Still Learning To Listen To That Voice In My Head!

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Figured I should start a new thread, so as to not clog up the GAS thread, in which I jumped in with...

Well, I won't be gassing for any new Majesties for a while, and it's good I didn't get that Kaizen...., because Monday I broke my left heel!

I jumped to the gravel driveway in a split-second reaction, when I saw the aluminum walk board I was working on start to move away from the house. It was mounted to a ladder leaning against the wall, and when it moved, I just reacted and jumped, landing on both my heels, and breaking one.

Thing is, I saw that the setup wasn't ideal, and I should've listened to that voice in my head, and fix it right away, but I didn't.

Fortunately, (after 7 freaking hours in the ER), I don't need surgery, so that's a blessing. But I also hurt my other foot, so getting around on crutches is still painful, as I have to place all my weight on that foot to use them.

But I had a friend come and get me yesterday and take me to buy a knee scooter, so that takes care of allowing me good mobility around the house. I'm getting really good at making 5-point turns in the kitchen!

Anyway..., my sister has an account with one of those grocery delivery apps, so that'll handle me getting food. And I talked with my boss' wife and the insurance company today to get the claim started. One thing at a time.

Trying to remember the RICE acronym- rest, ice, compression, elevation. I wrap it, get it elevated, watch Better Call Saul (again), then it swells and starts to hurt, so I take the wrap off and ice it, and repeat.

I just called the Ortho Clinic I was linked to at the hospital, and found out they don't take Workers Comp claims. Wonderful. Guess that's my next hurdle.

And no, I haven't yet been in the mood to play any guitar yet, but that damn well better change, because I'm in for at least a 2-month recovery. I can't believe this shit!

Yeah, the venerable "voice in the head" that thinks it's always right, and most of the time is. The battle is knowing THOSE times, at the RIGHT times. Good luck with that! :grin

No use second guessing anything now, just continue on the path to heeling up (did u see what I did there?) :pickle

Go play some guitar!

Man, I have a REAL hard time asking people for help when it comes to...., well, pretty much anything unless it's at work. I'm the kind of guy who would WANT someone to not hesitate to ask ME for help, and I'd gladly help for free, but when the shoe's on the other foot, I feel so guilty about putting people out, so to speak. sigh

Ran into roadblock after roadblock trying to find an ortho that would take w/c ins. in my area, that finally I just had to call my boss's wife (who's handling everything) and basically put it on her desk.

I hate our healthcare system in general. Everything is so specialized and compartmentalized, which I completely understand is best for the actual care we get, but it can make navigating the system SO FREAKING DIFFICULT, because if you don't get to just the right person, or ask your questions in just the right way, you get bounced around from person to person, waiting on hold (ALWAYS WAITING ON HOLD) over and over. And the person you talk to knows only THEIR part of the equation. I was in the ER 7 hours Monday!

For example, the ortho doc I saw yesterday at the ER was the person who told me to follow up with an app't with the ortho clinic, also under the same umbrella as the hospital. He knew my injury was a work comp claim, yet he didn't know to inform me that the clinic wouldn't take W/C ins. I had to find that out after being on the phone for 45 fucking minutes!

Which by the way, you know how when you've been on hold for anything over a couple minutes, and you're listening to whatever HORRIBLE, static-filled music they have playing, and the music has these really brief interruptions every so often? And EVERY SINGLE TIME that happens, you get this jolt of adrenaline, because you think someone's about to pick up the phone? :cuss:cuss

Why can't they fix that? :hmm

And no, I still haven't played my guitar. But I'm going to tonight! I have a buddy picking up my prescriptions and some pizzas, and then I'm playing the rest of the night!

What a day!!

Getting banged up sucks, especially when it brings your normal routine to a grinding halt. Back in the nineties I busted up my wrist pretty good, resulting in my right hand being completely unusable for a few weeks.

Ever try to wipe your ass with your non-dominant hand?

I didn't mention, I live alone, and don't have typical neighbors. I'm out in the country, and the nearest houses are a mile away, so I've never met any of them. I like the seclusion though, but it's times like this I do wish I had kids. My only immediate family is a sister, but she lives an hour away. Not that she'd hesitate; she's been very helpful to me over the years when I've needed it. But I'm trying to remain as independent as I've grown accustomed to living my life, even through this ordeal.

