The Musical Dreams & Ambitions Thread. What Are Yours?

Hope I didn't give the vibe that I am grading dreams here. I don't believe in that s**t (because adult life
can be so demanding and taxing that dreams can perish permanently.)

I truly believe that dreams are aspirations---and work their magic whether we ever arrive at any imagined
destination or not. Just having one is powerful. \

I like to see the flames (big or small, or smoldering) alive in others. It's not easy, which is why I believe
they are so vital to breathe a little air on whenever we have the chance.

I paid extra to have my dreams graded.

To be a ROCK GOD !! where people are in awe of everything you do, you can play air guitar and amazing sounds come out,
heaps of top model ladies hanging of my arms, every record label wanting to sign deals..
Maybe call my band "Wyld Stallyns" Excellent dude !!
... oh hang on, there's already been that movie...
oh well, I will keep schlepping away in my covers band, and plug away at the odd originals or two..

Last edited:
I've heard that there is more than one shape to play the Pentatonic scale on the fretboard, but I am scared of moving to these higher territories. An excess of ambition can be dangerous, putting you at risk of burnout, stubbornness, catastrophic failure, difficulty with personal relationships, depression, lack of personal hygiene, and even a shorter life :idk:wat

Last edited:
When I was in high school, my dream was to own my own recording studio. I wanted to produce and record bands and sometimes do session work (primarily as a drummer). I actually got books from the library about starting up a business, and I was writing up business plans to determine how much revenue I'd need to support the business. I also planned to teach drum lessons on the side to supplement income until the business would sustain itself. I used all my money from graduation to buy a digital recording workstation and microphones and started learning to record my own band.

After I graduated high school and started college, I shelved that idea and was hoping the original rock band I was in would have success. We had a few good opportunities and IMO had great songs and plenty of talent, but honestly we didn't fit in with the musical trends of the time (nu metal and rap rock). We were five years too late for the post-grunge alternative thing and five years too early for the resurgence of melodic hard rock.

Then when I graduated college, I started working full time and had bills to pay and responsibilities, and felt like I was too old to try and make an original rock band work (like trying to tour the region in a cheap van to play basements). So I started playing just for fun at home, and I got more into playing sports, and eventually got into coaching my kids sports teams.

Now I still play for fun at home and collect gear that I couldn't afford when I was younger. Every couple of years I start thinking about trying to find a band to play with, but haven't worked up to that point yet.

373991DA-962C-45E5-8F7B-62EC0EE2627B.jpeg

5BA3767C-F23D-4097-86C4-C9862EDB0354.jpeg

My 3rd studio (partnership); 1st commercial retail space. 1991-2?

Still in construction…

Live room was an impressive 1500 ft.²

We had a 28 piece jazz band record in there. That was a struggle.

View attachment 950
View attachment 951
My 3rd studio (partnership); 1st commercial retail space. 1991-2?

Still in construction…

Live room was an impressive 1500 ft.²

We had a 28 piece jazz band record in there. That was a struggle.

Man, I was going to ask you if that was late 80s/early 90s.

A band I was in recorded an EP in a studio that looked a lot like that (gearwise) and just seeing
your pic brought back a LOT of memories.

Thanks for posting! :beer

Man, I was going to ask you if that was late 80s/early 90s.

A band I was in recorded an EP in a studio that looked a lot like that (gearwise) and just seeing
your pic brought back a LOT of memories.

Thanks for posting! :beer
ADAT 8 track on vhs … lol

Several albums.

You even have these guys who advertise on local countries AM radio stations to make people famous, who come in and basically karaoke a person into a “demo”. Then “promote it”. . . Riiiiiiight. 👍

eminem dont touch GIF
GIF by Avril Lavigne
hip hop rap GIF by WE tv

I have four goals/ambitions right now:

1. Get into the local theaters doing the Broadway national tours

I'm really close on this one. I'm connected with a few of the guys there and I'm just waiting for the call. But it's a small tight group and there are a couple guys in line in front of me so it's tough. I did get a call to sub for one, but he ended up playing every show and didn't give me any so I didn't actually get to play.

2. Get my jazz chops up to where I can take combo gigs

My comping chops are decent enough, but I haven't worked enough on improv over complex progressions to feel like I'm quite to where I could play in a setting where I'm asked to solo a lot. Getting there though

3. Get back into a 'band'

It's been a while since I played anything but theater and I kinda miss it. I'd love to get back into doing gigs that are more pop music based. First choice would be a '90s country band or a funk/R&B/Soul band with a horn section.

4. Get more bass gigs

I've got decent bass chops and I really really love playing bass, but everyone knows me as a guitar player and wants to hire me for guitar. I want to make a push to network more as a bassist and try to pull in more of those gigs. The problem is most of my contacts are theater people and most theater bass parts require doubling on upright bass (which I don't have)

I have four goals/ambitions right now:

1. Get into the local theaters doing the Broadway national tours

I'm really close on this one. I'm connected with a few of the guys there and I'm just waiting for the call. But it's a small tight group and there are a couple guys in line in front of me so it's tough. I did get a call to sub for one, but he ended up playing every show and didn't give me any so I didn't actually get to play.
Are you in NYC? Good luck. Someone literally needs to drop dead to get in that circle. Make sure your reading is better than reading your native language and be ready to transpose on the spot when someone gets sick and they change the key for their understudy. Be ready for that call, dont blow it! It’s a great path. I do local stuff here with the schools. Did the Wedding Singer last year and am doing Shrek this year. I get the book a couple months in advance and boot camp it until its ready. Tech week feels like a month long, the rehearsals are 5 or 6 hours.

Are you in NYC? Good luck. Someone literally needs to drop dead to get in that circle. Make sure your reading is better than reading your native language and be ready to transpose on the spot when someone gets sick and they change the key for their understudy. Be ready for that call, dont blow it! It’s a great path. I do local stuff here with the schools. Did the Wedding Singer last year and am doing Shrek this year. I get the book a couple months in advance and boot camp it until its ready. Tech week feels like a month long, the rehearsals are 5 or 6 hours.

No, not NYC. I know some guys who did that scene and it's not for me. When the national tours come through they usually hire local musicians for a lot of the pit. There's a group around here who does all of that work along with the local equity productions and that's the group I'm working on getting into.

It's fun stuff, I've played The Wedding Singer a couple times and it's a blast

Tough stuff
That's why it's just a fantasy :grin

When I was in my twenties I started playing bass because there was 5 million guitar players and no bass players in my small town, and I just wanted to play. I actually enjoyed it, there's just something special when you're playing bass and you click with the drummer. I'm seriously thinking of switching back to bass, I even ordered some new strings for my 4001 and Jazz.

Last edited:
Back