Top 5 FAS

Stone

Rock Star
Curious to know what all the FAS users top 5 are in every category
IE: amps(clean, crunch, OD, Gain, High Gain) cabs OD/distortion, delay, reverb, modulation, EQ, Dynamics, pitch/synth, wah

Cheers

Folks that can easily distill this stuff down to a top five would probably be better off with like a UAFX amp box or two and a few other pedals.

Curious to know what all the FAS users top 5 are in every category
IE: amps(clean, crunch, OD, Gain, High Gain) cabs OD/distortion, delay, reverb, modulation, EQ, Dynamics, pitch/synth, wah

Cheers
The amps I will have to think about
The other categories are probably easier , I will circle back on amps

Cabs , YA Marshall V30
YA Celestion M65
YA BassMan
Devins GOT ir
YA Vox 112

Drives
Klon, OCD , Venrum , Maxon, Timmy although the New Freidman Buxom boost in the recent beta might replace one

Delay ,Worn Tape, JP delays,
The TC2210, Aurora (halo) , Carbon Copy

Reverbs : Deluxe spring, South Church , Echo room , Cirrcocumulus( or whatever the heck it’s called it’s one of the cloud verbs ) and Coliseum

Mods : Mxr EVH flanger, MXR EVH
Phaser , Tremolo soft and then a square wave chopper type effect
Dimension Chorus, FAS vibe

Pitch , the Virtual Capo, Micropitch like the EVH , Dual Harmony
Whammy Dive bomb

wah The Mortal , I use Leon Todd’s Petrucci
I use the Cry baby model but with the sweep values found here
Which is super helpful and easy to plug in the values show for min and max

I like the Cantrell voicing
The Slash

That’s about all I can think of at the moment from looking at presets

Jeez... This is all Axe III...

Umm, JPIIC, Recto, Triple Crest, Brit 800, SLO 100, FAS Modern, Mark IV. I use them for all types of amp sounds; no particular go-to's for cleans, eg.

Chorus: Dimension 2, Stereo Tri-Chorus, Analog Stereo
Pitch: Virtual Capo, Dual Detune (favorite!), Dual Detune Delay
I don't use much Drives- I get most all of it from the Amp Block, especially since it has a built-in boost, of which you can choose from 14 types!

Delay: Analog, Digital, & Tape Stereo; 2290; 1210 & Quad Chorus in the Multi-Delay Block..., SO MANY different delays... I haven't messed much with the Plex Delay Block, but there's some really cool sounds in there as well!

Here's a list, with the number of different ones to choose from:
Delay-27
Megatap-20
Multi-Delay-34
Plex Delay-44
Ten-Tap Delay-2
And the Pitch Block has 3 delays
Except for the Mega-Tap, you can use 4 instances of each of those types in the same preset (until it gets so crazy that the CPU would tap out. But that takes a LOT!)

This is a big reason I don't understand the need for other outboard delays, with the exception of those units already having algorithms built in. But if you like to tweak, it sure seems like whatever you hear in your head can be done, with all those options.

I just did something I don't normally do- I added a few extra "wet" effects to a preset, and it amazes me that it does not get to be "too much," but instead just keeps sounding better. I've never been able to do that.

The preset already had a Pitch Block using the Dual Detune to thicken up the tone, dropping the pitch a few cents on the left, and raising it a few on the right. Then I added an Enhancer, the Stereoizer type, the MultiTap Delay PCM Pan type, turned on one of the main stereo delays, and turned on one of the Choruses, but dropped the Mix a bit. Yeah it's Steve Lukather lush, but what a tone!!

Amazing!

I don't have a top five of everything because I stick to just a few favourites in each category. Helps avoid “option paralysis“ and helps me get to know them. I also don't use effects from every category, just basic meat and potatoes stuff.