Plus, my boss and the guys I work with are all a phone call away, but I'm purposely saving that chit for a ramp. hehe

Even though today was a PITA, it hasn't been a PITH. Been pretty much pain-free all day. So that's good! :banana

This is also going to give me time to work on my 3-D drawing skills, which I have an idea for using them in a construction capacity. Trying to see the glass as half-full.

I didn't mention, I live alone, and don't have typical neighbors. I'm out in the country, and the nearest houses are a mile away, so I've never met any of them. I like the seclusion though, but it's times like this I do wish I had kids. My only immediate family is a sister, but she lives an hour away. Not that she'd hesitate; she's been very helpful to me over the years when I've needed it. But I'm trying to remain as independent as I've grown accustomed to living my life, even through this ordeal.

Plus, my boss and the guys I work with are all a phone call away, but I'm purposely saving that chit for a ramp. hehe

Even though today was a PITA, it hasn't been a PITH. Been pretty much pain-free all day. So that's good! :banana

This is also going to give me time to work on my 3-D drawing skills, which I have an idea for using them in a construction capacity. Trying to see the glass as half-full.

What 3D progs you like to work in? I've been at it for over 30 years on and off, starting with AutoCad in the early 90's!

And I was about to suggest from the thread title that NOT listening to the voice saying "Kill! Kill! Kill them all!" is healthy... :bonk

Snide comments aside, I am sorry to hear of the injury and troubles with the health system - which compounds the misery on top of the actual pain. If you can skill-up in some way during the downtime - silver lining.

What 3D progs you like to work in? I've been at it for over 30 years on and off, starting with AutoCad in the early 90's!
Sketchup. Been using it going on 10 years. My carpentry background is mostly framing (but nowadays I pretty much can do anything), so I use it as a tool to help me with figuring out builds. Not that I can't do it from just using the architectural & structural plans, but, technology makes everything faster, even after I figure my time in generating the model.

This is my latest. (I don't draw parts that I don't need to see, like existing walls, etc. That's why it doesn't look like it's finished.)

Keehner-Latest.jpg

Dude it sucks to hear that you are dealing with some struggles. It does sound like you are remaining positive, and keeping up treatment. Sounds like, while not close, you have some who will do for you if you really need...which is reassuring I hope.

Living in the middle of nowhere does change things ...I know. And I understand the neighbor thing too. Careful forethought and planning of your life a week in advance will have to be the case for a minute.

At least you have someone to help with the w/c trouble, that crap sucks ..I know.

Keep up with the beneficial skill improvement, take advantage of the free time...and I hope you don't go too stir crazy.

I completely understand that it is difficult to ask for help. You seem like someone whom helps others often. Those you ask, I am sure know that and also know you wouldn't ask if you didn't really need it. Don't feel bad asking, we all need help from time to time ...we are human.

Heal up brother, don't get too down ..and learn something new. You got this dude.

Sketchup. Been using it going on 10 years. My carpentry background is mostly framing (but nowadays I pretty much can do anything), so I use it as a tool to help me with figuring out builds. Not that I can't do it from just using the architectural & structural plans, but, technology makes everything faster, even after I figure my time in generating the model.

This is my latest. (I don't draw parts that I don't need to see, like existing walls, etc. That's why it doesn't look like it's finished.)

View attachment 26176
V Cool! I love sketch up when I need to get something done quick!! One of the most intuitive UI's I have ever played with in 3D progs ;~)) I have a copy of chief architect if you would like to play with it, but it is probably >10 years old. Makes architectural stuff FAST because of all the industry specific settings and models included with it. My fav 3D prog to work in is Lightwave, but that is largely because of all the training I did on it in the late 90's/early 00's on that software!!! That and of course, it's rendering engine which at the time, was Hollywood quality! If I can find my Chief Architect model I did of my house, I will PM an image of it to you ;~)) Good luck on improving your skills during the downtime, but beware of that third dimension, it can get deep ;~))

Back