So... does 48v/PP melt the XLR outs of the Helix or not?

Their statement is a bit problematic. I.e. laptops are excellent noise sources, a short unbalanced cable is all it takes to pick it up.
Realistically it's probably ok. Just deselect the instrument input button.

Yes, TRS/XLR combo jacks carry the phantom power only on the XLR pins. At least those that I came across and measured.
The XLR out of the helix does not contain 48v though? The TRS input of the 2i2 doesn't have 48v either.

edit: @DieSchmalle Sorry, misread your quote above. :grin

Last edited:
haha, well nothing bad will happen. But it's fine from a level/gain perspective. Yes, if you use a 30ft ts cable you're opening up the chance for noise.
A noisy mainboard close to the recording interface is a common scenario is all I'm saying.

I'm talking about the general case:
Use a TRS plug when you want to make sure a XLR/TRS combo input jack doesn't damage your device with phantom power.
Yeah, I put an edit above. Sorry I misread what you wrote.

Only one way to find out
Happy Birthday Party GIF by The Office

Hey folks,
If we go by the Helix manual it says to never connect the XLR out to a device that has 48v engaged (Like my Scarlett 2i2 does all the time),
Are you certain of that? My 2i2 has a switch for phantom power.
You guys are knowledged (I guess?) and have some experience. What's the truth here? I mean, yes, basically I should do what the official manual tells me, but it seems that ymmv in this situation.
Phantom power should be applied through 6.8k series resistors. If shorted to circuit common - worst case for current draw - this would result in less than ten milliamps, which won't cause permanent damage to much of anything.

OTOH, devices with active outputs - like the Helix - should not be connected to phantom power, as that can seriously degrade audio quality.

Last edited:
Are you certain of that? My 2i2 has a switch for phantom power.
Worded that misleading. 2i2 has a switch, but a global one (IIRC). My condenser vocal mic is in input 2 and it needs 48v. Therefore 48v is always on globall on m 2i2. Wrote at another point I could surely unplug the Helix everytime I activate 48v, but I bet I will forget that somewhere down the line. Repeatedly.

Phantom power should be applied through 6.8k series resistors. If shorted to circuit common - worst case for current draw - this would result in less than one milliamp, which won't cause permanent damage to much of anything.
48V / 6800Ohm = 7mA, but yes, the direct current shouldn't be a problem...

Back