So you like Electra Dynes, eh?

TubeStack

Rock Star
Had to take a pic of my setup for practice the other night. :love

I brought both so I could compare, because I couldn’t shake the feeling that the smaller one sounded way better than the big one. It ended up being true, so I’m gonna put new power tubes in the bigger head, which should even it out.

IMG_7051.jpeg

Yeah, I've found without something to compare to, it's difficult to know when your amp needs new power tubes.

I have a 2:90 that I think could sound better, but I've never had a new one, so I'm not positive, and it won't be cheap to know for sure.

Yeah, I've found without something to compare to, it's difficult to know when your amp needs new power tubes.

I have a 2:90 that I think could sound better, but I've never had a new one, so I'm not positive, and it won't be cheap to know for sure.

Yes! Way more punch + lows and highs on the small one, which has much newer power tubes.

But hard not to wonder if it’s not just in your head when you’re playing the big one, with no immediate reference point.

Last edited:
I sold that a while ago, very cool little combo, but I didn’t have a specific use for it and probably wanted something else already, at the time, lol.

But.... but I was never given a chance to say, "Good-Bye!" :hugitout

:rofl

I was actually able to try that when I first got the smaller one, because it had EL34s already in it. But for me, it lost the magic. That addictive hugeness was gone.

That's so funny. That is exactly why I didn't bond with the amp. :idk

:LOL:

Fuck me that’s epic :love :love :love

Extra depressed that deal didn’t go down for me

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Another one will come your way!

You could swap the tubes between the 2 dynes to see if the tone follows the tubes. Just a thought.

Great idea, however I actually have a whole set just sitting here, so I’m just gonna pop it in (TWSS), less messing around,

I bought it when there was that big scare of a tube shortage.

(Power tubes that is, my understanding is you don’t need to change preamp tubes unless there’s a problem, or you want to fine-tune things.)

Some amps just sound a bit different---even if they are the same exact model. :idk

Yes, for sure, and then there’s differences in tolerance/accuracy of the potentiometers or whatever, as Cliff has mentioned related to fractal models.

Line up any ten 2204s and they’re all going to sound slightly different, as we know.

But this does sound and feel like a loss of punch and power, along with some highs and lows, and I know the power tubes are pretty old, so hopefully a “refill” does it.

Almost convinced my buddy to trade my Shiva and Electra Dyne for his Friedman JJ yesterday. I’m not looking to get rid of the ED, but for a JJ it’d be out the door with a bow on it!

Back