The man on the silver mountain

That is the least Black Sabbath-sounding song I have ever heard from a band calling themselves Black Sabbath.

:sofa
This is literally the first time I'm hearing it. It's weird: I consider myself the biggest Sabbath fanatic in the world, but I've never heard half their catalog. o_O

Agreed, Dying for Love doesn't sound anything like Sabbath. I would have guessed Whitesnake. And I wouldn't have given it a second thought LOL.

But Sabbath stopped sounding like Sabbath as early as Technical Ecstasy. I love that album, but it sounds like Iommi woke up one day and said, "Right, lads, we're Styx - or possibly Foreigner - now."

fullsizeoutput_2ac6_ml.jpeg

TBH, Ozzy is not my favorite Sabbath vocalist :sofa
Despite his massive commercial success post-Sabbath, I actually think Ozzy is the most under-rated of all these vocalists. Everyone (including the members of Sabbath) played up Dio as the muso/ artiste, as if Ozzy had just been a ringleader of sorts, but nobody sang like Ozzy did on SBS and Sabatoge - nor since.

(I warned you I'm a Sabbath fanatic.)

Last edited:
My take as also a Sabbath fanatic.
Love Ozzy butā€¦
RJD even with a short time left on Earth could sing circles around Ozzy .
Just my humble opinion lol

I love them both, but at the end of the day it's an "apples and oranges" proposition. I don't know about anybody "singing circles" around anybody else. I would agree Dio was the more consistent, well-rounded singer, across decades, whereas Ozzy had his own thing, and a very short window (circa 1975) where he did his very best work. But, goddamn, that work is just sublime.

maxresdefault.jpg

Do not miss į›į›‰įš± or Headless Cross āœ
I'll... try? Every so often I bump into a recommendation - or even an interview where Iommi himself cites a favorite album - and I listen... and bounce right off after about a song and a half. Anything after Born Again sounds like some anonymous Whitesnake-alike band to me. :idk (I don't particularly like their recent work after Ozzy came back on board, either.)

But this album was an absolute blast. (Already nearly 25 years ago. o_O)

NTQtMjIxNy5qcGVn.jpeg

Can I finally poop in the punch bowl? RJD's voice is beyond reproach. But I'll take ANY classic metal singer and their catalog over Dio solo albums 100 times out of 10. Maiden, Priest, Qyeensryche, Helloween. I LOVE the Hear N Aid song and Hungry for Heaven but that is about it. Too plodding in all the wrong ways. Vivian Campbell was an awesome guitar player but listening to a Dio solo album is just no fun. He is much better in Sabbath where the music has the dynamics his voice thrives on, imo.

Can I finally poop in the punch bowl? RJD's voice is beyond reproach. But I'll take ANY classic metal singer and their catalog over Dio solo albums 100 times out of 10. Maiden, Priest, Qyeensryche, Helloween. I LOVE the Hear N Aid song and Hungry for Heaven but that is about it. Too plodding in all the wrong ways. Vivian Campbell was an awesome guitar player but listening to a Dio solo album is just no fun. He is much better in Sabbath where the music has the dynamics his voice thrives on, imo.

Slap Heresy GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

I liked Ozzy when I was younger, but now not so much. Been that way since I heard about how he ripped off Jake. Iā€™ve always liked RJD regardless of which band he is in. He made everyone he joined betterā€¦
Steve Austin Wwe GIF by A&E

Hot take from a millenial that is usually respulsed by anything 80s: vocal abilities aside, Ozzy just had a charm that made him a blast to watch. RJD, to me, always had a personality that seemed like he was trying a little too hard.

I love old Sabbath but that's about it.

The song is about the Bosnia-Croatia war, not Romeo and Juliet šŸ˜„

I think the award of least Black Sabbath-sounding song goes to "Changes":rofl

I struggle with Keyboard/Synth Sabbath. Just feels odd. Tony is a GREAT singer, though. :beer

Hot take from a millenial that is usually respulsed by anything 80s: vocal abilities aside, Ozzy just had a charm that made him a blast to watch. RJD, to me, always had a personality that seemed like he was trying a little too hard.

I love old Sabbath but that's about it.
Consider your millenialness fulled respulsed! :clint :rofl

I am never tired of listening all the different versions of "Heaven and Hell"

I can't say that I have a favorite, but in this one they are all on-fire

12:25: "Fuck off! I'm gonna burn in hell with you!":satan

Last edited:
Back