Tonex Hardware vs Software

Jack Ripper

Does anyone know if the Tonex Pedal sounds the same as the Tonex plugin. I am asking because I installed the plugin an was very unimpressed.

No excessive noise from mine, kinda weak output (INSTRUMENT not LINE) but not a terminal problem.
Like anything more high-tech than a stick and a log, read the manual and learn how to dial it to taste.
To my ears, once you've learned how, it sounds just like the SW.
As mentioned above, try the Amalgam stuff.

If you only tried IK created captures, you're missing out. Try some of the free Creator capture online. My fav's are amalgam audio.
I will check out some amalgam captures, I tried out about 15 different ones but i guess it is just the luck of the draw unless you know which ones sound best in advance. The noise gate is not great that’s for sure.

I made a pedal board using a Tonex. It's all lower gain, edge of breakup captures with 3 ext. drives, a Bogner Bloom, and TCE Plethora X3. I play fusion/modern blues/neo soul R&B type stuff. Not metal, so my experiences may leave you wanting more out of it.

Best of luck figuring it out, there are plenty of choices for gear, these days.

Last edited:
I made a pedal board using a Tonex. It's all lower gain, edge of breakup captures with 3 ext. drives, a Bogner Bloom, and TCE Plethora X3. I play fusion/modern blues/neo soul R&B type stuff. Not metal, so my experiences may leave you wanting more out of it.

Best of luck figuring it out, there are plenty of choices for gear, these days.
I thought about making a pedal board with Tonex that is why I was checking out the plugin. I discovered the Neural Amp Modeler last night. I struggled with Tonex for a couple of hours but got a decent tone with the Neural Amp Modeler in about 10 minutes. Your are right there is so many choices it can be distracting. You might as well add Neo Metal to that list 😂 I play Country, Funk/R&B to make money but mainly Metal at home. 😄

Love metal but don't have the high speed rhythm chops with my arthritic thumbs, nor can I effectively sweep pick. Once there is an affordable, portable, practical hardware option for playing NAM captures, a lot more people will be content. I have no problem getting what I need out of my Tonex, but I stack multiple lower gain drives to give me a super sustaining edgy lead tone. I no longer ask my amps or amp models to do all the heavy lifting.

I understand completely when I practiced for 12 hours a day as a kid I was probably a lot faster than I am now lol, I usually go through a boss GT-100 into an amp, but I was looking at a plug-in so I wouldn’t disturb the wife as much haha 😂 You are right about the affordability I don’t think I will ever be able to bring myself to pay over 800 bucks for a multi effects unit.

Back