Amps:
1 Cornford MK50
2 Mark IV
3 JTM45
4 SLO 100 crunch
5 Peavey 5150 (PVH 6160 Block Crunch)
+ Clean: Mark IV
(I don't use any high gain, just crunch boosted with pedals)

Drives:
1 Timmy
2 SD1

Modulation
1 Phase 90
2 Uni-Vibe
3 BOSS CE-2
4“80s Rack Flanger”

Delay
1 2290 w/modulation
2 BOSS Dm-2
3 Lo-Fi Tape

Reverb
1 Large Spring
2 Rich Hall

Wah
1 Crybaby set to EVH signature min/max specs

Other
Bias Tremolo
Ring Mod (for octave down bass effect)

These are the things I use a lot. There's a million other things that someone else might prefer:
  • Amps: Cornfed MK50, AC-20 12AX7 Treble, Texas Star Clean & Lead, Super Verb Vibrato
  • Factory cabs: 4x12 Pre-Rola, 4x10 Super Verb (313 mic especially), 2x12 Texas Star
  • Reverb: Medium Room, London Plate, North/South Church
  • Chorus: Tri-chorus, Dimension D
  • Flanger: Count of Flange, Electric Mystery..honestly most of the preset types are great.
  • Pitch: Virtual Capo, Dual Detune
  • The Multitap Delay block is really one of the best things Fractal does for effects. All of the preset types are really good.

Folks that can easily distill this stuff down to a top five would probably be better off with like a UAFX amp box or two and a few other pedals.

Nah. I love Fractal effects and amp models, love the devices themselves, and the whole way the company conducts itself. And I can distill down to just one or two in each category (and don't use all the categories).

There's no other modeler or setup I'd rather have, even though my use case is simple/focused.

Hard to say since I jump around a lot depending on what I need. These are some of my go-to staples though:

Amps
-1987x
-5f8
-Hot Kitty
-OD-100
-Mark IIc+

Drive pedals
-SDD Pre
-FET Pre
-RC Booster
-Blues Breaker

Comp
-JFET
-Dynacomp

Chorus
-80’s style
-ce-2
-Dimension

Reverb
-Deluxe spring
-Sun plate
-London plate
-“Cloud” types

Delay
-dm-2
-Carbon Copy
-Stereo Mind Guy
-Worn tape

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Here are my current favorites:

Amps:
- Brit JM45 - does clean to bluesy gain wonderfully, currently my favorite clean amp, and can take a boost nicely
- 65 Bassman - go-to for Fender cleans
- Class A 30W TB - really nice for clean to light OD especially in stereo with a Marshall
- Brit 800 - you have to lower the bright cap down to 50-100 but it does cleanish up to medium gain and with a boost sounds killer as well
- Friedman BE/HBE C45 - need to take down the depth and often presence but awesome for modern rock rhythm
- 5153 Blue 50w - favorite for higher gain, a little more scooped in a nice way

Drives:
- Klone Chiron - awesome boost to go from clean to OD or for crunch to lead
- Bosom Boost - a little more transparent than the Klon but tightens up the lows nicely
- OCD - I can't ever get DS-1 or Rat pedals to work so this is good when you need a fuzzy pedal gain for a clean amp

Chorus:
- Japan CE-2 - really great for out in front of the amp like you'd do with a real CE-2
- Dimension 1 - nice for stereo post-amp chorus
- Digital Stereo - another nice post-amp chorus

Pitch:
- Dual Detune - I use this way too much, look up Leon Todd's videos and get his settings, it's a blast

Delay:
- Stereo Tape - go-to delay, really like it with 95% offset to just widen the repeats
- 2290 Mod - really fun delay for 80's stuff that isn't ping pong/syncopated
- Stereo Mind Guy - set for 75% offset to do that EJ/Edge thing, nice modulated repeats

Reverb:
- Medium Room - turn up the mix and then nudge the time up a bit and it sounds great for headphones
- London Plate - for plate sounds
- Large Hall - for hall sounds

Back