The Gear Forum Home Pizza Thread

I think when I die my last words will be, "Pizza.... blah de blah... something or other... Pizza!" :LOL:
And if you go to heaven (not so sure about your prospects on that) you will eat perfect pizza for eternity! If you go to hell, you will be a topping on Satan's pies, then excreted through Satan's bunghole, only to repeat the process again for eternity!! Best wishes!!!

Experimenting with a longer Bulk Ferment. I was doing a 24 hour Bulk Ferment with great results,
then rolling into individual balls and proofing for another 24 hours in the fridge. I am at 4 days on
the Bulk Ferment. I'll roll balls tonight and then proof them for 24 hours and use tomorrow.

Experimenting with a longer Dick Ferment. I was doing a 24 hour Dick Ferment with great results,
then rolling my individual balls and fluffing for another 24 hours in the sack. I am at 4 days on
the Dick Ferment. I'll roll balls tonight and then fluff them for 24 hours and abuse tomorrow.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ F I F Y ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please don't be offended the laugh emoji reaction, but I could not help but read that post with my mind swirling in the gutter! Modified version above!!

Last edited:
Experimenting with a longer Dick Ferment. I was doing a 24 hour Dick Ferment with great results,
then rolling my individual balls and fluffing for another 24 hours in the sack. I am at 4 days on
the Dick Ferment. I'll roll balls tonight and then fluff them for 24 hours and abuse tomorrow.
How's that fermenting cumming along? :hmm:clint

I'll be finding out tonight. It was super tacky last night after 4 days of a bulk ferment. I may
have swore and dusted my hands with a tiny bit of flour. :LOL:

I did smaller balls for Neopalitan style pies with a thin crust. 250g or so. I'll be the only eating
so I should be able to down it all. :chef

I froze the 2 other balls for use later. :banana

I make all the pizza around these parts and my wife doesn't have a muffin top either:chef

1*r1O6uSrMe2XginBpIlHSAg.jpeg

I also made @Byrdman 's Sauce that he shared here. Thanks, Barry! :chef

I did make a couple of modifications. Dash of Fish Sauce, a little Crushed Red Pepper, and a couple
of Calabrian Chiles for a little heat. Also upped the Oregano a smidge. Look forward to seeing how
it is on the Pie tonight. Tasted excellent off the spoon. :beer

No swearing tonight. :beer

Just made it around Midnight here. That Bulk Ferment for a longer period definitely
brought more flavour and chew to the crust. I loved that it was chewy and yet light
and not dense. Nice crunch on the exterior.

Sauce was the big winner! Oh man! Not sure I would tweak anything----other than using
a little more next time. :chef

One other thing I noticed is the Bubbles on the Crust didn't appear in the size or quantity
they have with less of a ferment. I like those Bubbles---especially with a bit of char on them.
May go back down and try a 3 day Bulk Ferment next time. :idk

Went light and traditional on toppings so I could really discern what was happening with the
new attempts at the Crust and Sauce.

20240107_005841.jpg

No swearing tonight. :beer

Just made it around Midnight here. That Bulk Ferment for a longer period definitely
brought more flavour and chew to the crust. I loved that it was chewy and yet light
and not dense. Nice crunch on the exterior.

Sauce was the big winner! Oh man! Not sure I would tweak anything----other than using
a little more next time. :chef

One other thing I noticed is the Bubbles on the Crust didn't appear in the size or quantity
they have with less of a ferment. I like those Bubbles---especially with a bit of char on them.
May go back down and try a 3 day Bulk Ferment next time. :idk

Went light and traditional on toppings so I could really discern what was happening with the
new attempts at the Crust and Sauce.

View attachment 16948
Beautiful Pie!!

Those bubbles will happen if there isnt enough sauce and cheese in a spot or two. A spot or two is fine, when it's all over it isn't good sign.

That is one way you can tell if you buy a pizza from a shop and they shorted you on cheese and/or sauce, there will be bubbles all over it.

Ok, quick-decision-pizza-day today. No more ready dough in the fridge or freezer, so today it's gonna be a tad more yeast and just 2 hours at room temperature, 2-3 hours in the fridge (even if some people recommend to skip the fridge in case you don't have at least over night to keep it there) and another hours for the then made balls to "wake up". No pizza stone, either, too much energy waste for what will just be two pizzas.
Will try to remember to take photos.

Btw, I ended up going for a sacrilege on the last pizza. I used a rolling pin! And guess what? It turned out to be just great. Dough was still pretty fluffy but not just as blown up as to mess with the toppings (which happened to me the time before). I think if you use a rolling pin and then allow the dough to rest for 10 more minutes or so, it'll just "recover" nicely. And well, I remember one famous NYC pizza dude using one as too.

Back