The man on the silver mountain

Hot take from a millenial that is usually respulsed by anything 80s: vocal abilities aside, Ozzy just had a charm that made him a blast to watch. RJD, to me, always had a personality that seemed like he was trying a little too hard.

I love old Sabbath but that's about it.
I grew to love certain Dio (especially Mob Rules and Holy Diver), and a lot of Ozzy’s later work is kind of “meh” for me, personally.

But I still agree with you 100%. Ozzy is the real deal rock and roll lunatic, whereas Dio was “just” a frontman, albeit an exceptional one. With Ozzy you get genuine pathos (both on and off the stage); with Dio it’s just so much pageantry.

My introduction to this great man was first the Making Of Hear ‘N Aid documentary and on that same VHS tape was this show-

I remember laughing at first because his stage outfit made me think of the little goblin in that 80’s movie Cat’s Eye-

But once he started singing I wasn’t laughing much, just suckin’ it all up.

I was just thinking about this event/ recording a few days ago. (I’m reading Halford’s autobiography and he brings it up.) Wild seeing all these players I haven’t thought about in years. Carlos Cavazzo, for instance - I can remember a time when he’d pop up on MTV every 15 minutes or so, then he vanished from public consciousness for the most part.

EDIT: scrolling though this video now, and it may not be the same performance. There’s a “Making of Hear N Aid” where Carlos et al make appearances. In their 80’s mesh belly shirts etc LOL.

I was just thinking about this event/ recording a few days ago. (I’m reading Halford’s autobiography and he brings it up.) Wild seeing all these players I haven’t thought about in years. Carlos Cavazzo, for instance - I can remember a time when he’d pop up on MTV every 15 minutes or so, then he vanished from public consciousness for the most part.
Cavazo was in Ratt for a bit and they actually released a really good (if you're a Ratt fan) comeback album.

Cavazo was in Ratt for a bit and they actually released a really good (if you're a Ratt fan) comeback album.
Yeah, he was in Ratt when the video I’m referring to was made. They were huge at that time. (Round And Round? I always confuse them with Quiet Riot - same time frame.) I didn’t like them much then, but on the rare occasion they come on the radio now, I’m always blown away by the guitars.

Yeah, he was in Ratt when the video I’m referring to was made. They were huge at that time. (Round And Round? I always confuse them with Quiet Riot - same time frame.) I didn’t like them much then, but on the rare occasion they come on the radio now, I’m always blown away by the guitars.
He was in Quiet Riot when the Hear N Aid thing was going. Afaik; he didn't join Ratt till sometime in the late-ish 00s?

Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

EDIT: scrolling though this video now, and it may not be the same performance. There’s a “Making of Hear N Aid” where Carlos et al make appearances. In their 80’s mesh belly shirts etc LOL.

Yep, the Hear N Aid doc was on the same VHS as that Dio show I posted above. Here’s the Hear N Aid doc, which is just full of 80’s charm.

Back