The dreaded PRS thread - love (and hate)

fretworn

Rock Star
In the early 80s somewhere in northern Colorado I saw a jazz band (Dotsero?) with the guitarist playing a PRS. Local college town, semi cowboy bar… Fell in love with that PRS.

Finally got one in 2015. P24 Artist.

FF136DC8-0A77-430C-9A61-AE1C081A3646.jpeg

B7DB818E-9AA8-43CF-B0D1-672961296F2D.jpeg

241C1F6C-EC50-42BC-A2D1-96D7F1FB57B2.jpeg

390F87EE-3957-4976-8EF7-4CD4EAB83600.jpeg
8AED97C7-A8D1-4675-BD6D-13223C71C67C.jpeg

E024BD2A-6267-46BE-A7AF-36958A9EB085.jpeg

88FD2A2F-8ADE-4954-B5E4-4ABE0BE96E12.jpeg

Last edited:
I also have a very interesting history with LR Baggs (piezo pups) … Which of course sits in the saddle from the factory.

Looks great!

I have two PRS currently, and really like them. I have a CE-24, one of the newer ones, and it's killer. Also have an S2 Standard 24 which is an awesome guitar for the money, like a cross between an SG and a Strat.

I'd love to try a Silvery Sky at some point, and have always had a high end core model as a dream guitar.

Funny evolution… I loved long soft silky actions on the fingerboard, but now in the past six years I’ve kind of swapped over to the Strat (from the other thread) because it rewards heavy-handed playing. Where is the PRS hates that shit. Sometimes you gotta dig in…

Funny evolution… I loved long soft silky actions on the fingerboard, but now in the past six years I’ve kind of swapped over to the Strat (from the other thread) because it rewards heavy-handed playing. Where is the PRS hates that s**t. Sometimes you gotta dig in…

Wow, I think you just explained why I immediately fell out of love with my SE when I put my Gilmour Strat together, that’s exactly it. They’re great guitars and PRS has put out some of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen, I want to love them more than I do and I’ll never turn down the chance to play one. Mine felt amazing the second I picked it up, it was the only guitar I ever played off the shelf that felt great right away and I knew I was buying it within 15 seconds.

I’m actually shipping this off to my best friend next week to see if he bonds with it, it’ll be the first guitar I’ve sold in over 20 years.
6017E4A7-2EF1-4BCA-A931-E8F05B06473F.jpeg

Edit- before I told my father I bought this I sent him a pic, expecting him to get excited about the top on it, instead I get a message saying “Would have been great if they didn’t f*ck up that bookmatc. Don’t buy it, you’ll never be able to re-sell it, that top is trash.” :rofl

Love all the PRS' up in here. I have never owned one for no particular reason. @DrewJD82 ; that guitar reminds me of the Zach Meyers model (single cut but with the f hole). I really dug that guitar the number of times I've played it.

I played a ZM the same day I got this but I was not getting along with the neck on the ZM because it was too thick…..which is funny after the baseball bat I purchased last weekend and now love. The piezos are a nice addition as well and if mine had them, I might not be so inclined to move it. I might give the ZM another try at some point now that I like fat necks, but I think a Tele is on the top of my list right now.

I played a ZM the same day I got this but I was not getting along with the neck on the ZM because it was too thick…..which is funny after the baseball bat I purchased last weekend and now love. The piezos are a nice addition as well and if mine had them, I might not be so inclined to move it. I might give the ZM another try at some point now that I like fat necks, but I think a Tele is on the top of my list right now.
Ah yeah! I remember that! That strat neck, tho :oops:

Ah yeah! I remember that! That strat neck, tho :oops:

When my buddy was over last night it was the first time he played it, first thing he says is “This is just like my Eclipse, this isn’t big.”, I was like, “Dude, you’ve been drinking for 5 hours, this is NOT like your Eclipse.” :rofl Once he sat with it for a minute it seemed to clear up his issue of “put my hand down and let it flounder around like a fish out of water hoping I hit a note” he’s got going on. I think restricting his movement a bit helped.

When my buddy was over last night it was the first time he played it, first thing he says is “This is just like my Eclipse, this isn’t big.”, I was like, “Dude, you’ve been drinking for 5 hours, this is NOT like your Eclipse.” :rofl Once he sat with it for a minute it seemed to clear up his issue of “put my hand down and let it flounder around like a fish out of water hoping I hit a note” he’s got going on. I think restricting his movement a bit helped.
Yeah that's not a shredder Les Paul neck by any stretch!

I used to be a huge PRS fan. I've had 4; kept 2. But from the generally (on the ones I've had) poor switching ergonomics, to that F$^&ing ridge along the top of the body that cuts into my arm, to the lack of upper-fret access compared to other guitars, they're no longer for me.

Sure, they make the most gorgeous guitars, and I still love to monitor-shop, but aside from becoming very wealthy and buying a PS to hang on the wall, I probably won't get another.

Back