The dreaded PRS thread - love (and hate)

Wow, I think you just explained why I immediately fell out of love with my SE when I put my Gilmour Strat together, that’s exactly it. They’re great guitars and PRS has put out some of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen, I want to love them more than I do and I’ll never turn down the chance to play one. Mine felt amazing the second I picked it up, it was the only guitar I ever played off the shelf that felt great right away and I knew I was buying it within 15 seconds.

I’m actually shipping this off to my best friend next week to see if he bonds with it, it’ll be the first guitar I’ve sold in over 20 years.
View attachment 609

Edit- before I told my father I bought this I sent him a pic, expecting him to get excited about the top on it, instead I get a message saying “Would have been great if they didn’t f*ck up that bookmatc. Don’t buy it, you’ll never be able to re-sell it, that top is trash.” :rofl
I'd sorta agree. Lol! I was so proud of my LP Silverburst, but when I showed it to my father, the first thing he pointed out was the glue lines on the top. I didn't even see them, but he was right.

Maybe I should get some wall hangers… Lol

I couldn't help but go for the low-hanging fruit. So cliched, isn't it? :LOL:

I have 3 PRS guitars right now and have had a few others. I still kind of
feel sometimes like they are the equivalent of a McMansion versus a home
with a lot of depth, detail, and history. But that is my hang up, no one
else's. 😼

They are GREAT guitars. Period.

Wow, I think you just explained why I immediately fell out of love with my SE when I put my Gilmour Strat together, that’s exactly it. They’re great guitars and PRS has put out some of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen, I want to love them more than I do and I’ll never turn down the chance to play one. Mine felt amazing the second I picked it up, it was the only guitar I ever played off the shelf that felt great right away and I knew I was buying it within 15 seconds.

I’m actually shipping this off to my best friend next week to see if he bonds with it, it’ll be the first guitar I’ve sold in over 20 years.
View attachment 609

Edit- before I told my father I bought this I sent him a pic, expecting him to get excited about the top on it, instead I get a message saying “Would have been great if they didn’t f*ck up that bookmatc. Don’t buy it, you’ll never be able to re-sell it, that top is trash.” :rofl

Wow! Thanks for the support, Dad. ;)

First time I saw a PRS was around 96 or 97. My guitar teacher taught Simon McBride who had got him an Artist discount/some form of special price, so he had a beautiful Amber 10 top CU24.

He also had a catalogue that was a series of cards in a slip pocket rather than a booklet which he gave to me. In that booklet was a guitar In Teal Black which captivated me for many years.

And in 2008 I found a Teal Black, 10 top McCarty Trem from the Wilcutts dealer run of them in either 03 or 06 (can never remember which)

Scratched my PRS itch 👍

IMG_20220908_095159_(1380_x_3000_pixel).jpg

What… is the necks generally on the thin side for this brand?

I always have been curious and almost got an CE a few years ago but decided to stick with trusty old tele.

I've always been a fan of OG/Super Strats, PRS was never on my radar until I played this S2. I had to have it. The fretboard isn't as wide as most Strats but the neck is satin, chunky and feels nice to hold for long periods of time. It isn't a crazy looker like a lot of PRS guitars which I had never really seen much of up until then.
PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin in Vintage Cherry

20220905_195742.jpg

Other PRS' while look gorgeous and cost upwards of double what I paid for mine just don't feel good in my hands..need that arm bevel, non-glossy thick neck.

I've always been a fan of OG/Super Strats, PRS was never on my radar until I played this S2. I had to have it. The fretboard isn't as wide as most Strats but the neck is satin, chunky and feels nice to hold for long periods of time. It isn't a crazy looker like a lot of PRS guitars which I had never really seen much of up until then.
PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin in Vintage Cherry

View attachment 633
Other PRS' while look gorgeous and cost upwards of double what I paid for mine just don't feel good in my hands..need that arm bevel, non-glossy thick neck.
No birdys on the S2 models? Awesome looking guitar anyway.

I used to be a huge PRS fan. I've had 4; kept 2. But from the generally (on the ones I've had) poor switching ergonomics, to that F$^&ing ridge along the top of the body that cuts into my arm, to the lack of upper-fret access compared to other guitars, they're no longer for me.

Sure, they make the most gorgeous guitars, and I still love to monitor-shop, but aside from becoming very wealthy and buying a PS to hang on the wall, I probably won't get another.
In short, PRS guitars are beautiful and in the beginning days of the company they were very different from other market offerings. They built the brand around that. In my opinion they just feel to me like guitars not designed for guitar players. From the necks to some of the head scratching features. This is why I love Knaggs. Joe ran PRS private stock and went off and started his own company. You get that perfect PRS quality but the guitars are actually playable and comfortable.

In short, PRS guitars are beautiful and in the beginning days of the company they were very different from other market offerings. They built the brand around that. In my opinion they just feel to me like guitars not designed for guitar players. From the necks to some of the head scratching features. This is why I love Knaggs. Joe ran PRS private stock and went off and started his own company. You get that perfect PRS quality but the guitars are actually playable and comfortable.
Isn’t PRS the only brand that moves the scale relative to the body in some weird way when creating a 22 vs 24 fret guitar? It’s something I think I read somewhere… not certain though.

Well....

Knaggs predated private stock. Knaggs is the one who helped turn the base PRS shape from a gibson/hamer DC style carve top into the shape you're referring too.

Isn’t PRS the only brand that moves the scale relative to the body in some weird way when creating a 22 vs 24 fret guitar? It’s something I think I read somewhere… not certain though.
That's true, they move the bridge further toward the neck relative to 22 fret model.

Perhaps other companies do that too

Surprisingly I’ve never played one. What are some of the things that affect playability or make you say they weren’t designed for players?

Surprisingly I’ve never played one. What are some of the things that affect playability or make you say they weren’t designed for players?
It's interesting, because I Find mine perfectly comfortable, more so than my Axis with squared edge radius.

I'm also unsure what issue there is with the necks

Back