The Gear Forum Home Pizza Thread

tekbow

Roadie
Pushing my luck with another culinary enthusiast type thread.

Anyone else make their own pizza?

I enjoy it, started last year and am starting to get moderately good results. I make my own fermented dough, and use a Ooni Karu 12 multifuel oven, usually with coal to provide the main heat and then wood just before the pizza goes in to get that rolling flame.

Hardest part to learn (for me) was the knack of getting it on/off the peel. Now I only lose one in every 6 pizzas 🤣

FB_IMG_1663803846234.jpg

FB_IMG_1663803849386.jpg

20220730_190854.jpg
20220730_190919.jpg

Drooling here!

I make home pizza in a regular domestic electric oven on the highest setting. It's hard to get the bottom cooked enough but I posted a photo in the other more general (not really home pizza) thread:

I've had my eye on the Ooni for some time; I'd love to have a go with one of those.

Nice work!

Last edited:
My Buddy has an outdoor wood fired oven. He's ruined me. That 90 second Pizza he makes in
there is criminally good. I think my eyes are rolling into the back of my head right now just
thinking about it. :LOL:

I can't be over there bugging him 3 or 4 times a week, so I bought a Pizza Stone and some
Oven Bricks for my Gas Grill. I am getting pretty decent results with it. Way better than anything
I can do in the Conventional Oven.

There was another "Pizza" thread on here where someone mentioned a 3 day proof for the
Dough in the Fridge and I tried that last week. Definitely better than the 24 hours I was doing.
I am going to try and stick with it and plan ahead to get that 3 day proof. Really takes the
Dough to another level.

Also a fan of making my own Sauce. Anyone want to share their own? I have an open mind.

Drooling here!

I make home pizza in a regular domestic electric oven on the highest setting. It's hard to get the bottom cooked enough but I posted a photo in the other more general (not really home pizza) thread:

I've had my eye on the Ooni for some time; I'd love to have a go with one of those.

Nice work!

Those Pizza Stones really help a lot in that context. I have an handheld infrared thermometer so I can check the
temp on mine before I place the Pizza on it. I can't not use mine now that I started. Gets that bottom crust just
right. No more doughy centers. 😊

Last edited:
My Buddy has an outdoor wood fired oven. He's ruined me. That 90 second Pizza he makes in
there is criminally good. I think my eyes are rolling into the back of my head right now just
thinking about it. :LOL:

I can't be over there bugging him 3 or 4 times a week, so I bought a Pizza Stone and some
Oven Bricks for my Gas Grill. I am getting pretty decent results with it. Way better than anything
I can do in the Conventional Oven.

There was another "Pizza" thread on here where someone mentioned a 3 day proof for the
Dough in the Fridge and I tried that last week. Definitely better than the 24 hours I was doing.
I am going to try and stick with it and plan ahead to get that 3 day proof. Really takes the
Dough to another level.

Also a fan of making my own Sauce. Anyone want to share their own? I have an open mind.

Ah, damn, should have looked for another thread.. didn't think to. Apologies to whoever posted it.. maybe @DrewJD82 can merge?

I do the fridge proof because its actually really convenient, make dough within 3 days of needing it, leave dough until you need it, take put 4 hours ahead. Tastes great too.

Pizza in 90 secs is Witchcraft, and 30 of my 90 is taking it out and turning it. I'm going to get a turning peel.

Sauce wise, I roast garlic in our airfryer, and put passata with the garlic, basil, salt, sugar and some tomato puree in the blender. That's fairly basic but it works. If it's just me and my wife, I'll put a little smoked paprika and cayenne pepper in.

Those Pizza Stones really help a lot in that context. I have an handheld infrared thermometer so I can check the
temp on mine before I place the Pizza on it. I can't not use mine now that I started. Gets that bottom crust just
right. No more doughy centers. 😊
Can confirm, a stone for an oven really helps and an infrared thermometer is essential kit.

Drooling here!

Nice work!

I love my Ooni, but I'd recommend spending the extra and getting the Karu 16 over the 12. Room for 2x12" at a time (or one 16"), digital temp readout, glass fronted so you see what's going on etc.

And I really do recommend, in this style of oven, bbq charcoal (uniform briquettes) to get the main heat up, and then add some hardwood kindling just before you put in the pizza.

Wow, that oven is impressive! :eek:. The pizza too.

My wife is the one that does the pizza at home, we use a small electrical oven with a stone base.
is somenthing like the one below (not exactly that one), that can make 1 pizza at the time but take 4 minutes to cook one so is not a big deal.

1663843783232.png

Wow, that oven is impressive! :eek:. The pizza too.

My wife is the one that does the pizza at home, we use a small electrical oven with a stone base.
is somenthing like the one below (not exactly that one), that can make 1 pizza at the time but take 4 minutes to cook one so is not a big deal.

View attachment 794

Wow, don't get appliances like that in the UK AFAIK, that's really cool!

Then again, my wife is Indian and she has a bunch of cooking implements and pans etc she brought from there that you can't find here either.

Dude I’ve totally eyed those Ooni ovens for some time. Embarrassingly I’ve also looked at the one that has a gas attachment, at which point im just doing indoor oven cooking outside. lol

Those pizzas look great.

Dude I’ve totally eyed those Ooni ovens for some time. Embarrassingly I’ve also looked at the one that has a gas attachment, at which point im just doing indoor oven cooking outside. lol

Those pizzas look great.
The Karu (mine) 12 and 16 both have a separate gas adaptor to purchase, so it's not wasted if you dont get on with wood.

Back