Traveling with the FM3

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Brought my FM3 with my as I travel my holiday circuit to see family. Brother in law plays guitar and is in a grateful dead cover band to give you an idea of the genre. About 2 Christmas' ago I brought the Axe Fx 3 and Kemper with me so he could give them a spin. At the time I greatly preferred the Kemper and he definitely agreed.

I was curious what he would think of the fractal unit with a few big firmware updates since and even I have gravitated towards fractal as the firmware improves. I wanted to see if it was just my mind or if there truly was an improvement.

We ended up playing through a quilter power amp and some blah 1x12 in a wooden housing so I was concerned how this thing was going to sound. Long story short after firing up a factory preset for a fender deluxe he goes "So how much are these?". I don't actually see him getting one due to the UI and affinity to disliking screens but he was thoroughly impressed!

TLDR Brother in law who loves physical amps was thoroughly impressed with the FM3 as compared to previous years through a same setup

Yeah, UI for new users and lack of availability at retail can be a barrier. But it sounds really good!

If I had to travel a ton, it would be cool to have a Fractal unit the size of an HX Stomp or something. Realistically, I'd probably just use my laptop with a small interface, plugins, and headphones. And of course a little headless guitar.

I initially bought the FM3 for the same purpose but ultimately found it to be heavier and slightly larger than I wanted for weekend visits out of town. I still love Fractal gear and am using a FM9 almost exclusively now so that's no knock on the FM3's tone or effects.

I'm thinking about getting an Atomic Ampli-Firebox MKII for casual travel when visiting friends. By all accounts it's a viable alternative is smaller and weighs a lot less. It would be nice if it had Chorus and Rotary but for casual use I can do without them. I even like sticking to the basics effects usually and just concentrate on my playing.

Last edited:
Brought my FM3 with my as I travel my holiday circuit to see family. Brother in law plays guitar and is in a grateful dead cover band to give you an idea of the genre. About 2 Christmas' ago I brought the Axe Fx 3 and Kemper with me so he could give them a spin. At the time I greatly preferred the Kemper and he definitely agreed.

I was curious what he would think of the fractal unit with a few big firmware updates since and even I have gravitated towards fractal as the firmware improves. I wanted to see if it was just my mind or if there truly was an improvement.

We ended up playing through a quilter power amp and some blah 1x12 in a wooden housing so I was concerned how this thing was going to sound. Long story short after firing up a factory preset for a fender deluxe he goes "So how much are these?". I don't actually see him getting one due to the UI and affinity to disliking screens but he was thoroughly impressed!

TLDR Brother in law who loves physical amps was thoroughly impressed with the FM3 as compared to previous years through a same setup
Your answer why he loves it is right in the post. Quilter power amp.

Your answer why he loves it is right in the post. Quilter power amp.
You know what's even better as a power amp?

BADLANDER BABY
Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

My FM3 goes in a duffle bag with cables, my mic and some other miscellaneous stuff as a backup for my FM9. I’ve yet to actually use it for anything.

Back