Talk me in or out a PRS or anything else?

GuitarAddicted

Groupie
Hi guys,

what should I say, I’m actually in a „weird“
Situation.
This is the first time in the last 25 years that I don’t have a guitar. I’m feeling disappointed right now.
I have to admit, I’m a Strat and Fender Fanboy but in the last few months I had some bad experiences.

First I don’t want to blame any company, I think most of the issues are caused by the dealers.
I bought three Fender Ultra Luxe from three different dealers, all of them had issues.
I had a Custom Shop Strat bought it used) that I sold because I couldn’t stand the heavy relic finish.
Now I bought the Candy Apple Strat which had absolutely perfect specs.
But the guitar and the case and the case candy had some issues as well.

So now I’m thinking which guitar should I try?
PRS
Knaggs
etc.

I love HSS Strats and HSS or HH Strat like guitars.
But I don’t need any fancy tops or wood.
And I like PAF or low output pickups.
I had a Music Man LIII for sometime, it was a great guitar with great playability but the thick poly finish and stress cracks in the neck pocket were a letdown.

Of course I will visit a store but with a 7 - 5 job, no days off, it’s a challenge. But yeah I know that this is absolutely necessary.

Thank you so much!

You need the schedule a day off and go to some shops. Buy what speaks to you.
Yeah this is what I consider to do but it can be some month until I can get a day off and the two shops nearby doesn’t have all guitars that I would try, so it’s actually really difficult.

Yeah this is what I consider to do but it can be some month until I can get a day off and the two shops nearby doesn’t have all guitars that I would try, so it’s actually really difficult.
But your experience with mail delivery is pretty much the lottery. You need to go and play stuff.

This is the first time in the last 25 years that I don’t have a guitar
Maybe you could get something that would have a lot less expectations that come along with it... so nothing like a custom shop or 'boutique' brand. Playing guitar is more important imo than having the perfect guitar. The 'perfect' guitar might be amazing today and feel mediocre 6 weeks from now -- it's how our minds work, lol.
But I do agree with @Eagle , make some time to hand pick if that's what it takes to get the right one.

If you want a good HSS Strat style guitar, I would recommend looking at Suhr. I have a Classic Pro that is probably the best Strat guitar I have ever owned. It has stainless steel frets and plays great. It sounds as good as it plays. I also have a custom built Suhr Standard that has HSS configuration that I play all the time. It is pretty much my #1 player.

I would also recommend looking at a PRS Studio. They are made similar to an HSS guitar but all of the pickups are humbuckers. I have been quite surprised and happy with the one I bought last fall.

It's unusual that you're looking for a player (per your being down to 0 guitars, which by the way is terrifying) and looking exclusively at such high end instruments. If you're buying into a collectible class of instrument where "issues with case candy" become a concern, and also playing that instrument on a regular basis... I mean, I've become a bit of a bottom-feeder, so opposite extremes, but I know that would mess with my head.

Get a solid player and then start worrying about the collection, or "the one", or whatever.

If you don’t want to pay a premium for a PRS, but want core quality, get a used solid color top.

I’d try to find and older Standard 24, which you can find a good deal on if you search a while.

I own 4 Core PRS guitars including the one I traded for a few months back.

I traded for this ‘94 Standard 24 Goldtop that came upgraded with a set of PRS 57/08’s.

I own a stock ‘95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top and the Goldtop sounds WAY better.

Here’s a pic of my Goldtop

IMG_3308.jpeg

It's unusual that you're looking for a player (per your being down to 0 guitars, which by the way is terrifying) and looking exclusively at such high end instruments. If you're buying into a collectible class of instrument where "issues with case candy" become a concern, and also playing that instrument on a regular basis... I mean, I've become a bit of a bottom-feeder, so opposite extremes, but I know that would mess with my head.

Get a solid player and then start worrying about the collection, or "the one", or whatever.
I‘m not concerned about case candy and I never bought guitars as a collector. I abused and played may guitars, I was a professional musician.
But if buy a custom shop guitar you can expect that it’s top notch, I doesn’t matter if you play the shit out of it afterwards.

But yeah you are right, maybe I‘m just buying a used Strat and mod it.

If you don’t want to pay a premium for a PRS, but want core quality, get a used solid color top.

I’d try to find and older Standard 24, which you can find a good deal on if you search a while.

I own 4 Core PRS guitars including the one I traded for a few months back.

I traded for this ‘94 Standard 24 Goldtop that came upgraded with a set of PRS 57/08’s.

I own a stock ‘95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top and the Goldtop sounds WAY better.

Here’s a pic of my Goldtop

View attachment 22967
This is just beautiful!
I love solid tops. I could buy a masterbuilt or a private stock PRS but I‘m very simple, I just need a player, a workhorse.

This is just beautiful!
I love solid tops. I could buy a masterbuilt or a private stock PRS but I‘m very simple, I just need a player, a workhorse.
I basically got this guitar for $762 dollars.

I traded an ‘08 Gibson LP Standard I found at a pawnshop for the very cheap price

He wanted the LP because it was chambered and weighed 7 1/2 lbs.

We both got what we wanted out of the trade.

You might be able to score an older Core player in a trade.

You just have to be patient and keep looking every day until you find the right deal.

I basically got this guitar for $762 dollars.

I traded an ‘08 Gibson LP Standard I found at a pawnshop for the very cheap price

He wanted the LP because it was chambered and weighed 7 1/2 lbs.

We both got what we wanted out of the trade.

You might be able to score an older Core player in a trade.

You just have to be patient and keep looking every day until you find the right deal.
I am surprised you found someone that wanted a chambered Les Paul. I sold one about 5 years ago and it took a while to sell because it was chambered. For some reason that turned a lot of people off. I like the sound of the guitar and the way the notes bloomed from it. It had a sound I wanted one of my other Les Pauls to have and that is the reason I bought it. The only reason I sold it was because I had to thin some guitars out and it wasn't in my regular playing rotation. It is one that I have often thought that I wish I had kept. It had a great top on it that was in between a flame and a quilt.

I am surprised you found someone that wanted a chambered Les Paul. I sold one about 5 years ago and it took a while to sell because it was chambered. For some reason that turned a lot of people off. I like the sound of the guitar and the way the notes bloomed from it. It had a sound I wanted one of my other Les Pauls to have and that is the reason I bought it. The only reason I sold it was because I had to thin some guitars out and it wasn't in my regular playing rotation. It is one that I have often thought that I wish I had kept. It had a great top on it that was in between a flame and a quilt.
I know what you’re saying.

I liked the neck and the top and it did sound good, but it wasn’t on regular rotation and would feedback at reasonable loud volume.

Because of those things, I decided to trade it.

I definitely got the better of the trade, as the PRS sounds and plays way better than the LP did.

Back