Something To Inspire You... To Just, QUIT! Haha

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
The level of accomplishment out there is astounding!! If you don't watch the whole thing, at least skip to the end and watch the last guy. WHAT/HOW does he do that?

Oh, and lots of Keisel guitars represented.

I can listen to Michael Dawes play all day long. How the hell was that dude at the end doing that? Is he picking the notes with his fretting hand ring ringer and getting the harmonics with his forefinger?! That's nuts. That Marcin dude is somethin' else, too. That sounds like Vai going apesh*t on an acoustic better than Vai sounds going apesh*t on an acoustic. Jesus Cristos.

I can listen to Michael Dawes play all day long. How the hell was that dude at the end doing that? Is he picking the notes with his fretting hand ring ringer and getting the harmonics with his forefinger?! That's nuts. That Marcin dude is somethin' else, too. That sounds like Vai going apesh*t on an acoustic better than Vai sounds going apesh*t on an acoustic. Jesus Cristos.
I think I figured out what he's doing.

You know how a pinch harmonic is really just a harmonic of that particular note, at that end of the string? I.e., the same harmonic exists at the other end? (a 5th fret harmonic is the same at the 24th fret; a 7th and 19th are the same.)
I see him touching the strings lightly with his fretting hand, which means he's getting those harmonics at that end of the string, but he's also lightly touching strings with his fretting hand.

So he's getting harmonics at both ends, using both hands to pluck and touch the strings, as needed. Very cool! And lots of brain CPU!

Yeah and Marcin is awesome, but I'd bet he's "lip syncing" in the video. Not that he can't play that shit, but nailing that pick-across-the-strings-above-the-nut as fast as he did, looks to me like you do it wrong and you're gonna lose a fingernail. (I could be wrong though.)

Not gonna lie here: Yeah, guilty of being jealous - at least at some spots. Partially very jealous.

But with that out of the way, all I can say that even after 1/10 of the video, my demand for one year worth of guitar notes was sufficiently covered.
I do have a sweet spot for technical proficiency, but that's just sheer note amount overkill.

So many awesome guitars, nice to see guitarist moving away from Gibson, Fender and other relics stuck in time.

I can’t remember ever listening to a great guitarist and caring about the relative age of the design of the guitar they’re using.

Who cares?

What difference does it make if a piece is performed on a 70 year old design or a 7 day old design if it’s a great piece of music?

I’ve heard modern guitarists create amazing music on modern guitars and I’ve heard modern guitarists create amazing music on old 50s guitars. The thing they all had in common was great musicians making great music. The age of the tools is irrelevant.

Wow. Part of me is jealous of the technical ability, but that same part knows how much shut-in/alone time that takes. I gotta get outside once in a while.

Possibly one thing to consider:
Outside of clinics and what not, most of these folks aren't playing live regularly. But that's one of *the* main things I enjoy about making music - playing out live with other folks. And even if it might be a deliberate decision to rather stay at home and noodle your 32nd triplets at 276BPM, shredding doesn't exactly help you to get on stage, either. The live playing folks will know that it's rhythm guitars paying the bills. The occasional solo spot is really just some icing on the cake.

So many awesome guitars, nice to see guitarist moving away from Gibson, Fender and other relics stuck in time.

I can’t remember ever listening to a great guitarist and caring about the relative age of the design of the guitar they’re using.

Who cares?

What difference does it make if a piece is performed on a 70 year old design or a 7 day old design if it’s a great piece of music?

I’ve heard modern guitarists create amazing music on modern guitars and I’ve heard modern guitarists create amazing music on old 50s guitars. The thing they all had in common was great musicians making great music. The age of the tools is irrelevant.

Back