This is what sucks about digital...

I'm only going to have 1 hour at the venue to put together all my electric guitar sounds that I'll be using for the next 2 months.
Curious why you cant get at least a good part of your presets done ahead of time and then just fine tune for the 1 hour at the venue.

For me what sucks about digital is that it's not exactly the same as amps.
The other way around also applies, amps suck because they're not exactly the same as digital.

I practice something on the amp, and it sounds great!
Then I plug into Helix, go to record and I'm all over the place, grid looks like just a suggestion (not really but you get it), sweeps that were damn clean on the amp now sound like a distorted mess (not really but you get it)... And then I have to practice it all over.
No idea why, it's as if amp corrects mistakes. Is it the room, is it the tubes, is it the 12" speakers...
Don't tell me it's latency :mad: I refuse to believe I can sense 2 or 3 or what ever ms of latency there is on Helix. Even if @Digital Igloo himself came and told me "If you admit you can feel it, I'll put knobs in HX Edit", I'd still claim it's impossible for anyone to feel it.

And then! I play only on Helix for a month, plug into amp, and be like WTF is wrong with my hands!? I've forgotten to play! Everything is off and fizzy and difficult to control. There's again an adjustment period in the other direction.

Love them both just the same though.

For anyone who’s interested this is what I ended up going with:

For clean I went with the Dumble OD-100, and a FET Preamp in front for lite drive.

For the overdrive and lead I went with two Fuchs ODS channels at different settings.

All those into York Mesa 212 and Vox 112 IRs.

For jazz tones I used the Tube Pre into a Princeton IR.

The Dumble and Fuchs are a weird choice for me, I never use those amps but they sound KILLER here!

Don’t ban me from TGF but I actually had a really hard time dialing in the jazz tone :sofa

Jazz tones for comping with a large band are tricky because they build up really easily and sound bad. Usually what ends up sounding good is something that sounds terrible on its own.it has to be very flat and mid forward with very little bass
Tweed Princeton with a big ol' low cut in front of it and a 1x10 IR

it won't be ideal
I love reading about your process. You go after and I’m presuming by your descriptions achieve cool tones. Meanwhile a Princeton or Deluxe with a small board could get you all those tones and not be a compromise, or maybe even be holy grail. Sticking to triads for the comping could help too. Single coils. Three versions of a D Clone is a luxury and I’m deep in to digital, and love the unlimited palette, but it’s a choice that doesn’t need to be rationalized, especially since going analog with what you’re describing here wouldn’t need to be a compromise at all.

Tweed Princeton with a big ol' low cut in front of it and a 1x10 IR

Princeton’s are one of my favorites for some jazz tones, but for this sort of big band comping I’m finding that amps with sag that are squishy aren’t working well. I usually love squishy amps, but what seems to be working best here are amps with a very firm and immediate attack. I’m even tempted to try something like the FET preamp in place of an amp.

After the last two nights these jazz tones are still a WIP. I’m not really happy with them yet.

I love reading about your process. You go after and I’m presuming by your descriptions achieve cool tones. Meanwhile a Princeton or Deluxe with a small board could get you all those tones and not be a compromise, or maybe even be holy grail. Sticking to triads for the comping could help too. Single coils. Three versions of a D Clone is a luxury and I’m deep in to digital, and love the unlimited palette, but it’s a choice that doesn’t need to be rationalized, especially since going analog with what you’re describing here wouldn’t need to be a compromise at all.

Truthfully, I could probably do 90% of it with a Deluxe and a few favorite drive pedals.

But I also really enjoy the process of creating tones. I don’t even keep presets stored on my digital modelers, I rebuild new presets for every show. I also get bored with the same thing so I enjoy having the ability to change it up without having to buy new gear.

For example I don’t think I’ve ever used a Dumble model before for a gig, and I’m loving them right now for this show.

The OD-100 model with an SDD preamp in front is one of my favorite drive tones I’ve ever had. It’s sounding so good in the mix

I found my jazz tone last tonight!

I was thinking about the immediacy in the attack. The tube pre and FET pre were both great for this but with a solid body guitar they were a little too flat. I think they’d work better with a Hollowbody archtop.

I started thinking the 100watt Plexi’s have a firm immediate attack and the 1970 model is a bit darker and smoother. So I gave it a try and it sounded great! It has the immediacy I want with a very firm mid-forward attack and enough harmonic character to cut just a bit. It sat beautifully in the mix of the band!

So Plexi 100W 1970 with 6550 tubes, negative feedback up a touch.

Input trim 0.5
Treble gain 0
Normal gain 1
Bass 1
Mids 7
Treble 5.5

through a York m25 4x12 IR.

Lulz 😂

I use that 1970 plexi amp for this … ^^^

Never would have been so creative as you! Damn good work.

Man, that was the best sandwich I ever had. :chef

What was in it? :guiness
:idk

That happened to me years ago when I was a 19 year old student at the fine arts school of the University of Guadalajara.

I stumbled into a taco shop pretty inebriated and ordered something off the menu not knowing what it was.

As it turned out it was really tasty so I asked the waiter what was in it.

He said "Taco de perro".

I asked "What's that?"

He said "Woof! Woof!"

I was appalled when I realized what it was but it tasted great. Having been served three tacos but only having eaten one and a half the question was "Do I finish this knowing I'm eating dog meat"?

Well, I was pretty ripped and it tasted really good so...

That happened to me years ago when I was a 19 year old student at the fine arts school of the University of Guadalajara.

I stumbled into a taco shop pretty inebriated and ordered something off the menu not knowing what it was.

As it turned out it was really tasty so I asked the waiter what was in it.

He said "Taco de perro".

I asked "What's that?"

He said "Woof! Woof!"

I was appalled when I realized what it was but it tasted great. Having been served three tacos but only having eaten one and a half the question was "Do I finish this knowing I'm eating dog meat"?

Well, I was pretty ripped and it tasted really good so...

As a dog owner, I probably couldn't ever - if I knew. But you do you, I guess? I'm not a vegetarian or anything.

As long as it's not coming from one of those filthy AF meat market, poorly taken care of, sad doggos in the tiniest cages, that we see in pictures from the far east, I suppose meat is meat. That particular part, I'm an outspoken critic of, tbh.

As a dog owner, I probably couldn't ever - if I knew. But you do you, I guess? I'm not a vegetarian or anything.

As long as it's not coming from one of those filthy AF meat market, poorly taken care of, sad doggos in the tiniest cages, that we see in pictures from the far east, I suppose meat is meat. That particular part, I'm an outspoken critic of, tbh.

If I'd been sober it never would have happened but this was in 1969.

"If you can remember the sixties you weren't there." *

* This quote has been attributed to a number of people including Robin Williams, Pete Townshend and Timothy Leary.

Back