Stoptail bridges; do you wrap around?

Wrapping feels looser and let’s you screw down the tailpiece to the body without making the break angle too severe.
I personally prefer through but raising the tailpiece to the correct hight to prevent a double contact with the abr1 and particularly with a Nashville. The optimal position is higher than most people think.

No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Wrapping feels looser and let’s you screw down the tailpiece to the body without making the break angle too severe.
I personally prefer through but raising the tailpiece to the correct hight to prevent a double contact with the abr1 and particularly with a Nashville. The optimal position is higher than most people think.

Any recommendations on what that would be exactly? Or generally?

304472DF-DEAA-41B6-9082-8A7FEE12A0AD.jpeg

I don’t do it BUT this LP is in drop B and I’m at 12-60.

I need that tightness for the riffs I’m doing. If you’re not doing Crowbar type stuff/playing slower riff type tunes do your thing.

View attachment 4453

I don’t do it BUT this LP is in drop B and I’m at 12-60.

I need that tightness for the riffs I’m doing. If you’re not doing Crowbar type stuff/playing slower riff type tunes do your thing.
Not only does that not mean the tension in the string itself is any different but the intonation point is pushed forward and the double contact interferes with the tone and reduces the down force on the witness points. This is the worst of all situations.

Maybe not a popular opinion but I think the tune-o-matic bridge is not a very solid design.
With time, string tension bends the saddle out of shape and moves it forward creating intonation problems.

"Collapsed" (concave) tune-o-matic bridges and bent posts are way too common especially the older ABR-1 models.
Wraparound mitigates this.

bent-abr-1-bridge.JPG

RedSG.jpg

Maybe not a popular opinion but I think the tune-o-matic bridge is not a very solid design.
With time, string tension bends the saddle out of shape and moves it forward creating intonation problems.

"Collapsed" (concave) tune-o-matic bridges and bent posts are way too common especially the older ABR-1 models.

bent-abr-1-bridge.JPG

RedSG.jpg
It's not so much the design as the pot metal.

bent-abr-1-bridge.JPG

RedSG.jpg
Genuinely, this is the first time I've *ever* seen anything like this!

I had what I think was a 90's GOTOH TOM bridge on mine with no issues, but I recently swapped it out for a TonePros locking bridge, not for any reason other than aesthetics really!

Genuinely, this is the first time I've *ever* seen anything like this!

I had what I think was a 90's GOTOH TOM bridge on mine with no issues, but I recently swapped it out for a TonePros locking bridge, not for any reason other than aesthetics really!
Gotoh make that too.

Back