Speaking of Subs..

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I want one.

I have Yamaha HS5 monitors..should I spring for the matching 8" sub? Anyone have experience with one or should I look at something else?

Presonus Eris 8" is decent for $179 ($199 for 2nd gen with Bluetooth) . Has adjustable crossover/filter.

71-onkAEIUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, I have the HS-5’s and an entertainment system sub. If you’re going to stick with the HS-5’s I’d get the matching HS sub. I’ve wasted a lot of time trying to guess the relationship between the speakers/sub that I believe would be eliminated if they were made to work together.

I decided after the recent song I finished that before any new guitars or amps, I really should step up my monitor situation. I’m undecided if I’m just going to get HS-8’s or switch to something entirely different, either way I’m going to have to learn new speakers and it might be beneficial to have two different brands for reference.

Is an 8" sub going to cut it? I have a QSC K8.2 and when playing bass through that, the low E fundimental falls apart compared to higher fundamentals.

The cheaper Genelec units are excellent. I paid £400 used for a 7050C.

If you can find something with an adjustable phase control (more than just polarity flip) and adjustable cut off, you’ll have much more luck fitting it into your system nicely.

A measurement mic goes a long way too, you can set a decent level and make sure you are improving things rather than making them worse. A Behringer measurement mic is £35 and you can even sell it after. It’ll more than pay itself off in time saved and headaches when trying to get it dialled in

I had an ev ekx15sp that was overkill. It was fantastic but not terribly accurate for studio use. Great for the roland drums and shaking the house though. (And the neighbour's house and their neighbours)
Yadda yadda
Sold it and got the yamaha hs8s
Very tight and responsive.
It's clinical and as long as you stay under 100db it's very good. Not the earth shattering power that I used to have but I wanted something more accurate.
I mix at under 90db so it's good for me.
For power i would go back to the old EV any day.

I think for a recording and mixing rig an 8" or 10" is plenty. I haven't even come close to
maxing out mine and I thump. A lot of times listening to tunes for enjoyment it can make
the walls shimmy a bit. :banana

Going to take measurements to see if the JBL 10" sub will fit under my desk
An 8 is tons. The big difference is that the lows will now have their own driver and things will sound cleaner.

The yammy is very flat.
If you set the crossover at 80hz you get down to 40hz pretty evenly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213_223313.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_223313.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10
@la szum do you have and use that Eris sub? If so what are your thoughts? Was looking at the newer krk offerings but I'd want a crossover Point that's a little higher like the Eris as my HS5's drop off around 100hz

I do. I agree. I don't want no sticking 30-60Hz crossover! WTF?! :LOL:

I have had it for about 4 years now. Never really thought of upgrading as it does
what I want it to. :idk

It had all the I/Os and features I wanted, and the price was kind of ridiculous, so why not?

If I am doing something wrong I can't blame it on the sub. :idk

The gain control is great, because then you can pump your sub more or less. I probably
use it less than I could. I don't use it to blow anything out, just to fill out and then take
some load off of my monitors.

I am a bit peeved. I had my Gain and Crossover Freq all dialed in on the Sub, after not touching
it since dialing it in a couple of years ago to what I felt suited the room the best. Then I had the
most dangerous thought ever. You guys know the one. Why don't I tweak it? Might get better?

Well, I did. Now I can't get it back to where it was.

Mother fooker!! :facepalm

A wild Eris 8BT Sub appeared!
20231220_221313.jpg

Cleaned the desk area, rearranged my cable snake and realized some the cables I ordered are just a touch too short :facepalm and Amazon sent me an Aux to mono cable instead of a TRS cable so wiring will not be finalized.

My first REW measurement was most likely botched because it gave me a nice smooth reading from 20 to 100 hz while my first Sonarworks measurement says I need to turn the sub down and play with the position/phase. I've actually never used REW to measure a room before :sofa

I'll have to try again tomorrow because I was already past 10pm with sine sweeps, and these kids.

I ended up getting the HS8’s, hoping it would solve all my bass issues and learned some things in the process.

1-RTFM. I was using the HS5’s for about 6 years without knowing what the Room Control function actually did. :rofl
2- My room is already flat as flat can get, which I learned by RTFM and what that Room Control is for.
3- I’m getting the HS8 sub

I can hear the bass information when I’m mixing/listening, but I can’t feel it. I still have my old sub hooked up so I slowly turned it up while playing music and there was the feeling, but it seems entirely pointless to me to go through a monitor upgrade and still have to 2nd guess the sub frequencies, so fuck it, I’m just going to buy the damn sub and be done with it. GC has them around $300 used.

Back