Strat and Tele Intonation: Why E & G string saddles further back?

JCW308

Roadie
Hey guys- I just installed new Graphtech saddles on my Tele and as I was doing it, it hit me that the E string saddle and G string saddle are always further back than the other 4 saddles. Back forward forward back forward forward setup.

Why is this?

I got my Tele perfectly intonated and this was the pattern, too. Strange.

I noticed the G string before but never noticed the E. You sir, tell no lies-

FCDD0554-F46D-4EB8-ACD0-0482089659C8.jpeg

Interesting. It seems like a really good setup always includes that same pattern. What's the physics behind it?

Tension of Wound strings vs unwound strings I guess?

A set of 09s is what 09, 11, 13, 22, 32, 42.

The core of the wound strings is the same isn't it? And because I can't be bothered to look, I'm guessing that the tension will be derived from cross sectional area, maybe the density of the material, the frequency of the note you want and the scale length.

Mine tend to sit in 2 pairs of diagonals like this.

IMG_20220908_095141_(1910_x_2597_pixel).jpg

The core of the wound strings is the same isn't it? And because I can't be bothered to look, I'm guessing that the tension will be derived from cross sectional area, maybe the density of the material, the frequency of the note you want and the scale length.

View attachment 1138

Sir, I’m going to need you to send me that Axis so I can see the saddles in person and get a better view. I’ll PM you my address, thanks man!

View attachment 1138
I’ve always wanted to try one of those!

View attachment 1138
Nope, that's not it at all. There's more to it.

Back