Tough band decision

If the better player is staring at his fretboard all the time he may not give the people the vibes they be looking
for in their night out on the town.

Besides, the drunk will lead to more epic Bob rants we have all come to know and love around here. :LOL:

Drunks are no fun. Otoh, if he has good heroin or coke connects...

J/K
Yeah I mean I'm very familiar with the band that he just folded and I've watched them several times and they all had a constant flow of booze the entire time. I'll have a beer between sets and sometimes maybe even a shot of crown or something but I'd have go way way back to my original thrash band days (late teens) for the last time I was drunk on stage. not judging anyone I just think it's unprofessional.

Wait, I thought you decided you were moving out of state... I'd be pretty upset if I joined a band and then found out it was inevitably headed for a break-up.

Regardless, I'd go with the one who looks like they will provide fewer headaches, #3. For me the hang is more important than the level of musicianship, and I fucking hate people who cant handle their alcohol, act like a teenager, and hold the potential to ruin the band's reputation in a single night. Ask me how I know... :facepalm

Wait, I thought you decided you were moving out of state... I'd be pretty upset if I joined a band and then found out it was inevitably headed for a break-up.
Good catch!

I might have to say GFY! See, you can't get anything by, in this small, close-knit community.:cop

Regardless, I'd go with the one who looks like they will provide fewer headaches, #3. For me the hang is more important than the level of musicianship, and I f*****g hate people who cant handle their alcohol, act like a teenager, and hold the potential to ruin the band's reputation in a single night. Ask me how I know... :facepalm
I am. Big move. Be lucky if we pull it off by Spring 2024. 14 more gigs this year to satisfy.

Yeah I mean I'm very familiar with the band that he just folded and I've watched them several times and they all had a constant flow of booze the entire time. I'll have a beer between sets and sometimes maybe even a shot of crown or something but I'd have go way way back to my original thrash band days (late teens) for the last time I was drunk on stage. not judging anyone I just think it's unprofessional.
I was in a band where everyone had their own flask (except me, anyway). I’d take a swig from this one, a swig from that one. Different flavors of what tasted like a mix of gasoline and rubbing alcohol. Amazing people function this way.

They always got great gigs and by all accounts we played well, too.

Shocking I never caught the herpes. Maybe the alcohol kills it?

Invite the bad player with the drinking issues and the big draw to your rehearsal room.

Kill him.

Play his well attended funeral with the great bassist who is a decent human being.

Win over the audience.

Go from there.
Episode 1 GIF by The Simpsons

I think I mentioned this before but I don't know. Our bass player is moving hours away. Probably the best bass player we've ever had in the 10 years we've been doing this BAND. Not just on a talent level but we've become very good friends.

Luckily we have a few prospects that are vying for the spot.

One of them is very plugged in to the music scene out here and most likely just by himself could really boost our draw at gigs. He's not a very good bass player but most likely good enough to learn the songs we need him to learn. He's also a bit of a drunk and was the band leader in his last band.

One we've already decided is not going to make the cut. He was making some demands that we're not comfortable with before we even brought him down for an audition.

Then we come to the one that I am leaning towards. Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look. We hit it off on a personal level fairly quick. He also has great availability.

I guess I am technically the band leader so pretty much what I say goes but it's never just cut and dried I always consult my wife and the other band members first.

The band leader in me says the guy that can boost our draw would be the smartest pick. The musician in me says pick the guy who is a great musician and I get along with really well.

Yeah it's a paid hobby but this is pretty important to me.

Based on the info I have given you WWYD?
As soon as you said "drunk" I'm like "fuckity fuck that". I can forgive lack of talent to an extent (I mean, that pretty much describes me), but drunk? No way.

As soon as you said "drunk" I'm like "*****ity f**k that". I can forgive lack of talent to an extent (I mean, that pretty much describes me), but drunk? No way.
I’d much rather work with average talent who is willing to put the work in and is easy to work with than a drunk that plays like jaco. Keep it. Been there, done that and have the tee shirt to prove.

So we think we have our guy. He's currently working up the rest of the list. Seemefd to gel with us on a personal level also. Decent bass player doesn't quite measure up to the last guy but all he's got to do is play the songs competently and show up on time.

The drunk I talked about completely fell to the wayside thank God.

So we think we have our guy. He's currently working up the rest of the list. Seemefd to gel with us on a personal level also. Decent bass player doesn't quite measure up to the last guy but all he's got to do is play the songs competently and show up on time.

The drunk I talked about completely fell to the wayside thank God.
Just play “….And Justice For All”, and you’re set. Bass won’t matter anyway 😂

"Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look" from your OP, or someone else?

Just curious.

"Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look" from your OP, or someone else?

Just curious.

Someone else. That guy bailed fairly early on saying he didn't think he could keep up with our gig schedule. Didnt even get to hear us or jam with us.

I think I mentioned this before but I don't know. Our bass player is moving hours away. Probably the best bass player we've ever had in the 10 years we've been doing this BAND. Not just on a talent level but we've become very good friends.

Luckily we have a few prospects that are vying for the spot.

One of them is very plugged in to the music scene out here and most likely just by himself could really boost our draw at gigs. He's not a very good bass player but most likely good enough to learn the songs we need him to learn. He's also a bit of a drunk and was the band leader in his last band.

One we've already decided is not going to make the cut. He was making some demands that we're not comfortable with before we even brought him down for an audition.

Then we come to the one that I am leaning towards. Fantastic player, very studied, has a great look. We hit it off on a personal level fairly quick. He also has great availability.

I guess I am technically the band leader so pretty much what I say goes but it's never just cut and dried I always consult my wife and the other band members first.

The band leader in me says the guy that can boost our draw would be the smartest pick. The musician in me says pick the guy who is a great musician and I get along with really well.

Yeah it's a paid hobby but this is pretty important to me.

Based on the info I have given you WWYD?
Pick a musician, you can always find gigs once you’re good as a band.

Back