EQ, Harmonizer, Compressor

What would be the "correct" order ?

:farley

Signal chain ordering..

Oprah Winfrey Network Lady Mae GIF by Greenleaf

Is this plugins/modeling or real pedals? Plugin you could use multiples of each in subtle (or extreme) ways.

Signal chain ordering..

what are you trying to do with each one?

Do you want to EQ the signal before it hits the harmonizer to avoid certain artefacts or to get a specific kind of response? or maybe you want to EQ the sound of the whole chain after the harmonizer to shape it into something?

Likewise, with the compressor - do you want to even the notes before the harmonizer, or do you want to compress the blend of both? do you want to change how the compressor reacts to different frequencies?

There is no correct way to use that stuff - I'd just add in whatever the sound is calling for. Presumably the Harmonizer is going to be the most drastic effect, so I'd start there. If you need to EQ or compress, work out what you are trying to achieve and then decide how you are going to do that.

what are you trying to do with each one?

Do you want to EQ the signal before it hits the harmonizer to avoid certain artefacts or to get a specific kind of response? or maybe you want to EQ the sound of the whole chain after the harmonizer to shape it into something?

Likewise, with the compressor - do you want to even the notes before the harmonizer, or do you want to compress the blend of both? do you want to change how the compressor reacts to different frequencies?

There is no correct way to use that stuff - I'd just add in whatever the sound is calling for. Presumably the Harmonizer is going to be the most drastic effect, so I'd start there. If you need to EQ or compress, work out what you are trying to achieve and then decide how you are going to do that.
I went back and watched Jim Gaustad's video on getting the tone on the VHII album, since the track I was working on was a cover off that record..

The signal chain he used worked great for me !

Back