This is what sucks about digital...

metropolis_4

Shredder
... and at the same time what is so great about digital.

I've got a rehearsal tonight. Because of weather, logistics, and life, I'm only going to have 1 hour at the venue to put together all my electric guitar sounds that I'll be using for the next 2 months.

Nothing too crazy, I just need a slightly pushed clean, an edge of breakup, a light overdrive, and a mid-high gain lead. So since I'll have so little time I'm trying to plan out in my head what I'm going to use for those 4 basic amp sounds and I start running into this problem:

- Should I use one amp model and pedals for the OD/Dist?
- Or should I use multiple amps so I can use amp OD/Dist?
- If I go with pedals, should I go with Fender for the base + RC1 -> BluesBreaker -> Timmy -> Zendrive?
- Or should I go with Vox for the base + Rangemaster -> SDD Pre -> Hotcake -> ts808?
- If I go with amps should I go classic Fender / Vox / Marshall?
- Or should I use All Fenders? Or all Marshalls?
- If I go Vox will I be better of with the Vox models, Matchless, Dr Z, or Morgan?

There are so many ways to skin the cat that it's hard to decide on a path. Because there are about 1,000 ways I could do this and all of them will be awesome. So I'm stuck in analysis paralysis...

But the great thing about digital is that I actually have the problem of deciding which of many options is going to give me the best possible results rather than knowing that the rig I've got is something like a DSL40 + ts9 + Rat and I'll have to just make what I have work the best I can even though it won't be ideal.

I’ve gotta go track some leads, and at least on the fractal I can consider maybe switching up to go use either a Komet or a Trainwreck, or some other cool amp just for giggles.

I’m mostly using an Orange in this week’s challenge for a heavier vibe, which is an amp I rarely use. Like hardly ever.

It’s fun to have the pallet at your fingertips to work with.

... and at the same time what is so great about digital.

I've got a rehearsal tonight. Because of weather, logistics, and life, I'm only going to have 1 hour at the venue to put together all my electric guitar sounds that I'll be using for the next 2 months.

Nothing too crazy, I just need a slightly pushed clean, an edge of breakup, a light overdrive, and a mid-high gain lead. So since I'll have so little time I'm trying to plan out in my head what I'm going to use for those 4 basic amp sounds and I start running into this problem:

- Should I use one amp model and pedals for the OD/Dist?
- Or should I use multiple amps so I can use amp OD/Dist?
- If I go with pedals, should I go with Fender for the base + RC1 -> BluesBreaker -> Timmy -> Zendrive?
- Or should I go with Vox for the base + Rangemaster -> SDD Pre -> Hotcake -> ts808?
- If I go with amps should I go classic Fender / Vox / Marshall?
- Or should I use All Fenders? Or all Marshalls?
- If I go Vox will I be better of with the Vox models, Matchless, Dr Z, or Morgan?

There are so many ways to skin the cat that it's hard to decide on a path. Because there are about 1,000 ways I could do this and all of them will be awesome. So I'm stuck in analysis paralysis...

But the great thing about digital is that I actually have the problem of deciding which of many options is going to give me the best possible results rather than knowing that the rig I've got is something like a DSL40 + ts9 + Rat and I'll have to just make what I have work the best I can even though it won't be ideal.
I would probably use a clean amp
And a dirty amp both with pedals
DRZ a Venrum
Freidman BE and OD one

For anyone who’s interested this is what I ended up going with:

For clean I went with the Dumble OD-100, and a FET Preamp in front for lite drive.

For the overdrive and lead I went with two Fuchs ODS channels at different settings.

All those into York Mesa 212 and Vox 112 IRs.

For jazz tones I used the Tube Pre into a Princeton IR.

The Dumble and Fuchs are a weird choice for me, I never use those amps but they sound KILLER here!

Don’t ban me from TGF but I actually had a really hard time dialing in the jazz tone :sofa

Jazz tones for comping with a large band are tricky because they build up really easily and sound bad. Usually what ends up sounding good is something that sounds terrible on its own.it has to be very flat and mid forward with very little bass

Jazz tones for comping with a large band are tricky because they build up really easily and sound bad. Usually what ends up sounding good is something that sounds terrible on its own.it has to be very flat and mid forward with very little bass

Have you ever tried not using any IRs for jazzy tones?
I mean, really oldschool comping jazz tones were all acoustic, hence fullrange. And even when things started to get electrified, the used amps were less midfocused than most speakers, plus, you pretty much always hear some straight guitar signals, too, simply becase things weren't as loud. When you listen to Charlie Christian, while the sound is quite boxy here and there, it's still got quite some acoustic qualities.

Have you ever tried not using any IRs for jazzy tones?
I mean, really oldschool comping jazz tones were all acoustic, hence fullrange. And even when things started to get electrified, the used amps were less midfocused than most speakers, plus, you pretty much always hear some straight guitar signals, too, simply becase things weren't as loud. When you listen to Charlie Christian, while the sound is quite boxy here and there, it's still got quite some acoustic qualities.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to give it a try.

The biggest part is I really should start using a jazz box, but for various reasons that seems to always be an instrument that gets cut and I end up just faking it on my electric

this is getting weird british bake off GIF by BBC

Back