Thomann question

Justincase

Roadie
Has anyone from the states been hit with import fees ordering from these guys? I've read if your order is $800 or more you can get hit with customs fees but it's hit or miss. Share your experience please.

Exactly, that's what I said, VAT and customs duties are two different things.
I get that...the question I'm asking "Are people usually hit with US import fees ordering from Thomann?" I've read it's hit or miss and I was asking if anyone has any personal experience.

I get that...the question I'm asking "Are people usually hit with US import fees ordering from Thomann?"
I understand, I'm just saying you should be asking a general customs duties question to people who imported musical instruments into USA (in case you guys have different rules for musical instruments like some countries do).
It really doesn't matter where you buy. Customs inspect what's entering the country no matter if it's from Thomann Germany, or a shop in Hungary, or a dude on eBay from Japan, or mom and pop store in Papua New Guinea.

I understand, I'm just saying you should be asking a general customs duties question to people who imported musical instruments into USA (in case you guys have different rules for musical instruments like some countries do).
It really doesn't matter where you buy. Customs inspect what's entering the country no matter if it's from Thomann Germany, or a shop in Hungary, or a dude on eBay from Japan, or mom and pop store in Papua New Guinea.
Ok...I'm specifically asking about this because alot of times the company and country of origin both can matter on what slips through and what doesn't. So that's why I'm specifically asking about PEOPLES PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ordering from here...I'm not asking about the rules or how it works. I obviously understand this. I will ask a question however I feel is relevant regardless of what you feel I should be asking. Is that ok with you?

giphy.gif

Ok...I'm specifically asking about this because alot of times the company and country of origin both can matter on what slips through and what doesn't. So that's why I'm specifically asking about PEOPLES PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ordering from here...I'm not asking about the rules or how it works. I obviously understand this. I will ask a question however I feel is relevant regardless of what you feel I should be asking. Is that ok with you?

Pretty sure @Bruce would know the answer to your question. I think he has purchased from Thomann.

My understanding is there are exceptions for personal use, versus someone being an importer for resale purposes.
Don't quote me on that, though. 😁

I ordered a Behringer mixer from Thomann about a month ago. It was 600 bucks cheaper than I could have bought it here and that was before tax. I paid maybe 60 in shipping and no customs. Stand by I have a 4000 dollar order en rte now with an interface and an SSL compressor. It’s been in customs for about a day now. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I do know germany has a favored trade agreement with the USA. That tends to end in lower overall customs rates.

Pretty sure @Bruce would know the answer to your question. I think he has purchased from Thomann.

My understanding is there are exceptions for personal use, versus someone being an importer for resale purposes.
Don't quote me on that, though. 😁
It’s a super complicated process and there are a LOT of exemptions, classifications etc. Jobs that ship internationally a lot have dedicated people who handle just customs clearance, it’s pretty interesting. Generally, depending on the item, there is/are personal dollar amount exemptions. I’m just a moron on the internet so don’t quote me, but how I understand it if you have an 1800 dollar exemption and the item was 1900, you pay customs on the 100 dollar overage.

I get that...the question I'm asking "Are people usually hit with US import fees ordering from Thomann?" I've read it's hit or miss and I was asking if anyone has any personal experience.
I don’t really think stuff “slips through”. If customs are due, you’ll pay. I think a lot of stuff you or I would tend to import would be exempt. A lot of audio reproduction stuff seems like it’s exempt from the things I’ve read. If you Google enough there are a few online calculators you can use to see before hand. What I don’t understand is the brokerage fees from private customs brokers, they can get REALLY high, as high as the item. You or I wouldn’t need to worry because the service Thomann uses is UPS and the level of shipping they use the brokerage fees are included in the cost of shipping.
I did hear a fed ex horror story of getting a customs bill from fed ex a month after the item was delivered. It was a used mic. Fed ex will pursue that money in collections.

I don’t really think stuff “slips through”. If customs are due, you’ll pay. I think a lot of stuff you or I would tend to import would be exempt. A lot of audio reproduction stuff seems like it’s exempt from the things I’ve read. If you Google enough there are a few online calculators you can use to see before hand. What I don’t understand is the brokerage fees from private customs brokers, they can get REALLY high, as high as the item. You or I wouldn’t need to worry because the service Thomann uses is UPS and the level of shipping they use the brokerage fees are included in the cost of shipping.
I did hear a fed ex horror story of getting a customs bill from fed ex a month after the item was delivered. It was a used mic. Fed ex will pursue that money in collections.
Thanks for the reply Bruce...the only reason I am asking is I ran across this thread which made me wonder if it was even worth trying to save $100 on a guitar that was just under $800 on their website. Probably better to just better order here in the states especially if it needs to go back.

I've decided I'd probably only be willing to risk crazy fees if it was a special collectors piece and not a readily available production guitar.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bruce...the only reason I am asking is I ran across this thread which made me wonder if it was even worth trying to save $100 on a guitar that was just under $800 on their website. Probably better to just better order here in the states especially if it needs to go back.

I've decided I'd probably only be willing to risk crazy fees if it was a special collectors piece and not a readily available production guitar.
In my case I’m saving 2k on a 4K order that would have been 6k here taxed and shipped. For 100 bucks I really don’t know. For a few hundred I’d order from thomann. Depends how quick I wanted the item. Some things on their site a deeply discounted, others are not.

Back