T-Top Replicas on LPC

Hi, I would like to change the pickups on my Les Paul Custom, I really don't like the 498T and 490R, I'm looking for a classic sound, many of the pieces I play are U2 covers, and these pickups really don't convince me.
I would like to go back to the T-Tops, I had the Manlius T-Tops on a Les Paul and I liked them, but having to buy the gold colored pickups again, I would like to explore other possibilities.
Do you have anything to recommend?
I'm curious about the Solodallas Solo71 "T-Top" but I haven't found many reviews, do you know them?

In principle the T-top shouldn't be that hard for a winder to nail - there's nothing mysterious about it.

I would say that my mid-70s pair sounded better to me than the recent Gibson T-types, but there wasn't much in it. My guess is magnet strength wasn't quite the same. No experience with the Solodallas or Manlius stuff.

Dean Deleo from Stone Temple Pilots uses Seymour Duncan Jazz set off the shelf when he needs new pickups because it sounds like T Tops to his ears. His main guitars were late 70s LPs with T Tops.

I bought a set of vintage T Tops to try a few years ago and can confirm there’s nothing super special about them. The Duncan Jazz should work well because they are lower output alnico 5 pickups made like they did in the 70s with that same wire and even wound coils.

Also FYI, Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pickups are the same as Duncan Jazz except with alnico 2 magnets. So if you are the least bit handy, you can swap magnets for about $10. I have a set of Alnico 2 Pro that I just swapped A5 magnets into and they sound very much like you'd expect from T-Tops. Just another option if you find a good deal on a used set like I did.

Back