Technical question: How is this possible?

Well yeah, you patch the fx loop with a short cable and plug the guitar normally into the input and play.
If there's no sound, the loop is dead.

@James Freeman I thought that the problem was that Bob couldn't use the Blackstar as a power amp for his modeller by plugging the Helix into the FX loop (silence).

I assumed that the input jack on the front of the amp was empty when Bob was doing that? Perhaps I've misread the issue :confused:

Well i tried both jellodog and James suggestions. dummy plug the input and things changed but it's just hiss that changes volume with the master volume. No actual signal. Tried also dummy plugging the send along with this and no change still just hiss. Plugging straight to the return with guitar does nothing no matter what is dummy plugged or footswitch in/out. Bizarre

So does your guitar into the input with a jumper cable from send to return work?

Luckily it's within the 30 day return period but man I'd prefer to keep it. I love this amp by itself but if I cant even do 4cm it's next to useless for me.

YOU MANIAC!!!!!
c13cec9d-bc55-4b8d-8f9d-e39d82ba3552_text.gif

FYI: The st James needs a cable in the main input for the return to work. It doesn’t need one in the send.

How do you like the St. James so far? I've barely been able to play through mine.

In the couple of weeks I had to check it out, at bedroom volumes, I was able to dial it in so that the few quibbles I had with it were a non-issue except my personal dislike of the onboard reverb which is easily addressed by my FM9.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to break it out again but any tips are appreciated.

How do you like the St. James so far? I've barely been able to play through mine.

In the couple of weeks I had to check it out, at bedroom volumes, I was able to dial it in so that the few quibbles I had with it were a non-issue except my personal dislike of the onboard reverb which is easily addressed by my FM9.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to break it out again but any tips are appreciated.
Same here. Gigs are slow…and 95% of them are in the same club where I use the house amp.
At home I got a “mancave set”…so dont use it much. (That’s simply a convinience thing, permanent setup & gig setup) (= overkill with current gig calander)

I did do a small experiment routing a Mesa express combo to the st James speaker, and vice versa.
Differences between those clean sounds are to a large degree caused by the cab/speaker.

Back