The age old GAS question

metropolis_4

Shredder
New Guitar VS New Amp

I was all set to go amp shopping and then this showed up on my radar:

87C98043-E0C0-44D3-B4FF-EF754F505577.jpeg

Basically the guitar of my dreams… now I’m starting to think maybe I could just get by with my HX Stomp XL

Thats fine as hell. What amp were you planning on shopping for?

Something in the single channel cathode biased camp. I was looking at a Matchless Lightning, Dr Z Carmen Ghia, and a Top Hat Club Royale.

Wow that’s awesome. Year? Specs?

It's a Custom Shop '57 relic with a quarter sawn '59 large C neck and 10" radius.

'50s style two tone sunburst Strats and I have a lot of history together. When I was 4 years old I asked to go to a Buddy Holly concert for my birthday because I was obsessed with him. I'm about to spend the next 4 months playing a Buddy Holly show and this would be the perfect guitar for the run.

Something in the single channel cathode biased camp. I was looking at a Matchless Lightning, Dr Z Carmen Ghia, and a Top Hat Club Royale.

It's a Custom Shop '57 relic with a quarter sawn '59 large C neck and 10" radius.

'50s style two tone sunburst Strats and I have a lot of history together. When I was 4 years old I asked to go to a Buddy Holly concert for my birthday because I was obsessed with him. I'm about to spend the next 4 months playing a Buddy Holly show and this would be the perfect guitar for the run.
Wow - very cool. Love that it has a 10” radius. Looks amazing. Very cool about Buddy Holly and your show… Fun!

The only problem is if I get this guitar it'll blow all my gear budget for the show (and then some) which means I'll have to play the run with an HX Stomp

True that this particular guitar is much more unique and hard to find than any of the amps I'm looking at.

The amps I'm looking at aren't anything special or unique, are widely available, and will continue to be widely available in the future. This guitar is essentially one of a kind in a way.

True that this particular guitar is much more unique and hard to find than any of the amps I'm looking at.

The amps I'm looking at aren't anything special or unique, are widely available, and will continue to be widely available in the future. This guitar is essentially one of a kind in a way.

This is exactly why I was going to suggest going with the guitar (aside from the fact that I LOVE 2T Sunburst Strats and we can be twinsies if you get it). Unless it’s some one-off Jose/Bogner-modded Marshall or other rare amp, I’d go with the guitar.

That looks like it might have bigger frets than vintage ones, too! I hope to see NGD pics soon!!!!!

New amps do more for your sounds. I would buy the guitar though since I don’t use amps anymore!

Last edited:
Strat’s volume knobs don’t sit well with my anchor pinky. I can’t go for that. Though I love them.

Always the guitar. You can never have enough guitars that inspire you to play and look awesome on stage. Never.

Amps? Meh…. Get one or two that do the job(s) and focus on other stuff IMO. I’ve gotten happy enough with modelers that I don’t care that much about chasing amps any more. Any one that can get the sound and feel I want at the right volume for the job is fine, and generally there are many available that can do that job fine. I’m gonna dial any one of them in to sound how I want, so as long as it can get there it’s gonna be the same thing pretty much regardless of which one I chose for that night. Most gigs I just use the Helix for everything anyways now. It has been a while since I really needed an amp onstage. Nearly everything I do is on in-ear monitors now. Amps are still cool for feedback and feel though.

Guitars are where the magic is at IMO.

D

Back