TGF Do Something Challenge Week 7!!

Got a smoking deal on a neckthru, MIK BC Rich Warlock the other day and couldn't pass it up. Figured I'll likely just resell it, because it was so cheap. It has EMGs in it (81/85 I believe). Other people always seem to make EMGs sound killer. Me? I make em sound like a muddy, MEH mess...

I had this really cool idea for a thrash song in my head and the guitar tone just sucked my will to live, so it ended up sounding nothing like what I started out to do. Oh well, lose some, lose some more. :rofl :rawk:rofl

Focused on levels, figured out the routing so I could pan correctly, tried a different approach to doing final levels. Some of the blending in parts left a bit to be desired, but I'm sorta at the limits of my recording/mixing capabilities. SoundCloud as usual finds a way to knock the edge off the final mix too. Oh well.

Just got a chance to listen. Another solid tune and great sounding guitars, both clean and rhythm dist; nice and wide image but still tight playing.

Curious what you want to improve? Sounds pretty good. (I have feedback if you wish, but it's not really mix related.)

Love the journey on mixing and getting a great production. (I'm not even close yet. Miles behind you walking the trail.)

Just got a chance to listen. Another solid tune and great sounding guitars, both clean and rhythm dist; nice and wide image but still tight playing.

Curious what you want to improve? Sounds pretty good. (I have feedback if you wish, but it's not really mix related.)

Love the journey on mixing and getting a great production. (I'm not even close yet. Miles behind you walking the trail.)

Thanks man.

I’m reasonably happy with this weeks mix, for the first time. I think my mistake of not knowing to set the track input to mono, hence not being able to pan my distorted guitars made a big difference, as I was reasonably happy with the distorted parts this week. Drums and bass though leave a little to be desired, but I think the drums are because I’m mixing and leveling the kit entirely and not mixing them individually kick, snare, toms, cymbals etc. I’m going to try that moving forward. Bass, I think that’s just because I’m a guitar player and just approaching it like a guitar player and not a bass player. I’m hopeful my bass approach will improve the more I do this. (And, I think I need to find a better plug-in for bass, I don’t love the stock Logic bass amp, but tbh I haven’t fiddled with it much beyond it’s default tone)

Not extremely happy with this. My plan was to make a funny video but my phone no longer wants to transfer files to my computer so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Picture it: Evil Alex on the left with an 8 string, and Asshole Alex on the right with a 6 string, trading lead/rhythm duties in a face-off, making idiot faces at each other.

Not extremely happy with this. My plan was to make a funny video but my phone no longer wants to transfer files to my computer so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Picture it: Evil Alex on the left with an 8 string, and a*****e Alex on the right with a 6 string, trading lead/rhythm duties in a face-off, making idiot faces at each other.

This is the right hand I wish I had. Well done.

Searching for the G-Spot of the DYNA-CAB

Too much time tweaking. But now that I have a tone that I enjoy, I shall practice more 😅

Oh c'mon!! Keep going. For my ears, that was the most melodic I've heard here yet. You also have nice unique thing going on with your playing. I like it!

Oh, and those harmonics within the notes... :chef

Not much energy/free time this week

Using my alt SC because my Dr. Awk one is pretty full

That was really cool. Love songs like that placed strategically in an album line up to create a sort of change up from the "normal" songs.

Picture it: Evil Alex on the left with an 8 string, and a*****e Alex on the right with a 6 string, trading lead/rhythm duties in a face-off, making idiot faces at each other.

Man, you are crazy imaginative, crazy talented and crazy skilled. I'm just crazy - so, excuse me while I try and catch up!
Searching for the G-Spot of the DYNA-CAB

Too much time tweaking. But now that I have a tone that I enjoy, I shall practice more 😅

Man, that tone is glorious. And the playing matches - could easily listen to an album's worth of this. Good job!

Back