NDSP Quad Cortex

Went back and forth a bit, but had a come to Jesus moment. Not only am I getting most of what I'd be looking for in Archetype: Rabea from Helix Native already, but I still have unused licenses for Tonex and GENOME just sitting around.

Much better if I just shut up and play my guitar....

Yeah I decided to sit out this cycle too. At some point you do have to ask what tones are you not getting with the gear you already have. I’ll take the found money (X’ification) with the plugs I already have.

I'll admit I kind of hovered over Nameless but after testing it I think I like Fortin Cali, which I already own, way better. And that has the same Hexdrive and Grind pedals.

I'm still not seeing much benefit as a QC owner buying any more plugins than I already had before I bought it. The overlap is pretty substantial.

Of course on Discord they're all running out of the online store with virtual arm fulls of plugins because integration is just around the corner now.

course on Discord they're all running out of the online store with virtual arm fulls of plugins because integration is just around the corner now.
All part of the plan 🤣

I'm still not seeing much benefit as a QC owner buying any more plugins than I already had before I bought it. The overlap is pretty substantial.
The core amp tones most likely aren't going to be the selling point for QC owners to buy plugins. It may be (and I really hope it isn't the case) that they don't like the QC reverbs but the Morgan suite ones are really good. Or the synth ambient stuff on Rabea. Or the harmonizer goodies from Henson.

So I view it more as plugins could subjectively offer better or unique effects that aren't available in the QC and the only way to get them is to buy the plugin

Yeah I decided to sit out this cycle too. At some point you do have to ask what tones are you not getting with the gear you already have. I’ll take the found money (X’ification) with the plugs I already have.

Same. I’ll wait until QC is updated and see what happens. Although if they do announce Nolly X I may swipe right.

Already on QC. And you can stack them to get even more too.

A version of it coming according to Dan.

I think people just like buying gear tbh.
I thought the harmonizer wasn't exactly the same as the Henson. But I have no way to confirm that.

All well and good but the fact remains that there is potential for certain features to be paywalled behind plugins.

Yes, people like buying stuff too 😀

I thought the harmonizer wasn't exactly the same as the Henson. But I have no way to confirm that.

All well and good but the fact remains that there is potential for certain features to be paywalled behind plugins.

The minivoicer on the QC is a very stripped down version. You only get a choice of major and minor scales or chromatic, only two voices and looks like a lot of other features have been removed as well.

The difference is the harmonizer on the Henson has four channels while the QC has two. But you could stack one on each lane for a total of 8 on the QC.

Last edited:
Same. I’ll wait until QC is updated and see what happens. Although if they do announce Nolly X I may swipe right.
I am sure they will have another 50% later in the summer when PCOM is released and they get a handful of them into X

When/ if Dual Cortex is available maybe fall ?

The minivoicer on the QC is a very stripped down version. You only get a choice of major and minor scales or chromatic, only two voices and looks like a lot of other features have been removed as well.
I think transpose is the poly shift coming in 3.0 that will take over the mini voicer
If I am correct ?? Anyone
Anyone

Yeah I didn't know the specifics but I didn't think it was a 1:1

Looking at the Henson now I do see some extra options like delay and panning but, of course, you could achieve things like that on the QC with a bit of ingenuity.

I think transpose is the poly shift coming in 3.0 that will take over the mini voicer
If I am correct ?? Anyone
Anyone
Nope, the minivoicer is a harmonizer. There already is a polyphonic pitch shifter, doesn't matter what someone from NDSP support says. The transpose is a new poly shifter I guess, no idea what the difference is

Looking at the Henson now I do see some extra options like delay and panning but, of course, you could achieve things like that on the QC with a bit of ingenuity.
Henson probably has more scale options as well. Only major and minor is pretttty limiting.

Nope, the minivoicer is a harmonizer. There already is a polyphonic pitch shifter, doesn't matter what someone from NDSP support says. The transpose is a new poly shifter I guess, no idea what the difference is
Well they tend to keep updating fx and amps so it’s hard to know
Original Flanger at launch was awful and that was replaced
Then they replaced the VH4 and SLO
They replaced the tube screamer
So my guess is transpose is likely a better pitch shift

I wonder if the minivoicer is their version of the Micropitch with limited options more just to do that Eventide H3000 EVH thing

Plugin transpose is really nice. I still think they should add the metronome too.

Big thing of the Hensen plugin for me was it had a Matchless/Vox and a JCM 800.

Petrucci would be great just for the effects. It has a modern chorus which is kind of like a pitch detune, maybe it's a dimension style, not sure. Also the delay and reverb are really good there.

think people just like buying gear tbh
100% agree
Petrucci would be great just for the effects. It has a modern chorus which is kind of like a pitch detune, maybe it's a dimension style, not sure. Also the delay and reverb are really good there.
I personally like the Chorus Engine on the QC. It really surprised me (wasn’t around when I test drove it a few years back)
when PCOM is released
IMG_8185.jpeg

I wonder if the minivoicer is their version of the Micropitch with limited options more just to do that Eventide H3000 EVH thing
The minivoicer is a harmonizer. You set the key and scale, play a note within that scale and it harmonizes it for you. There is no proper detune effect in the QC.

Back