The DID YOU KNOW? thread

I have had my own laying hens for about 12 years now! Love them and their production (currently getting ~6/day from our 7 hens)!! Another thing about fresh eggs is, hard boiled eggs are more difficult to peel when they are very fresh. Best to let them chill for 20-30 days before doing the hard boiled thing (unless you have mastered one of those peeling methods that would not be affected by the thicker more fragmented shells). The best method I have found for getting hard boiled eggs to peel more easily is, boil them till pretty much done, then put them in a ice/water bath for 30 seconds, then put them back into the boiling water for a minute or two then let cool at room temp. YMMV!
I've found that if you cook them in a digital pressure cooker (InstaPot®) for 4 minutes, they peel very easily.

:cool:

Now I’m intrigued. Would you mind sharing the details like how much water, settings, etc.?
You only need about a cup of water in there, because it uses steam and pressure to cook the eggs.

Because the eggs are under pressure, when you remove them from the InstaPot and place them in a bowl of ice water, then peel.. the shells have totally separated from the egg.

Did you know the human head weighs eight poundths?
tom cruise cutest kid award GIF

Back