more reliable than digital because digital is less reliable than tubes until they are less reliable than digital. Tubes require far less tweaking than digital when digital requires more tweaking, but more tweaking than when digital requires far less tweaking. 50% of the time tubes/digital is more convenient than digital/tubes every time, but sometimes the other is always more convenient. Tubes have better tone when they sound better than digital which doesn’t sound as good unless the tones from digital are as good or better than tubes. Digital doesn’t have as organic a feel as tubes, which feel just like digital, unless feel is a myth in which case they feel the same unless digital feels better than tubes which have a more organic feel than digital. I prefer tubes half as much as I should like and half the time I prefer digital half as well as it deserves.

I hope that clears things up for anyone new to this debate.

I took your post to be tongue-in-cheek, but in practical terms, if I'd played my tube amp as much as I've played my Axe III in the past 2 years, the amp would need new tubes, while the Axe has seen the equivalent in FW upgrades, adding new features. So while one goes one way, costing me more money to stay at the same level, the other is heading in the other way, for free, going to a higher level.

On the other hand, I had to send my Helix to have joystick replaced, and if it weren't under warranty it would have cost WAY more than new tubes for my amp.
Hmm, ok. But one's a repair; The other is maintenance. I would expect a repair to cost more than maintenance.

78hbpq.jpg

I lost a bit of appreciation for modeling until doing the forum challenge, and now I wish I had a modeler. (Again)

Soooooooo much easier to use a modeler or stay in-the-box with plugs when trying to record.

Use-case matters.

Insert why not both meme.

I lost a bit of appreciation for modeling until doing the forum challenge, and now I wish I had a modeler. (Again)

Soooooooo much easier to use a modeler or stay in-the-box with plugs when trying to record.

Use-case matters.

Insert why not both meme.

Agreed.

Use-case is determanitive.

Like you said, for recording, as well as for practicing or just noodling around, modelers are great.

For the type of gigs I do, with no sound reinforcement, using a modeler for effects only going into a tube combo has worked well for me.

5128129.jpg

Back