Strings for less used guitars - coated?

dk_ace

Roadie
I use slinky’s on my main guitar. For the guitars that see less action, I’m considering putting something that lasts longer on them. I remember trying some elixir coated strings many years ago and not caring for them, but I’ve heard that the coating tech is a lot better now.

I also seem to remember nickel strings holding up really well.

Anyone used the modern coated strings and compared them to other things? The guitars these would go on are generally vintagish things, nothing really modern.

D

I mainly use D’addario NYXLs - they seem to last a long time even on my less used guitars. For coated, I liked the D’addario XT better than the Elixirs as the coating doesn’t feel as obvious.

I guess it depends on your environment and how you use them? Body chemistry is a factor too. I just use the standard D'Addario and they hold up just fine. You could always use a dab of WD40 on a cloth and clean each string if it feels grimey?

Last edited:
Just found and installed some Ernie Ball strings that I found in a drawer.
Check out the defective G string between the skulls 🤦🏻‍♂️
image.jpg

I don’t have weird body chemistry or anything like that, my strings generally last a long time when I’m actively playing the guitar.

The ones that get less use are where the issues tend to show up.

I’m in an area that is humid most of the year, so that’s definitely a factor.

D

I mainly use D’addario NYXLs - they seem to last a long time even on my less used guitars. For coated, I liked the D’addario XT better than the Elixirs as the coating doesn’t feel as obvious.

Is there much difference between the ny and the xt?

Is there much difference between the ny and the xt?

Not to me in sound - the XT just are a little more “slippery” with the coating - if I was still gigging I might use the XTs but I’m good with the NYXL sound and string life.

Fwiw I recall seeing a Tommy Emmaneul interview about strings where he said some guitars like new strings, some like old strings and occasionally just the same gauge but a different brand will freshen the guitar up. I know nothing at all about coated.

I find that my Reverend needs more string changes than any other, while my Squier Tele can sound fine after a year – but not so good with new strings.

Humidity and stretching on the neck will make any string deteriorate over time, but if you aren’t playing it much finger oils aren’t going to rust anything.

I use elixers on everything. 2 weeks ago I sold a guitar I did a small tour with about 3.5 years ago, and hardly played it since…they where still ok(ish)
The early elixers sounded a duller then their non coated equivalents when they are fresh..but the non coated loose that so fast…a non issue.
These days they also have a line where that difference is a bit less (i think the green ones)

Elixers feel a bit weird/oily at first… now that I’m used to that…I actually prefer that,

I have a similar situation with a couple guitars: an SSS strat and a Martin acoustic. I don't play them as often as my others, and need a string that won't corrode just sitting there.

I don't fuck around with coated shit, though. Get a set of these (literally gold plated, and gold does not tarnish):

Electric guitars:

They used to be called Maxima and have been around for decades.

I once had a set of Optimas last for over a year with regular playing when I first gave them a test drive (a very long test drive). They do eventually wear out, but the tone stays brighter over a longer period of time than anything else out there.

I have a similar situation with a couple guitars: an SSS strat and a Martin acoustic. I don't play them as often as my others, and need a string that won't corrode just sitting there.

I don't fuck around with coated shit, though. Get a set of these (literally gold plated, and gold does not tarnish):

Electric guitars:

They used to be called Maxima and have been around for decades.

I once had a set of Optimas last for over a year with regular playing when I first gave them a test drive (a very long test drive). They do eventually wear out, but the tone stays brighter over a longer period of time than anything else out there.
They do sound like shit though which is a bit of a problem . Dad's NYXL sound normal and last just as long.

They do sound like shit though which is a bit of a problem . Dad's NYXL sound normal and last just as long.

Maybe it's your gear; I've never had a problem with the tone through a modded to '68 plexi 50 watter Marshall or a real '66 Deluxe. Or ADA MP-1. Or my Rockman half racks. Or any amp sim plugin.

Brian May has being using them forever; don't think he sounds like shit, either.

And no way a coated string would beat actual gold for lasting; gold never tarnishes.

Here's four clips I did with my SC strat with Optimas; different playing and different tone (clean / dirty):

Steve Morse - Ghostwind:

The Sails Of Charon - Scorpions:

Kill The King - Rainbow:

Yngvie fucking around:

You sure about that? :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe it's your gear; I've never had a problem with the tone through a modded to '68 plexi 50 watter Marshall or a real '66 Deluxe. Or ADA MP-1. Or my Rockman half racks. Or any amp sim plugin.

Brian May has being using them forever; don't think he sounds like shit, either.

And no way a coated string would beat actual gold for lasting; gold never tarnishes.

Here's four clips I did with my SC strat with Optimas; different playing and different tone (clean / dirty):

Steve Morse - Ghostwind:

The Sails Of Charon - Scorpions:

Kill The King - Rainbow:

Yngvie fucking around:

You sure about that? :LOL:

Yes they are the worst sounding strings on the market compared with normal strings on the same instrument. They also are dead from day one after the decade in the warehouse waiting for someone to buy them .🤣

I am doing a longer term test on the EBMM Titanium reinforced coated strings to see how they hold up on my new guitars. I think these have been around for a while now. Lots of rehearsals and gigs over July with a bunch outdoors so should be interesting. I had the Paradigm ones a few years back and they would get gritty and sound lousy after a short while.

I have a bunch of D'addario XT strings that work decently but I get a really great deal on anything EBMM so I figured I would give these a try. Thus far, they have been fantastic!

Could also just try some string cleaner too. I had elixir on my main guitar and realized after several weeks of playing it was going dead from all the playing. I forgot it’s not just oxidation but also stretching and the wear from frets.

Back