Thinking about my next head...

spawnofthesith

Shredder
I'm not sure when this will happen, could be 3 months could be 3 days, but I have been thinking about the route I should go for my next amp.

I'm narrowed down to a 5150III of some iteration, or a mesa rectifier of some iteration. I will be buying used.

When it comes to my band I primarily only -need- two main sounds: pretty cleans (where I'm at 75% of the time) and crushing brutal distortion (25% of the time). If the amp likes an SD-1 that is a plus.

I've wanted a 5153 for quite some time and obviously that would be the most affordable option (unless I went stealth). I don't feel particularly picky about 6l6vsel34vs stealth (though I've heard pretty rave reviews about it) as long as its one of the more recent models with the concentric pots.

When it come's to the mesa considerations, I'd probably most likely be trying to keep my eye out for a Roadster since they pop about around $1200-$1400 fairly regularly if even mildly patient. I really fell in love with the roadster many years ago and would love to have one. Other considerations would be a plain jane dual recto, or a tremoverb if I could find one for a decent price. A Badlander 50 would -almost- be a consideration, but even used they're definitely sitting a little higher than I want to spend on a 4th amp I don't really need to begin with lol. I still don't totally "get" the badlander either, from my understanding it's kind of a recto in name only? I know y'all are gonna have positive things to say about it though lol

My biggest concern if I went the recto route is the FX loop situation... FX loop is extremely important to me, not only for delay but also the fact that I am running an RC-500 looper in the fx loop chain and it is a pretty crucial part of our shows. I had a rectoverb 50 combo a while back that I liked but I know among a few of the frustrations I had with it, the FX loop was definitely one, and my board/needs have changed a lot since then even. I know there is supposed to be an easy to do mod to "fix" recto loops but my confidence level is low for that type of stuff

Other amps I currently own for overlap/complimenting considerations:
ENGL Thunder
1976 Deluxe Reverb
JVM210H

What does TGF think?

super happy with my kruse modded 5153 6L6 50w. dude is a magician and takes an already great amp and makes it darn near perfect. i got it used on tgp for like 850 which was a steal.

i'd love a dual recto though too, have always wanted one.

Have you considered running a wet/dry rig (assuming one of your current amps has the much needed FX loop) or do you need the new amp to handle all duties?

Have you considered running a wet/dry rig (assuming one of your current amps has the much needed FX loop) or do you need the new amp to handle all duties?

I'd be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind...

that said, I prefer to lean towards simplicity when playing out... and doing something like that sounds like a lot of stress and panic attacks waiting to happen. Not to mention dirty looks from sound guys :rofl

Katana Artist MKIl 100 …I’m not even kidding. There are patches available for just about all the amps you mentioned. Just have to get past who makes it and what kind of amp it is. In a live setting or mix I doubt most could tell the difference. I’m a tube guy through and through, have had some killer rigs but I am amazed with the Artist, completely different beast from the other Katanas.

Katana Artist MKIl 100 …I’m not even kidding. There are patches available for just about all the amps you mentioned. Just have to get past who makes it and what kind of amp it is. In a live setting or mix I doubt most could tell the difference. I’m a tube guy through and through, have had some killer rigs but I am amazed with the Artist, completely different beast from the other Katanas.

Ehh not what I'm going for

I certainly don't -need- any more amps even remotely, this is a strictly a desire/mental illness thing, and while I have nothing against a katana, it does not come close to stroking the "desire" thing lol

Mmmm, mental illness, I get that. :LOL:

Maybe out of left field but what about a Mesa Mark IV? 3 channels (sorta like stuffing your Fender, Marshall, and Engl in the same box), reverb, switchable EQ, FX loop, recording out, multiple power output options (simul-class, tweed, triode / pentode). Its the most well-engineered amp I've had the pleasure of trying out. :idk

Mmmm, mental illness, I get that. :LOL:

Maybe out of left field but what about a Mesa Mark IV? 3 channels (sorta like stuffing your Fender, Marshall, and Engl in the same box), reverb, switchable EQ, FX loop, recording out, multiple power output options (simul-class, tweed, triode / pentode). Its the most well-engineered amp I've had the pleasure of trying out. :idk

I’d totally be on board with a Mark IV, the III and V are two of my favorite amps I’ve owned in the last. Trouble is I haven’t seen any less than $1800 in a while, and when I do see them it’s usually a combo. Definitely more on the upper end of what I’d be interested on spending but I think it would be a worthy contender

fender prosonic sounds perfect to me, you get the fender cleans and the drive is rectoish and rips, it’s really about the only amp I still gas for

fender prosonic sounds perfect to me, you get the fender cleans and the drive is rectoish and rips, it’s really about the only amp I still gas for
I am constantly looking for one but never pulling that trigger.

I am constantly looking for one but never pulling that trigger.

i can’t really give a reason why I never jumped on one cause I’ve wanted one forever but I guess it happens. I don’t know where they went but there used to be a bunch of killer brutal sounding clips on YouTube, I think like my metal head the fender name probably scared the heavy guys off even though it rips

iu

Might consider an ENGL Fireball. I own the 100, and it has a deceptively good clean channel, and the lead channel gets nasty. (With some deliberate use of the gain knob it does pretty good mid gain tones too)

Just another option, but if you’re leaning 5153 I’d say scratch that itch, it’s a great amp too.

The Prosonics sound great. Actually liked it more than a lot of the Rectos back then other than a Tremo Verb. Only gripe there was clcik when changing channels if IIRC.

Back