The Correct Way To Play The Verse In "Walk This Way" By Aerosmith

Finally got it up to speed and more importantly, got the funk down. A few more sessions and it should be automatic and easy on full-length parts.

The trick is the "pause/hitch" after the 4th note; this is what gives the riff the funk.

Normally it would be easy, but since we're doing 16th notes, it's difficult to put a quick pause in there. Hell, it's difficult to hear it.

Sometimes just gotta keep on hammering away until you get the feel.

Anyhoo, here's a rough sketch mix up past the first solo. 2 guitar tracks with different gear. Using original ISO drums and bass:

This is really confusing. Maybe I've been too tired, but even today, after a night of sleep, I can still hear it *both* ways in the full tune, even if I'm now fully aware that the high C is always on beat "3 e". I can even play along either way and both ways feel correct. So weird, really.

You’re thinkin’ too hard, it’s rock n’ roll, man.

Speaking of rock 'n' roll - the fingering is as easy as it gets: Chuck Berry style (think rhythm guitar parts in "Johnny B. Goode")... fingering is C power chord at 8th fret E string:

4 10 (ring)
5 10 (ring)
6 8 (index)

Then just use your pinky for the 12-13 fret stuff... you know, like Chuck Berry. :cool:

Back