The FM9 is amazing for effects-only use

Does the FM9 have amp channel switching for physical amps?

Only if the amp supports midi. Otherwise you're gonna need a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher, it looks like.

Helix Floor has that . . .
dance goes with any song GIF

Man, do I have a serious problem with Fractal, lol.

Only if the amp supports midi. Otherwise you're gonna need a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher, it looks like.

Yes, I use a Suhr Micro MIDI, works great and is way smaller than the Voodoo. But it does require power and needing something like that stops the FM9 from being all-in-one with an amp, which is crappy for sure, and sends a “we don’t really care about you... just use our damn amp modeling” message to amp users…. :grin

Helix Floor has that . . .
dance goes with any song GIF

Man, do I have a serious problem with Fractal, lol.

Yes the Helix does, which is cool and I love that they cater to amp users too, totally different vibe than Fractal, but it also hums like crazy with a lot of amps (as does the HXFX). It was unusable with my Electra Dyne until I snipped the ground on one end of the TRS cable, which was a pain and ultimately led to me just using the Suhr Micro Midi anyway.

Yes the Helix does, which is cool and I love that they cater to amp users too, totally different vibe than Fractal, but it also hums like crazy with a lot of amps (as does the HXFX). It was unusable with my Electra Dyne until I snipped the ground on one end of the TRS cable, which was a pain and ultimately led to me just using the Suhr Micro Midi anyway.
TBH, that's common ground loop type stuff. Not specific to Helix.

I'm thinking about getting another TRS cable and doing this. Just snipping an end you say?

The FM9 also sounds a bit better than the FM3 in 4CM as well. I think they put in better converters because it’s really top notch.
Never really noticed any real difference between using my FM3 like that vs Axe-Fx 3. It's all good to me!

As for the Helix amp switcher, it's a convenience but is not going to work for anything more complex than a simple channel switch. If you ask me, anything with more than one or two switchable functions should be MIDI controllable. There's no excuse for anything less.

Never really noticed any real difference between using my FM3 like that vs Axe-Fx 3. It's all good to me!
Same... I don't doubt that there is likely some valid technical reason the 9 may have better I/O for 4CM, but I am using the FM3 in 4CM with two different amps pretty regularly. I would suspect the difference would be lost on me; since like laxu, I've heard no issues and I have a 3 for direct comparison. I can definitely see digging the big DSP jump on the 9 but the current gen of FAS stuff just slays for FX use.

As mentioned Line 6 is killer too.

I don't want a rig that can't 4CM.

Back