The FM9 is amazing for effects-only use

TubeStack

Shredder
For anyone thinking about it: the FM9 is INSANELY GREAT for effects-only use with a tube amp, especially using the 4cm method.

- top-level effects in every category, including the drives (which I actually like better than Helix drives, counter to what often gets said in forums)
- modulations are great, too: Phase 90 and Uni-Vibe are the best I've ever heard from a multi-effects unit
- delays are fantastic, love the DM-2 and 2290 especially
- the wahs and pitch stuff are killer, as well as noise gate, tuner, and looper

That's mainly what I use it for ^^^ - plus a few other things like tremolo, octavia, and clean boost - all of which is only scratching the surface. And to have it all available with Fractal's remarkable level of control over the switches is just :chef :love.

Also, the buffers/converters are amazing, with zero tone suck. It actually sounds better than just plugging straight in to the amp, with the same low-noise circuit as the AXIII and FX8. The FM9 can be seen as a follow-up to the FX8 but with amp models added, in a way.

It seems to me like Fractal underplays/undersells the greatness of their effects, as there's an emphasis on the amp models and a general "you need to use the amp models, too" vibe in the forum and their manuals. But as a multi-effects unit the FM9 is truly extraordinary. VERY happy with mine for this purpose.

I made a pedalboardplanner mockup of what I would need to recreate even the simple things I'm using the FM9 for and it was about 17 pedals + a wah, amp channel switch, and one or two pedal switchers and didn't even fit on a giant PT Classic Pro. :grin Put it all in an order on Long & McQuade and it came to $4k+. :rofl

My 1st fractal axe2 was all about fx … in one box.

Went to the amps shortly thereafter.

Effect GIF by Aclam Guitars

Strongly agreed. When I had the Hot Rod Deluxe I was having a blast running stuff directly into the amp. If I could actually use this Deluxe Reverb in an apartment I’d be doing the same thing!

I wasn’t fond of the drives for a while until I started playing with the Tone page of them. Dropping the mids out of most of them is what made me really start digging them. There’s a lot of shaping that can go on there that I think gets ignored.

Strongly agreed. When I had the Hot Rod Deluxe I was having a blast running stuff directly into the amp. If I could actually use this Deluxe Reverb in an apartment I’d be doing the same thing!

I wasn’t fond of the drives for a while until I started playing with the Tone page of them. Dropping the mids out of most of them is what made me really start digging them. There’s a lot of shaping that can go on there that I think gets ignored.
Glad to read this, because, (unrelated), my drives on my Stomp XL (going into my HRD), have sounded a big congested in the midrange, so I dropped the mids a little, and enjoy it more now.

Yes, I do the same, ie, lowering the mids/upper-mids, sometimes.

Although, I would say if that’s needed it’s more because of the nature of the original pedal and the Fractal models are just being accurate, rather than anything to do with Fractal drives themselves.

I do love having that extra EQ control of the drives, for sure.

Last edited:
On the subject of FAS drives: Y'all know I only play pushed cleans to crunch, so you gainier guys might not be interested...

But that new Hot Cake drive into the Bandmaster with just a touch of Gain Enhancer is really nice.

That's been my jam over the last few days with the YA Bassman 4x10 IRs. :love

I had a real Hot Cake once, which I didn't really like much with my Vox AC10, so I sold it years ago. Discovering that I liked the FAS version was quite a surprise, for sure! Probably says more about the AC10 than the Hot Cake.

Yes, I do the same, ie, lowering the mids/upper-mids, sometimes.

Although, I would say if that’s needed it’s more because of the nature of the original pedal and the Fractal models are just being accurate, rather than anything to do with Fractal drives themselves.

I do love having that extra EQ control of the drives, for sure.

Mids follow me around everywhere but I won’t speculate on why I think that is because it’ll derail the thread with our most common forum arguement. :rofl I’d be willing to bet I’d run into the same situation with the drives (or amps) on any modeler. That’s why the Mesa 5-band gets in 98% of my presets….and why I can rarely get something scooped enough.

Mids follow me around everywhere but I won’t speculate on why I think that is because it’ll derail the thread with our most common forum arguement. :rofl I’d be willing to bet I’d run into the same situation with the drives (or amps) on any modeler. That’s why the Mesa 5-band gets in 98% of my presets….and why I can rarely get something scooped enough.
Hands GIF

Copied and pasted from a DM with an esteemed member here:

Me: "My fingers always seem to have a few db's of that 750-900hz extra "mud", no matter what I'm using, modeling, analog, whatever. I hate it. :mad:"

1988 James Hetfield called and wants his "tone" back. :crazy

Back